New Network Help

Soo the long and short of it is I'm about to move into a new house and until recently didn't know jack about networks. I have got a plan which I think should be what I need for a basic network.its in the UK and a 3 story house btw and all connected by cat5e cus come on with uk internet I'll be dead before I need cat6/a :).

okay so to start with I have always used the isp's routers/modems I.e. BT.my new plan is that I have to change isp as I'm moving house and I though to sack off the isp's router and get: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Mbps-Dual-Wireless-Router/dp/B007W16SMO/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1464993942&sr=1-2&keywords=Asus+router

which from what I have found is fairly decent. The router will go on the middle floor with a fiber connection. Then I will have 2 Ethernet cables coming out of it one going to the bottom floor and one to the top floor. I have chosen: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG108-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00A121WN6/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1464994142&sr=1-3&keywords=network+switch

again I think it should do the job. From the 2 switches I would like 2 access points again one on the top and one on the bottom floor connected to the switches. I chose: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WA901ND-V4-Wireless-Access/dp/B013HCO332/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1464994051&sr=1-4&keywords=Access+points

again it seems to fit the bill. What I want to achieve is great wireless signal throughout the house with as few wires feeding directly into the router as possible hoping to have the switches in a cupboard or something. If you see any floors or problems with my plans please let me know as I have out this together on my own. As well I have one question will the access points work as an extension of the router or will I have to connect to them all then the wireless device with do what they do and chose the best signal and I was hoping to have a 5ghz cute there would be max 7-10 devices connected and I only want the regular devices on 5ghz guests can have the 2.4ghz :).

Thanks for for reading sorry for long post but I just want to clarify a few thing before I go ahead with it all.

EDIT -  upon further reading I now know I will need a dual band access point for the 5ghz such as : https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WAC120-100UKS-performance-802-11-wireless/dp/B00O4U8AC2/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1464995839&sr=1-5&keywords=Dual+band+access+points

i think that is correct again pls comment if it isn't or any advice etc. Thanks.

*Repost* no replys on other one but still need help please.

If you can get the Ubiquiti UniFi AC APs it will be more than worth it.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

The APs will work as an extension so long as you configure them so that DHCP and NAT are turned off. This way the router will handle all of that. Additionally you'll configure the wireless APs to use different bands like 1, 6, 13 but have the same wireless network name (SSID). You'll be able to transition between the APs just fine and it should all work as planned.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

11 hours ago, mcraftax said:

If you can get the Ubiquiti UniFi AC APs it will be more than worth it.

what is so good about them/why should i ? just wondering :)

8 hours ago, Lurick said:

The APs will work as an extension so long as you configure them so that DHCP and NAT are turned off. This way the router will handle all of that. Additionally you'll configure the wireless APs to use different bands like 1, 6, 13 but have the same wireless network name (SSID). You'll be able to transition between the APs just fine and it should all work as planned.

okay so i think i understand most of what your saying apart from the different bands.

1 minute ago, Cptnstevez said:

what is so good about them/why should i ? just wondering :)

They are enterprise grade equipment at (top) consumer prices (do very good value for money), they are highly functional and easy (clean/clear gui, you may want to watch some yt videos on them depending on how much you know about networking) to setup and maintain

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Cptnstevez said:

okay so i think i understand most of what your saying apart from the different bands.

Wireless in the 2.4GHz range operates on 13 different channels so when you have three APs you want them to be in channels that won't overlap which will cause interference which is why you want to go with channels 1, 6, and 13. Closer than that and the frequencies overlap and result in interference on the same SSID.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

@Cptnstevez

These are now the previous generation.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 minute ago, mcraftax said:

They are enterprise grade equipment at (top) consumer prices (do very good value for money), they are highly functional and easy (clean/clear gui, you may want to watch some yt videos on them depending on how much you know about networking) to setup and maintain

okay thats great thanks mate

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Wireless in the 2.4GHz range operates on 13 different channels so when you have three APs you want them to be in channels that won't overlap which will cause interference which is why you want to go with channels 1, 6, and 13. Closer than that and the frequencies overlap and result in interference on the same SSID.

ah okay how hard is it to change something like that i mean could a novice do it

5 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

@Cptnstevez

These are now the previous generation.

Just now, Cptnstevez said:

ah okay how hard is it to change something like that i mean could a novice do it

Yah, depending on the AP you go with it can be a little different but if you can get into the GUI and find the wireless tab there should be an option to set the band there.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

could they all function as just on ehuge signal then if done correctly where you only have to Connect once

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Yah, depending on the AP you go with it can be a little different but if you can get into the GUI and find the wireless tab there should be an option to set the band there.

oh okay so it is mostly done throough software provided with the router/AP

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

quick question could i do this because my plan was to have a guests network on 2.4ghz and mine on 5ghz hence the APs not having to worry so much about the range could it still be configured the same with the channels on 5ghz

6 minutes ago, Cptnstevez said:

could they all function as just on ehuge signal then if done correctly where you only have to Connect once

So that's the point of having the non-overlapping channels and everything with the same SSID. You won't have interference and you'll only connect once and be able to roam between them. I also was incorrect, it's channels 1, 6 and 11, not 13 that you want the APs to be on.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Cptnstevez said:

quick question could i do this because my plan was to have a guests network on 2.4ghz and mine on 5ghz hence the APs not having to worry so much about the range could it still be configured the same with the channels on 5ghz

You would just configure a different SSID name for the 2.4GHz band compared to the 5GHz band and it should work just fine.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: