HDD and recording.

VinyYT

So I bought a Gaming PC from best buy and before you rip me a new one on buying a "Gaming" PC from best buy I already realized that best buy's "gaming" PC's are shit... but anyways I rebuilt my computer and I used my old HDD from the "gaming" PC and I am recording gameplay with OBS in 1920x1080 resolution at 60 fps... but whenever I try to watch the video the video is really laggy and I cant even use the video. My computer should be able to record and play games without screwing up (You can check out my specs in my signature.) so I am wondering if my HDD could not be writing the files fast enough.. I have tried lower recording settings in OBS and everything seems to be working properly. I guess Im really just at a loss with what is wrong if you know or think you know what could be the problem then please let me know. Thanks!

PC Specs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K Quad core
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 970 w/ ACX 2.0 Cooling
RAM: 16gb Kingston HyperX
MOBO: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
PSU: Coarsair CX series CX500M 500W PSU
HDD: WD 1tb HDD
Case: DIYPC G580-BK
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes an HDD cannot record 1080p 60fps well

you need to buy a really good HDD like a WD black or red, or get an SSD

also you should do a clean install, that would help a lot too

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

20 minutes ago, Enderman said:

yes an HDD cannot record 1080p 60fps well

you need to buy a really good HDD like a WD black or red, or get an SSD

also you should do a clean install, that would help a lot too

well i did clean install when i got windows 10 and as for getting a new HDD would I need to configure it in the BIOS? it wouldnt be the HDD that has my OS just a secondary HDD.

PC Specs

11 minutes ago, VinyYT said:

well i did clean install when i got windows 10 and as for getting a new HDD would I need to configure it in the BIOS? it wouldnt be the HDD that has my OS just a secondary HDD.

well you could either use the new HDD as a storage drive and have your programs record to there, or you could install windows on the new HDD and have windows+programs all work faster too

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

well you could either use the new HDD as a storage drive and have your programs record to there, or you could install windows on the new HDD and have windows+programs all work faster too

Ok would I have to have a disk of the OS to transfer it to the other HDD or how does that work?

PC Specs

4 minutes ago, VinyYT said:

Ok would I have to have a disk of the OS to transfer it to the other HDD or how does that work?

you can use a USB

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Ok cool! Thanks for all the help!

PC Specs

12 hours ago, VinyYT said:

~snip~

Hi there,

As @Enderman pointed out, the drive itself may not be able to record fast enough the footage from your gaming experience. OS drives are not the best when it comes to game recording as too many things are using the drive during the recording and this causes lags.

I'd suggest to get a separate dedicated recording HDD so nothing else is using it while it records the footage and you should be fine. :)

You can simply get a regular internal drive and configure it in your system as a secondary storage drive. I wouldn't really use external drives for game recordings as the connection can be either too slow for a smooth recording footage or not really reliable for hours-long gaming session and may drop the drive out of the system. 

Post back if you have questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

8 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hi there,

As @Enderman pointed out, the drive itself may not be able to record fast enough the footage from your gaming experience. OS drives are not the best when it comes to game recording as too many things are using the drive during the recording and this causes lags.

I'd suggest to get a separate dedicated recording HDD so nothing else is using it while it records the footage and you should be fine. :)

You can simply get a regular internal drive and configure it in your system as a secondary storage drive. I wouldn't really use external drives for game recordings as the connection can be either too slow for a smooth recording footage or not really reliable for hours-long gaming session and may drop the drive out of the system. 

Post back if you have questions :)

Captain_WD.

Yeah I planned on buying this HDD My friend suggested it to me and he said it was a good HDD let me know what you think. Also thank you for your response!

cfae225dd3e43bf766ab1468189a4703.thumb.2

PC Specs

On 4.06.2016 г. at 0:04 AM, VinyYT said:

~snip~

WD Blue is a good mainstream drive that should be able to do the job. :)

If you want to record high-resolution game footage I would suggest checking WD Black as it offers even better performance, longer warranty and manages better multitasking in case the drive needs to do something else during the game footage.

Either of these drives should do the trick. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I've had a similar issue that I've resolved. Firstly, what hdd do you have? Secondly, how much space is available on the drive? 

Nothing.

3 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

WD Blue is a good mainstream drive that should be able to do the job. :)

If you want to record high-resolution game footage I would suggest checking WD Black as it offers even better performance, longer warranty and manages better multitasking in case the drive needs to do something else during the game footage.

Either of these drives should do the trick. :)

Captain_WD.

Ok I will definitely check out the back version. Thank you for all of you help!

2 hours ago, TheSuspect said:

I've had a similar issue that I've resolved. Firstly, what hdd do you have? Secondly, how much space is available on the drive? 

Thanks for your response! I have already figured out the issue though! :)

PC Specs