Should I wait for Vega?

I'm gonna make a build some time towards the end of this year and I initially thought I would go for an Intel + NVIDIA setup but my budget won't allow that.

This build will be used for 4k 60fps gaming and game development.

I'll take a zen, I guess. Should I wait for Vega or go with a dual crossfire polaris? Or should I buy one Vega (if it is released this year) and then install a navi later for a crossfire?

Highly doubt that a Vega card will be able to Crossfire with a Navi card. Two different types of memory (HBM2 vs Nexgen).

I'd wait for both NVIDIA and AMD to release their flagship GPUs and to avoid Crossfire/SLI entirely.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

4 minutes ago, Vlence said:

I'm gonna make a build some time towards the end of this year and I initially thought I would go for an Intel + NVIDIA setup but my budget won't allow that.

I'll take a zen, I guess. Should I wait for Vega or go with a dual crossfire polaris? Or should I buy one Vega (if it is released this year) and then install a navi later for a crossfire?

what is your budget?

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

4 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

What is your full budget?

3 minutes ago, crysilis said:

what is your budget?

Something like 6000 usd... :P

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I think the better question to ask is "how badly do you need this system?"

Because the answer is always to wait.

How badly? Like my current system doesn't even have a graphics card kinda badly

7 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Highly doubt that a Vega card will be able to Crossfire with a Navi card. Two different types of memory (HBM2 vs Nexgen).

I'd wait for both NVIDIA and AMD to release their flagship GPUs and to avoid Crossfire/SLI entirely.

OK. Explain nexgen to me. Should I get a single Vega and then get crossfire Navi when it comes out? I'll sell off the Vega if I get the navi

12 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Here's a rumour on R9 490X specs. Take with a planet-sized heap of salt: http://videocardz.com/amd/radeon-rx-400/radeon-rx-490

I'd not believe it until we get a source c:

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 minutes ago, Vlence said:

OK. Explain nexgen to me. Should I get a single Vega and then get crossfire Navi when it comes out? I'll sell off the Vega if I get the navi

To put it simply - it's next gen memory. Nobody knows what it specifically is or how it works. But we know that it's going to be different to Vega.

You want to only SLI/Crossfire high end GPUs. So assuming these GPUs are flagship models, then Crossfire Navi doesn't sound like a bad idea. Of course, also consider NVIDIA's own offering - Volta.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

12 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I think the better question to ask is "how badly do you need this system?"

Because the answer is always to wait.

This

Don't listen to anyone giving you advice regarding unreleased hardware. We don't know what it will be like. Instead of asking "should I wait" you should ask yourself "can I wait". If you can wait then do so. Buy what you need, when you need it (except if it's only like a month away from the next generation stuff). You will pretty much always end up with something better if you wait.

Do you need a graphics card right now (as in, you can not stand being without one right now)? If the answer is no then wait.

9 minutes ago, Vlence said:

This question is like asking:

"Should I buy a Ford Focus RS now and then trade it in for a Hover Car later?"

How can we possibly answer that question? Navi is two gens away. We don't even have reliable info on Vega or Big Pascal yet.

Frankly, if you CAN, you should wait until Vega is released, then compare that against the best NVIDIA has at that moment, and make your decision. FYI, Zen might not be out until early next year, so Vega will likely reach us before Zen does.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

23 minutes ago, Vlence said:

Usually crossfire or SLI is never the better option if ur talking about to lower end cards vs 1 high end one. So aslong as u don't need the Pc right away u should just wait it out and get a more powerfull card vega will still take a while, but the RX 480 won't be the last card in the polaris line-up so as I said just wait aslong as u can and keep yourself updated with the latest new and anouncements.

Spoiler

CPU: R7 5800x -- Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X v2 -- RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade -- GPU: Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming OC -- Case: Fractal Design North Walnut/Black Mesh -- Storage: 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 4TB NM790 -- PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power 11 Platinum 650w -- Displays: AOC AGON  AG352UCG, Dell Ultrasharp U2715H -- Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 -- Mouse: Corsair M65 -- Keyboard: Func KB 460 MX Blue -- Sound: Motu M2 -> THX 789 -> DT880 600Ω -- Mic: RØDE NT1-A

Spoiler

RIG 2: Intel i5-8400, 16 GB RAM, RTX 2070S

Spoiler

Save money, wait for VEGA, buy 2x 490X for superior performance the next 2-3 years.

Either way, a single 490X will most likely be plenty enough, even if CF doesnt work, to run most games maxed at 1440p for the next 2 years.

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

This question is like asking:

"Should I buy a Ford Focus RS now and then trade it in for a Hover Car later?"

How can we possibly answer that question? Navi is two gens away. We don't even have reliable info on Vega or Big Pascal yet.

Frankly, if you CAN, you should wait until Vega is released, then compare that against the best NVIDIA has at that moment, and make your decision. FYI, Zen might not be out until early next year, so Vega will likely reach us before Zen does.

Yes I can wait actually. But not for too long. I want an amd card and CPU specifically. Don't wanna spend too much. Plus I want the system for game dev and I'm just starting to learn

4 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Save money, wait for VEGA, buy 2x 490X for superior performance the next 2-3 years.

