USB vs Audio jack sound quality

boba99999
Go to solution Solved by rhyseyness,

Short answer: the two can't be compared.

One is digital and one is analogue.

It depends on the hardware driving it and what you're listening to (what headphones/speakers) as to whether it's high quality or not.

The USB signal will have to be converted to analogue at some point to drive your speakers/headphones.

Once it's converted, it's "the same" as the audio jack output.

The difference really is where in the chain it's converted from digital to analogue.

USB is converted to analogue in the device which is connected.

Your audio jack output is from a DAC within the device you're connecting to (phone/PC/etc.)

Why are you asking? We'll be able to give you some more helpful advice if we have this information.

Sorry if this is a poor explanation, but like I said, let us know what this is regarding and we can give more helpful advice.

Hope this helps :)

For a headset, which sound better, USB or audio jack?

Depends on the product you are purchasing. I've used both, and they both sound fine. Until one of them died of course :P 

Look up some reviews of the product you are interested in. It is the best way to actually get an idea if they sound well or not.

It depends on the hardware driving it and what you're listening to (what headphones/speakers) as to whether it's high quality or not.

The USB signal will have to be converted to analogue at some point to drive your speakers/headphones.

The difference really is where in the chain it's converted from digital to analogue.

Your audio jack output is from a DAC within the device you're connecting to (phone/PC/etc.)

Why are you asking? We'll be able to give you some more helpful advice if we have this information.

Sorry if this is a poor explanation, but like I said, let us know what this is regarding and we can give more helpful advice.

59 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

I agree to that. To add on, you only use USB when you have a better external DAC than the built in one in your PC. other than that it's hard to compare and depends on what you using with.

[Music]

~Westone 4R(Reshelled) ~AKG K3003 ~AudioEngine A2+/White

[PC]

~Intel i5 6600K ~MSI Z170 Krait Gaming ~Sapphire Nitro R9 380X ~G.Skill RIPJAWS 8GB ~Seasonic G Series 650W ~CoolerMaster Seidon 120V Plus ~NZXT H440/White

2 hours ago, SPAS-ID said:

i think its Audio Jack, cause it made for Audio, while USB is Universal

No.

You can't compare the two. Depends on the dac, as usb is digital. Usb can be better, or worse. Depends o.k. motherboards Audio Jack quality, and usb dac quality.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."