Significant difference between Ballistix Sport and Elite?

Go to solution Solved by paps511,

I am not an expert on RAM, but i'm pretty sure there was a video about ram speeds and over clocking ram and the final effect it had on performance, and the conclusion was there was not much difference until you added MORE ram.

I think you will be fine saving the $40 and going for the 2400mhz ram over the 2666mhz.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I'm looking through my options for RAM, with the main necessities being "DDR4", "Quad Channel", and "32gb", and I've come across two different models of Crucial Ballistix. The first is the Ballistix Sport, and the second is the Ballistix Elite.

Now I'll admit I don't know much when it comes to RAM, so I have no idea what kind of numbers I'm looking for or how they affect performance. All I know is that the Sport kit is $40 cheaper than the Elite one.

Skimming through specs, it looks like the main differences are that the Sport has a speed of DDR4-2400 and a latency of 16-16-16, whereas the Elite is PC4-2666 and 16-17-17. Will this result in a noticeable difference between the two, or will I be able to get by with the cheaper kit (even though I love the look of the Elite)?

It should be noted that I do a mix of gaming, video editing/rendering, and a lot of work in Adobe software.

Ryzen 9 3900x Corsair H150i ASUS Prime X570 64GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 Gigabyte 2070 Super

2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB WD Caviar Green 120GB Samsung 840 PRO 1.5TB Caviar Green 2TB Seagate Firecuda 512GB TEAM

I am not an expert on RAM, but i'm pretty sure there was a video about ram speeds and over clocking ram and the final effect it had on performance, and the conclusion was there was not much difference until you added MORE ram.

I think you will be fine saving the $40 and going for the 2400mhz ram over the 2666mhz.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

i don't think you would notice any difference
if i remember right linus made a video about RAM speeds between 200mhz(which you would never find in the market) climbing up putting all frequencies between it and 3000mhz  and the difference in FPS was like 1~2 fps between the lowest and the highest
i think you should just go for whatever you think looks cooler (if you're into that matching colors rig and such) and/or whatever cheaper

Thank you for the advice everyone! Easiest way to save $40 ever.

Ryzen 9 3900x Corsair H150i ASUS Prime X570 64GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 Gigabyte 2070 Super

2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB WD Caviar Green 120GB Samsung 840 PRO 1.5TB Caviar Green 2TB Seagate Firecuda 512GB TEAM