I think AMD's numbers are quite misleading and the 480 might not be that great...

GiSWiG
2 minutes ago, App4that said:

No actually that's not correct. I had my set up well past Crimsons launch. In fact Crimson hurt my performance. That I was a bit salty over. Official drivers =/= working. From ether company in my experience.

you base this off WHQL?

who cares. WHQL only means some boffins over at microsoft, which we know has their heads stuck up their asses when it comes to gaming, said the driver was good.

9 minutes ago, Prysin said:

depends. TSCM has had more heat issues with their nodes then GloFo has. Historically that is.

Also, it is a known fact that Nvidia cards are made with much less cooling headroom then AMD cards. Historically that is.

Oh, and if nothing else. Sapphire NITRO/Vapor-X is still a thing

I'm building a HTPC in the fall, if there's a RX 480 Vapor X that's going in it.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

I'm building a HTPC in the fall, if there's a RX 480 Vapor X that's going in it.

HTPC needs blowers man. Trust me.
Anything small should use blowers.

my GTX 950 (Asus Mini) inside a ITX case sits at constant 70+ C under gaming load. Despite teh case now having decent cooling (after i modded the PSU fan to work as a intake).

12 minutes ago, Prysin said:

you base this off WHQL?

who cares. WHQL only means some boffins over at microsoft, which we know has their heads stuck up their asses when it comes to gaming, said the driver was good.

Sorry, didn't see this one.

I'm basing it off running in crossfire from November of 2015, to January of 1016 and never finding a game that offered a benefit. The Witcher 3 gave me a fps boost but caused menu flicker.

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

my GTX 950 (Asus Mini) inside a ITX case sits at constant 70+ C under gaming load. Despite teh case now having decent cooling (after i modded the PSU fan to work as a intake).

Who said anything about, small. ;) 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Sorry, didn't see this one.

I'm basing it off running in crossfire from November of 2015, to January of 1016 and never finding a game that offered a benefit. The Witcher 3 gave me a fps boost but caused menu flicker.

Who said anything about, small. ;) 

And i'm basing my arguments running Crossfire from December 2012 to present day. Both using the Crossfire Bridge (2x HD 7950) and XDMA over a PLX chip providing PCIe lanes as a interconnect (R9 295x2).

HTPC that aint small. GTFO

if it aint small, its a media senter.

2 hours ago, App4that said:

What this topic has taught me.

Nvidia stretches the truth for marketing purposes, people cry foul.

AMD stretches the truth for marketing purposes, people cry foul and the fans come racing in to defend AMD.

Yep, same Linus Tech tips. War never changes.

Welcome back to AMDTechSuggestions.  While you're here, don't forget to pick up an R9 390!

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

7 hours ago, GiSWiG said:

AMD showed how the <$500 beats the $700 solution. I assume that the $199 is for 4GB and the 8GB version will be $249. If 2x RX 480s truly beat out the GTX 1080, then that statement is true, but there's a catch...there comparing REFERENCE designs.

This time around, Nvidia is actually making a $700 reference card, $100 more that their MSRP of $600 for basically the base level GTX 1080 for board partners. It is a given that board makers will be selling GTX 1080s at stock settings for $600.

So really, AMDs reference cards against board partners base level cards would be <$500 against the <$600 solution...

Also, notice the < meaning less than (in case your bad at math). 2x 8GB RX 480 at $249 = $498. I think its a given that the 8GB RX 480s will be $249 because they would have said <$400 if the 8GB were $199. If the 8GB 480s were going to be $224.99, x2 would be <$450. If they applied the same tactic to the Nvidia reference price (i.e. Founders Edition) and used Nvidia's MSRP then it would really be <$500 vs <$600...

But we already know that board partners will be putting out cards at about Founders Editions prices that are going to be running between 100-150mhz higher than the FEs. I think it is safe to say, that AMD's statement that the <$500 beating the $700 solution is defuncted.

Obviously, the board partners producing overclocked versions of the RX 480s and because AMD announced baseline prices will be $199-$249, OC'd board partner cards will hit over $300, possibly $325. I don't think board partners will bother with 4GB cards. That ship has sailed. 

So lets take 2x 8GB RX 480s OC'd at $299 vs a GTX 1080 OC'd at $699. Now we got <$600 vs <$700 but I bet the GTX 1080 will get better overclocks than the RX 480s. I doubt 2x OC'd RX 480s will match one OC'd GTX 1080.

I also think that the watts required by 2x OC'd RX 480s will roughly equal or exceed one OC'd GTX 1080.

Now if you take a single OC'd 8GB RX 480 against a OC'd GTX 1070, I think the 480 would win. However, if your considering an OC'd GTX 1070, 2x 480s at reference specs might be better unless your mobo can't support CrossFire or two GPUs.

Yes, I'm speculating, but I wanta see the 490 from AMD. It will probably be Vega based and know the GTX 1080's socks off but I bet Nvidia will have a GTX 1080 Ti or maybe the next Titan available around the same time.

Either way, I'm shooting for 1440p gaming and an OC'd 1070 or 2x 480s would be good enough for me. I'll be going for MSI's GAMING version too.

P.S. I'm no fanboy of either. I've had AMD cards for years but the GTX 1070 is pulling me in Nvidia's direction. I'd got AMD again if their numbers do really look good for $400.

I was seriously considering a 1070, until i saw the estimated uk release price, so depending on the performance of this thing i may switch out  'ol reliable 280 for the RX 480

57 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Blowers are far too loud. My itx rig is running a waterloop in an RAIDMAX Atomic. nice small case and near silent operation at full load. Edit: I also use my PSU as an intake helped keep the temps under 65 with both the cpu and GPU overclocked.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

1 minute ago, GzeroD said:

Blowers are far too loud. My itx rig is running a waterloop in an RAIDMAX Atomic. nice small case and near silent operation at full load.

not all blowers are loud.

Just the shity ones.

Good ones like the Stihl Leafblower are one of the quietest in its class.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

not all blowers are loud.

Just the shity ones.

Good ones like the Stihl Leafblower are one of the quietest in its class.

im not a fan of the "whine" generally associated with blower coolers in a situation where I'm not using head phones.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

And i'm basing my arguments running Crossfire from December 2012 to present day. Both using the Crossfire Bridge (2x HD 7950) and XDMA over a PLX chip providing PCIe lanes as a interconnect (R9 295x2).

Wall unit. Always wanted to build one.

11 minutes ago, GzeroD said:

im not a fan of the "whine" generally associated with blower coolers in a situation where I'm not using head phones.

This guy gets it. Though I'm very curious how the new fan in the Hybrid sounds.

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

senter?

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

Once again, LTT had a pissing contest to see who could hold up their bullshit for the longest. 

I'm still kinda hyped for the RX 480 but come on, I still wanna see proper benchmarks and the fact that people are making arbitrary points that barely tie with the RX 480 is... well... fucking stupid.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.