AMD's Mantle API Is NOT Open Source, Compatible Only With AMD GPUs.

How good is mantel vs DirectX 11 in terms of picture quality and dos it have tessellation for example? or is this going to be basically OpenGL but faster?

Nobody knows.

Of course there would be great benefits, develop once, run on everything is the dream of game developers.

But unfortunately not the dream of Nvidia/AMD they have to fight for market share and mantle is a great way to do it

I'm not a fanboy, but I 've been always more inclined to the AMD side of techs. However I find this very wrong, AMD should have said, we are mature, we are superior, this is gonna be Open for anyone, even Nvidia, our goal is to be the future of gaming.

On and Ideal world, AMD would have made this fully open, and Nvidia should help solving the only problem mantle has, that is the same problem that Dolphin has, dealing with drivers across platforms. But I guess this is not an ideal world, AMD makes this propitiatory for their GCN architecture, NSA craps over the internet, EU forces people to micro-usb and so on.

To me.. This all just = AMD driver.. Which is the point they are trying to convey since the debacle of xfire and frame ratings.. They are generating buzz words for us .. When we see on nvidia drivers "you will see a 15% increase in performance" or "50% increase" or whatever.

It means nothing to us gamers.. It means you still need beast hardware to play beast games in a beast way... Nothing will change.

Game devs will get lazy and spend less time developing games.. They win.

Gamers lose.

Haha sry had to pop the hype bubble.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I don't see Mantle ever beeing really used.

Aren't devs going to use it anyway for the consoles? In which case wouldn't this make it easier to port the same code over to PC?

When they say it's not compatible with Intel, do they mean that with an intel cpu, you can't run mantle even if you have a gcn gpu?

When they say it's not compatible with Intel, do they mean that with an intel cpu, you can't run mantle even if you have a gcn gpu?

I would hope it means it won't work if you're using the embedded Intel HD graphics but that it will otherwise.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Aren't devs going to use it anyway for the consoles? In which case wouldn't this make it easier to port the same code over to PC?

No they have there own API the XboxOne uses a Low Level DX11.2 and the Ps4 uses GMN/GNMX.

So they would still have to change the API.

And the shared Memory is still missing wich is the big advantage of the Next Gen consoles.

RTX2070OC 

I wonder something that is kinda related. What if you have zero desire to PC game in the living room, does SteamOS still function like a typical Linux distro or is it something too niche that is gaming in the living room only?

The logical conclusion based on valve's announcement is that it will be a normal Linux distribution. So yes, it can and will be used that way. It's entirely possible that the necessary software from steamOS will made available for people to use on their own distributions like Mint or Arch Linux.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

so! I wonder what is nvidia thinking about all of this AMD momentum?  do they have something up their sleeve...I wonder!!!

I say one thing.....AMD is not playing around.....are they?  the way things are going,  my next card will be AMD for sure.

right now I have to make do with my 670 FTW until I can afford to buy a new card which is going to be a while.

right now I have to make do with my 670 FTW until I can afford to buy a new card which is going to be a while.

I think you'll survive :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

so! I wonder what is nvidia thinking about all of this AMD momentum?  do they have something up their sleeve...I wonder!!!

I say one thing.....AMD is not playing around.....are they?  the way things are going,  my next card will be AMD for sure.

Wait and see what Nvidia will do next.

I don't think that they will sit still.

And we don't even know how much peformance Mantle will bring.

It could be everything from 2x Peformance to only 5Fps more.

RTX2070OC 

Wait and see what Nvidia will do next.

I don't think that they will sit still.

And we don't even know how much peformance Mantle will bring.

It could be everything from 2x Peformance to only 5Fps more.

Low-level hardware access allows things like the PS3 to run GTA V on hardware that wouldn't even start the game on a PC though. We're talking about hardware that came out BEFORE the Core2duo line. Based on how well a PS3 and XBox 360 runs relatively modern games on the hardware that is inside them, AMD's marketing isn't too unrealistic in my opinion.

I feel as though mantle needs to be viewed like a very powerful driver. I at least hope that's how it will be implemented. I know the WAY it works is different, but for the end user, I hope it's just a "install the update and play" kind of deal

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Okay so let me get this right. If I want to use this "Mantle" thing I have to buy a AMD R9 290x? I was planning on scrapping my current card for a R9 290x anyways but I'm not gonna throw away my Titian if I don't need to. Can someone answer this please.

Okay so let me get this right. If I want to use this "Mantle" thing I have to buy a AMD R9 290x? I was planning on scrapping my current card for a R9 290x anyways but I'm not gonna throw away my Titian if I don't need to. Can someone answer this please.

Yes it only works with the 7000series and Rx-2xx series

RTX2070OC 

Yes it only works with the 7000series and Rx-2xx series

Okay thanks. Looks like I'm going Red Team then.

this is exactly what AMD wanted, for everybody to jump the nvidia ship.  At this point, nvidia needs to do something drastic to keep its followers from switching to the red team.  If rumors are true, intel should watch out as well or they'll be next.

AMD is really pushing the gaming industry with this, it has been a very long while since we've seen something that would revolutionize gaming.
I'm glad I switched to the red team last year.

So would a 7000 series card still work with an Intel CPU?

So would a 7000 series card still work with an Intel CPU?

You would want an AMD 6 core or 8 core to get the multi-core optimizations, however Mantle will work on your GPU regardless of your CPU.

According to this : http://www.dsogaming.com/news/mantle-will-require-a-gcn-architectured-gpu-to-work-not-an-open-standard-like-opencl-or-opengl/

Nvidia can build its own back-end and drivers around Mantle, so there is still hope yet.

They can achieve compatibility using this method but they can't achieve the 'low level API" objective". If it has to go through another software layer it obviously won't work as fast