Vivendi seized control of Gameloft, aims for UBi next

1 hour ago, Suika said:

Activision merged with Blizz while Blizz was still owned by Vivendi, and then Activision-Blizzard split from Vivendi.

Sort of. Vivendi bought Activision and merged all of the gaming division into a company they called Activision-Blizzard. Acti-Blizz then later secured the funding to purchase themselves while Vivendi was having some financial issues.

1 hour ago, Derangel said:

Sort of. Vivendi bought Activision and merged all of the gaming division into a company they called Activision-Blizzard. Acti-Blizz then later secured the funding to purchase themselves while Vivendi was having some financial issues.

And using acti - blizz as a cashbox to prop up their failing cable television business.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Well this was inevitable. Now to see if they can obtain Ubi. Does anyone know if Yves was able to find Canadian investors? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Make Ubisoft a Quebec crown corporation

We already have a third of Ubisoft's workforce anyway

1 hour ago, RagnarokDel said:

Make Ubisoft a Quebec crown corporation

We already have a third of Ubisoft's workforce anyway

Considering they are headquartered and founded in France, I really don't think they would appreciate a foreign government making it a crown corporation ;)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Considering they are headquartered and founded in France, I really don't think they would appreciate a foreign government making it a crown corporation ;)

They literally asked us for investment. Also while you are right that the "HQs" are located in France. Montreal is basically where it's at.

Source: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/vivendi-acquires-gameloft-targets-ubisoft/?utm_source=z1&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=exchange#:kqD90MHfhifVEA

Vivendi is reportedly eyeing former Gameloft parent company Ubisoft as its next hostile takeover target. Vivendi already owns a 17.7 percent stake in Ubisoft, though the company stated in a recent stock market filing that it has no plans for a buyout within the next six months.

So basically Vivendi, the massive French media company, just took over Gameloft, and Ubisoft may be their next target. They easily bought a controlling share from Gameloft, and they already have 17.7 percent of Ubisoft (and that's in fact growing).

I honestly don't know how I feel about this personally. Vivendi's statement said they wouldn't make a move for the next six months, but that doesn't mean they won't ever. I don't know a lot about how a takeover would affect their products, but it would definitely affect the company as a whole. Discuss?

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

Well, they can't make Ubisoft worse.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

Ubisoft products have been getting better in recent time. This makes me fear that they´re quality would drop back to the worse days. Hopefully this doesn't happen

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

1 minute ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

#shotsfired

I'm not sure what hostile takeover means. Does that mean this company wants to buy Ubisoft with the purpose of firing everyone and closing it down?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

#shotsfired

I'm not sure what hostile takeover means. Does that mean this company wants to buy Ubisoft with the purpose of firing everyone and closing it down?

What is a 'Hostile Takeover'

A hostile takeover is the acquisition of one company (called the target company) by another (called the acquirer) that is accomplished by going directly to the company's shareholders or fighting to replace management to get the acquisition approved. A hostile takeover can be accomplished through either a tender offer or a proxy fight.

The key characteristic of a hostile takeover is that the target company's management does not want the deal to go through. Sometimes a company's management will defend against unwanted hostile takeovers by using several controversial strategies

Edit: I guess you could say in short: acquiring a company against the wishes of the current management which usually means using some kind of force to take control without agreement from the management.

6 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

They definitely can

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

They have been buying shares for some quite time now, and according to French law (since Ubisoft is a French company), if Vivendi has more than 30% of the shares they have to make an offer of buying a controlling stake at the company. Hostile meaning that the current owners (the Guillemot family) has no saying if Vivendi tries to buy it. They just legally can. That's what happened with Gameloft.

3 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Ubisoft is not bad at all. Maybe a little generic open world games, but by no means bad games. The level of detail and looks of hated games like Watch Dogs and AC Unity is still world class and damn impressive if people stop their lame circle jerking for just 2 seconds and look around the world.

Just wait until they really stop innovating AND bump up the prices with micro transactions everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

#shotsfired

No it means they buy up the stock majority of a company to ensure majority vote, thus effectively taking over control of the company against the will of the core owners, in this case, the actual founders of the company.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

So any evil bastard could take a company if they have enough money. Fuck yeah capitalism.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

#shotsfired

That would be exactly what not to do. Unless your OK with millions down the drain.

Usually when you take over a company and make it a subsidiary you want to keep most if not all employees.  Then put one of yours in charge of overseeing said company. 

The idea is to make a passive income to the parent company.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

So any evil bastard could take a company if they have enough money. Fuck yeah capitalism.

Well, that's the stock market for you. I mean if it was a private company it couldn't happen so there are advantages and disadvantages to being both private and public. Public probably allows you to grow faster but by putting your company out there and basically dividing them in small parts that are essentially open to purchase, you kinda run the risk that someone with the right amount of money comes in and buys up everything and throws you out. I guess in crude terms it would be like taking your house and everything in it and putting it up for auction whilst hoping no one buys everything but only the small things (I guess someone with a degree in business/economy will tear my analogy apart)

would it be possibly to move Ubisoft out of france to make it a non french company?

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

18 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

You'd be surprised actually. They could basically become a wider scale Konami: Fuck games we'll turn ALL franchises into pachenco Machines or whatever. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

19 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

You may think that Ubisoft is bad but Vivendi is much, much worse. At one point they wanted to force Activision/Blizzard to pay $3 billion in dividends so they could pay of their debts but luckily iirc it was at that time that A/B bought themselves out of Vivendi. 

Oh man, I wonder what they're going to do with Ubisoft if they get them. They just want more money? Or are they planning some games, maybe take Ubisoft titles outside the gaming realm like Konami. Does anyone know what they really want out of this acquisition? 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

You'd be surprised actually. They could basically become a wider scale Konami: Fuck games we'll turn ALL franchises into pachenco Machines or whatever. 

Pachinko is f***ing great I will have you know. If they can do it to Evangelion, it can be done to watchdogs too.

6 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

You may think that Ubisoft is bad but Vivendi is much, much worse. At one point they wanted to force Activision/Blizzard to pay $3 billion in dividends so they could pay of their debts but luckily iirc it was at that time that A/B bought themselves out of Vivendi. 

Well, damn. I mostly don't play Ubi games anyways (must have sometime) so it doesn't affect me, but still that's pretty bad.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

4 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Pachinko is f***ing great I will have you know. If they can do it to Evangelion, it can be done to watchdogs too.

*looks at nickname*

*looks at avatar *

You've got me there I should have seen this one coming. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

31 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Ubisoft brought Rocksmith to my life...

2 minutes ago, OptimisticRealist said:

Ubisoft brought Rocksmith to my life...

And Vivendi brought The Simpsons: Hit and Run to mine.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.