My wifi is fast but ethernet is slow?

Go to solution Solved by drag0nblood,

Ok so i tried something stupid, i switched the settings back to 100Mb/s and tested it surprisingly i got ~100Mb/s. I got my hopes up and switched back to 1000Mb/s and boom 200Mb/s lan speed. I should be happy bot it bothers me that i dont know why.

Thank you all for your help :)

have a good day/night

Hi,

I recently bought a Fritz!Box 7490. I have noticed that my WiFi speeds are around 200Mb/s down and 20Mb/s up, my Ethernet speeds are around 70Mb/s down and 20Mb/s up.

I have tested with cat 5, 5e and 6 cables on various different laptops (late 2011 Macbook pro, MSI GT70 20c) also in different ports of the router. 

My ISP provides 200Mb/s down and 20Mb/s upload speeds.

The router has 4 1Gb/s lan ports.

If anyone can think of a solution to get the Ethernet speed up to 200Mb/s i would like to hear it very much.

(i am not native in English so sorry for any mistakes)

get a router with 1000Mbps ports instead of 100?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Can your router output a wired gigabit connection?

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

Yes it can i have also checked the settings and they are set to 1Gb/s. I have also checked that nobody esle is using internet.

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

get a router with 1000Mbps ports instead of 100?

3 minutes ago, Joegeddon said:

Can your router output a wired gigabit connection?

according to this website, it's meant to be gigabit ports :/ 

http://www.trustedreviews.com/avm-fritz-box-7490-review

but upon reading the negatives, it seems that they've disabled gigabit throughput on the ports and limited it to 100 so go into your router settings and change it :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, drag0nblood said:

Yes it can i have also checked the settings and they are set to 1Gb/s. I have also checked that nobody esle is using internet.

Ah, didn't update so...dayum...you sure your PC has a gigabit nic? maybe it's that? 

28 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ah, didn't update so...dayum...you sure your PC has a gigabit nic? maybe it's that? 

Yes I am sure. I also tried in with my gaming desktop which has a MSI Z97A Gaming 7 motherboard, again same results.

6 minutes ago, drag0nblood said:

Yes I am sure. I also tried in with my gaming desktop which has a MSI Z97A Gaming 7 motherboard, again same results.

The only possible way it's capped at 70mbps is either you're using a cat 5 cable or you're internet speed maxes out at 70mbps...but you get 200 on wifi...damn...

Ok so i tried something stupid, i switched the settings back to 100Mb/s and tested it surprisingly i got ~100Mb/s. I got my hopes up and switched back to 1000Mb/s and boom 200Mb/s lan speed. I should be happy bot it bothers me that i dont know why.

Thank you all for your help :)

have a good day/night