Either way, a single 490X will most likely be plenty enough, even if CF doesnt work, to run most games maxed at 1440p for the next 2 years.

Dude... I said 4k 60fps...

7 minutes ago, Vlence said:

Yes I can wait actually. But not for too long. I want an amd card and CPU specifically. Don't wanna spend too much. Plus I want the system for game dev and I'm just starting to learn

Why AMD specifically?

Define "can't wait for too long"? We might be ~6 months away from Zen and/or Vega. Navi is ~2 years away. If you can't wait for long then Zen and even Vega might be too far into the future for you. If that's the case then a X99 system and Pascal might suit you a lot better. You will never get good advice without providing the info necessary.

So you have started to learn game development. Do you actually know what kind of hardware you will need for that, or is this the inexperienced you trying to make a prediction what hardware you might need in the future?

Again, buy what you need, when you need it. Don't buy things assuming you will need them in the future. You usually just end up wasting money.

5 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Dude... I said 4k 60fps...

15 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

To put it simply - it's next gen memory. Nobody knows what it specifically is or how it works. But we know that it's going to be different to Vega.

You want to only SLI/Crossfire high end GPUs. So assuming these GPUs are flagship models, then Crossfire Navi doesn't sound like a bad idea. Of course, also consider NVIDIA's own offering - Volta.

Vega is supposed to be the flagship for the Polaris lineup, if what I heard is correct. If I should SLI or CrossFire only high end cards doesn't it beat the purpose of multiple GPUs? I mean, it's more affordable to stick two cheaper cards than two expensive ones.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Why AMD specifically?

Define "can't wait for too long"? We might be ~6 months away from Zen and/or Vega. Navi is ~2 years away. If you can't wait for long then Zen and even Vega might be too far into the future for you. If that's the case then a X99 system and Pascal might suit you a lot better. You will never get good advice without providing the info necessary.

So you have started to learn game development. Do you actually know what kind of hardware you will need for that, or is this the inexperienced you trying to make a prediction what hardware you might need in the future?

Again, buy what you need, when you need it. Don't buy things assuming you will need them in the future. You usually just end up wasting money.

By I can't wait too long means no more than 6 months.

I don't want NVIDIA because, well, I don't wanna spend all of that on something too expensive. See, I thought I would get myself an RX 480 and a 1070 so I could play around with GameWorks and GPUOpen while learning game dev but after reading a few posts, it has become apparent to me the drivers won't play too well. Especially when it comes to PhysX.

So I decided I'll get myself a dual polaris or vega. Cheaper and satisfactory performance, I guess.

33 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That doesn't really answer the urgency to be honest.

However, I wouldn't do multi-GPU setups to equal that of a better card. Just get a better card.

OK let me put it like this.

10 years old. Snail. Can't even play GTA 3 properly.

19 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Why AMD specifically?

not to mention. Whilst not required, having a Crossfire or SLI system as a developer is handy, as it simplifies bug-fixing on the developers side.

If he/she is planning to code for Vulcan (most likely unless he picks up a off the shelf engine like Unreal Engine 4).

However, the amount of hardware needed to make a game is entirely up to the developer, and whether he will need 8 cores 16 threads, or 2 cores 2 threads is simply up to how complicated he/she is planning to make the game/engine.

15 minutes ago, Vlence said:

Vega is supposed to be the flagship for the Polaris lineup, if what I heard is correct. If I should SLI or CrossFire only high end cards doesn't it beat the purpose of multiple GPUs? I mean, it's more affordable to stick two cheaper cards than two expensive ones.

By I can't wait too long means no more than 6 months.

I don't want NVIDIA because, well, I don't wanna spend all of that on something too expensive. See, I thought I would get myself an RX 480 and a 1070 so I could play around with GameWorks and GPUOpen while learning game dev but after reading a few posts, it has become apparent to me the drivers won't play too well. Especially when it comes to PhysX.

So I decided I'll get myself a dual polaris or vega. Cheaper and satisfactory performance, I guess.

you can simply unload PhysX to the CPU. That would solve the issue for drivers.

Under DX12/Vulcan, it is up to you as a developer to define crossfire/SLI, in much higher degree then previously.

See my previous post for more info.

8 minutes ago, Prysin said:

you can simply unload PhysX to the CPU. That would solve the issue for drivers.

Under DX12/Vulcan, it is up to you as a developer to define crossfire/SLI, in much higher degree then previously.

See my previous post for more info.

Unload PhysX to the CPU... Never heard of that. Can you give me a link detailing this? One from NVIDIA will be highly appreciated.

Yes I'll be learning Vulkan and DX12 and so dual GPUs seems to be the way to go. But besides 4k 60fps I want dual screens so I have a larger viewport for my windows.

So this is what I thought initially - One AMD(polaris/vega/navi) card for a 2160p screen and one NVIDIA card for a 1440p screen. Dual screens for work and 4k for play. If I can really do that with the PhysX and one Vega card is able to give me 4k 60fps without AA, I think I might just do that...