What is refresh rate hz on monitor

L0str31
Go to solution Solved by Zyndo,

What size Monitor are you looking for and what price range? 1080p can be EXTREMELY affordable. I'm currently using an Asus VX228H... 21.5" 60 Hz 1ms response time and no perceivable input lag. if you don't need a huge monitor, I would highly recommend a monitor like this (or even this exact one). I know tons of people will say that 60HZ isn't enough and that you need a 120hz or 144hz monitor. I'm not going to use the classic internet argument that "you cant see that many fps"... you CAN, but its not like 60 hz is bad. If you go from 144Hz and are USED to 144Hz down to 60Hz, you will notice it and it may seem choppy or slow simply because its (about) half as many frames as you are used to. But if you aren't used to 144hz, or don't want to spend the extra cash needed for a 144hz, 60hz is PLENTY. I have a 980ti and DELIBERATELY use a 60hz monitor so I can play any game at any settings at exactly 60 fps all the time and I love it. (your mileage may vary)

Q. What is refresh rate?

A. It is the number of frames your Monitor will draw per second (measured in Hertz, Hz)

Q. What is response time?
A. It is the amount of time it takes your monitor's pixels to switch from one colour signal to another. Basically at 60Hz, your monitor will draw a frame about once every 17 milliseconds, but with a 3ms Response time, it actually only takes about 3 milliseconds to draw that frame, at which point it would sit still and wait 14-ish more milliseconds for the next frame to come, and then it would take about 3milliseconds to draw that frame, and so on. (its a tad more complicated than this in reality, but that's basically what happens) This is different from Input Lag

Q. What is Input Lag?
A. This is the amount of time between when you give your computer a command, such as clicking your mouse or pressing a key on your keyboard, and when that command shows up on screen. Most Manufacturers do not advertise this stat, but checking your monitor on a 3rd party site that tests this sort of thing can let you know just how much there is. If you're not into hardcore and highly competitive gaming, then you probably don't need to worry about this stat. Most modern monitors fall into the "good enough" category when it comes to this stat and its something that you will likely never notice.

Q.What do I need on a 1080p Monitor?
A. Its all about personal preference. like I said, I use a 21.5" 60Hz 1ms screen. I love it. I game pretty hard on it, and pretty competitively in any online game out there. I certainly don't consider it a handicap or disadvantage of any kind. That being said, there are people out there who would say that the 60Hz isn't enough, or that the 1ms response time is a waste of money.

TL:DR
As far as what you actually NEED for a decent 1080p gaming experience, 60hz is all you need. faster than 8ms response time (Although I would personally recommend 5ms or faster just for some extra insurance) and then pick a monitor that is both big enough for what you want (in case you want bigger than 21.5" like I use) and is within your price range.

What is refresh rate I need on monitor 1080p what is refresh rate and response time someone can explain me

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

don't worry about it, you'll be fine

if you want to worry about it, then go to http://blurbusters.com

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

enderman pretty much covered anything but basically the higher the fps the better (imo) lower response time the better (again imo) 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

What size Monitor are you looking for and what price range? 1080p can be EXTREMELY affordable. I'm currently using an Asus VX228H... 21.5" 60 Hz 1ms response time and no perceivable input lag. if you don't need a huge monitor, I would highly recommend a monitor like this (or even this exact one). I know tons of people will say that 60HZ isn't enough and that you need a 120hz or 144hz monitor. I'm not going to use the classic internet argument that "you cant see that many fps"... you CAN, but its not like 60 hz is bad. If you go from 144Hz and are USED to 144Hz down to 60Hz, you will notice it and it may seem choppy or slow simply because its (about) half as many frames as you are used to. But if you aren't used to 144hz, or don't want to spend the extra cash needed for a 144hz, 60hz is PLENTY. I have a 980ti and DELIBERATELY use a 60hz monitor so I can play any game at any settings at exactly 60 fps all the time and I love it. (your mileage may vary)

Q. What is refresh rate?

A. It is the number of frames your Monitor will draw per second (measured in Hertz, Hz)

A. It is the amount of time it takes your monitor's pixels to switch from one colour signal to another. Basically at 60Hz, your monitor will draw a frame about once every 17 milliseconds, but with a 3ms Response time, it actually only takes about 3 milliseconds to draw that frame, at which point it would sit still and wait 14-ish more milliseconds for the next frame to come, and then it would take about 3milliseconds to draw that frame, and so on. (its a tad more complicated than this in reality, but that's basically what happens) This is different from Input Lag

Q. What is Input Lag?
A. This is the amount of time between when you give your computer a command, such as clicking your mouse or pressing a key on your keyboard, and when that command shows up on screen. Most Manufacturers do not advertise this stat, but checking your monitor on a 3rd party site that tests this sort of thing can let you know just how much there is. If you're not into hardcore and highly competitive gaming, then you probably don't need to worry about this stat. Most modern monitors fall into the "good enough" category when it comes to this stat and its something that you will likely never notice.

A. Its all about personal preference. like I said, I use a 21.5" 60Hz 1ms screen. I love it. I game pretty hard on it, and pretty competitively in any online game out there. I certainly don't consider it a handicap or disadvantage of any kind. That being said, there are people out there who would say that the 60Hz isn't enough, or that the 1ms response time is a waste of money.

As far as what you actually NEED for a decent 1080p gaming experience, 60hz is all you need. faster than 8ms response time (Although I would personally recommend 5ms or faster just for some extra insurance) and then pick a monitor that is both big enough for what you want (in case you want bigger than 21.5" like I use) and is within your price range.

4 hours ago, Zyndo said:

Q. What is refresh rate?

Q. What is Input Lag?

thank u this so much help me thank u so muchhh  

5 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

enderman pretty much covered anything but basically the higher the fps the better (imo) lower response time the better (again imo) 

thank u