is ti me or are the gpu coolers this year just not as good as last year

i was just wondering what other people thought but personall i  dont like any of the after market cards this year besides the strix card. the sc and ssc has a large lump of led lit logo which imo is vile and ive always been a huge fan of the windforce and g1 cards and again this year i dont think there that nice. imo all of last years coolers looked way better than these cards do.

what do you guys think?

Thread moved to Graphics Cards.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Thread moved to Graphics Cards.

oh sorry about not putting in the right place 

I like the 1080's cooler shroud the most. As with the RX 480, I don't like it so much.

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

2 minutes ago, Fatelinha said:

I like the 1080's cooler shroud the most. As with the RX 480, I don't like it so much.

yeah for reference the stock looks hella good but the after market ones are ew

I dont mind the acx 3.0 cooler. With a bit of clever modding i think it would look great. I do however dislike the strix coolers. I think the first strix cooler was the best. clean and simple. all of this rgb and clunky overdone coolers really take away from the aesthetics imo 

ASUS-STRIX-R9280-OC-3GD5_card_02-copy.jp

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

2 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

I dont mind the acx 3.0 cooler. With a bit of clever modding i think it would look great. I do however dislike the strix coolers. I think the fist strix cooler was the best. clean and simple. all of this rgb and clunky overdone coolers really take away from the aesthetics imo 

ASUS-STRIX-R9280-OC-3GD5_card_02-copy.jp

i can see where your coming from. the evga coolers are normalyover all my favourite but this year there just not that nice

I like RX 480 one, nice and simple. The Founder's Edition cards are pretty nice as well, I didn't like them at first but they've really grown on me. The ACX 3.0 coolers from EVGA are just butt ugly, I tried liking them but I just can't. MSI's Twin Frozr VI is beautiful, very pretty. I like MSI's Seahawk and Aero cards, and I kind of like EVGA's Hybrid card. Gigabyte's cards are butt ugly as usual (I don't think I've ever liked a Gigabyte card), and ASUS's Strix card is pretty mediocre. Zotac did a pretty nice job, I only really like the one with two fans, can't remember which one it was. Inno3D and Galax cards are not my thing, but I can see a lot of people liking the HoF cards from Galax.

I really like the Evga 1080 FTW but I don't like the MSI Gaming X cooler.

I think the MSI one bellow looks really nice especially because of the $599 or £530 pricepoint. 

GX324MS_141800_800x800.jpg

1 minute ago, jcw150 said:

I think the MSI one bellow looks really nice especially because of the $599 or £530 pricepoint. 

i didnt see that card before that one looks really pretty but it is just a referece cooler isnt it. jjust done differently

10 minutes ago, joe_p231 said:

i was just wondering what other people thought but personall i  dont like any of the after market cards this year besides the strix card. the sc and ssc has a large lump of led lit logo which imo is vile and ive always been a huge fan of the windforce and g1 cards and again this year i dont think there that nice. imo all of last years coolers looked way better than these cards do.

what do you guys think?

Yea, ACX 3.0 is garbage. Now, I didn't think 2.0 was any pleasing, but at least it wasn't as bad as 3.0. I've never like MSI's offerings either.

My bet is going to the Strix right now. Zotac has a good cooler... but the backplate just murders it. Gigabyte is also pretty good, though I preferred the previous iteration (and I like Strix better).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

i like evga's acx coolers because they're simple, yet beautiful. all those coolers with heatpipes sticking out of the card are just really overdoing it, like to me, it looks tacky. just keep the heatpipes inside of the cooler.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i like evga's acx coolers because they're simple, yet beautiful. all those coolers with heatpipes sticking out of the card are just really overdoing it, like to me, it looks tacky. just keep the heatpipes inside of the cooler.

Yeah but don't cover that beautiful plastic with a bunch of uneven metal cladding and exposed screws and weird vents that aren't actually vents.

This is simple:

500x1000px-LL-dd3b0867_IMG_6792.jpeg

This is not:

small_evga-1080-sc-3.jpg

2 minutes ago, joe_p231 said:

i didnt see that card before that one looks really pretty but it is just a referece cooler isnt it. jjust done differently

Yes but as its so much cheaper in the UK you can afford this one and an EK waterblock for the price of the founders edition.

And you get the pretty cooler.

7 minutes ago, jcw150 said:

3 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Yeah but don't cover that beautiful plastic with a bunch of uneven metal cladding and exposed screws and weird vents that aren't actually vents.

idk the combo of plastic and metal that evga uses kinda just, works. i preferred they go all metal, but the mix of plastic and metal still looks good.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

idk the combo of plastic and metal that evga uses kinda just, works. i preferred they go all metal, but the mix of plastic and metal still looks good.

Idk what you see in it, but I don't think it works at all. But opinions are opinions, I respek yos

3 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

This is simple:

500x1000px-LL-dd3b0867_IMG_6792.jpeg

This is not:

small_evga-1080-sc-3.jpg

3.0 is next level vile. the logo part on the top is too fat and unesscessary 

1 minute ago, joe_p231 said:

I think the SC card looks out of proportion but I really like the FTW one.

2 minutes ago, joe_p231 said:

I think if they made the entire thing black and killed those weird mesh things along with the chocolate bar type thing on top it would look heaps better.

Actually, let me do that. brb

I like them all, but not that it matters to be what they look like as my PC is under my desk and I see it maybe once every month for a quick dust

This is the problem with gaming branded hardware in general. I don't get where these companies think that gamers love angled edges and complex "industrial" designs that look like, as an example, Optimus Prime's codpiece.

Granted roughavoc has a point: we don't see the hardware most of the time. Then again, that point can be applied to the manufacturers: we don see the hardware most of the time, so you can stop wasting your money on these ridiculous designs.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

This is the problem with gaming branded hardware in general. I don't get where these companies think that gamers love angled edges and complex "industrial" designs that look like, as an example, Optimus Prime's codpiece.

Granted roughavoc has a point: we don't see the hardware most of the time. Then again, that point can be applied to the manufacturers: we don see the hardware most of the time, so you can stop wasting your money on these ridiculous designs.

Except for laptops. I think the Inspiron 15 7559 is the only "gaming" laptop (it's not marketed as one, but it may as well be one) that I've seen in a while that has a design I like. Everything else is being edgy.

they should have a gaming lineup with all these "cool" designs on the cards, and then an enthusiast edition, where they just put a simple aftermarket cooler. although you might just go stock if you want a simple design already. but i'm saying, an enthusiast version should have a simplistic cooler, but still perform better than stock tbh.

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

they should have a gaming lineup with all these "cool" designs on the cards, and then an enthusiast edition, where they just put a simple aftermarket cooler. although you might just go stock if you want a simple design already. but i'm saying, an enthusiast version should have a simplistic cooler, but still perform better than stock tbh.

The problem is that creates a manufacturing and sales burden. The less SKUs you have, the better. Though... don't ask why motherboard manufacturers come out with 20+ designs of the same freakin' board.

Or you know what? They probably don't care. We'll buy them anyway because it's the only thing around.