best cpu cooler

diabloinfinnity

ok this is my first build and have been told to keep my inside case temps as low as i can. 

should i go with a air or liquid cooler? would be between the noctua dh14, dark rock 3 or a corsair h60 or some sort of 120 rad cooler?

It depends on the CPU. For some, the stock cooler works great, for others, the best water coolers can't keep up.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

The only way to keep in case temps lower is to use a water cooler with fans pushing air through the rad to outside your case.

the NH D15 and DRP3 are better than 120 rad coolers

anything below a 240 isnt worth it for liquid cooling

if you want to liquid cool, get a 240 or 280 rad AIO

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, jackreading007 said:

ok this is my first build and have been told to keep my inside case temps as low as i can. 

should i go with a air or liquid cooler? would be between the noctua dh14, dark rock 3 or a corsair h60 or some sort of 120 rad cooler?

I would recommend using the stock Intel cooler, it does a great job.... :)

Seriously tho, the best thing to do would be this...

The bong CPU cooler

If unreasonable, the next bets thing to do would be a custom loop,

then an AIO,

then an aftermarket cooler.

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

120 rads are for SFF builds only, where a quality air cooler or 240+ rad won't fit. What kind of case do you have?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

28 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

120 rads are for SFF builds only, where a quality air cooler or 240+ rad won't fit. What kind of case do you have?

im getting a nzxt340 but you can only have a 240 at the front and only with fans at front side of pc on the rad not on the internal side of it. so would be having the fans blowing out the front to exhaust the hot air instead of into my pc therefore i was going to have 2 140 intake fans a rear exhaust and a top mounted 120 rad or another 120 fan with air cooled cpu.

15 minutes ago, jackreading007 said:

im getting a nzxt340 but you can only have a 240 at the front and only with fans at front side of pc on the rad not on the internal side of it. so would be having the fans blowing out the front to exhaust the hot air instead of into my pc therefore i was going to have 2 140 intake fans a rear exhaust and a top mounted 120 rad or another 120 fan with air cooled cpu.

Having a front mounted rad works just fine and doesn't warm up the air that comes in much--maybe a few degrees at most. 

280mm rads fit in the front. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.