Help choosing a USB sound card or DAC

Hi,

I have serious interference issues inside the case (buzzing sound when GPU is under load), so I need a new sound card or DAC, but only external.

I have an ESI Juli@ so I want something that has equally good, or better, sound quality.

I currently only use speakers but would like to be able to connect a mic and headphones as well, so the ASUS Xonar U7 looks really nice.

How is its SQ? I'm not too worried about the headphone amp as I'll rarely be using it. I mostly care about the DAC of the U7. 

Are there alternatives to the U7, up to $150, with a better DAC?

I don't really think you need a usb sound card or anything like that. There's this thing called boomstick which boosts your sound quality via your 3.5mm jack. Check out unbox therapy's vid -> 

6 minutes ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

I don't really think you need a usb sound card or anything like that. There's this thing called boomstick which boosts your sound quality via your 3.5mm jack. Check out unbox therapy's vid -> 

It's for headphones. I mostly use speakers.

1 minute ago, YonathanZ said:

It's for headphones. I mostly use speakers.

Oh, sorry. I don't use those stuff so I don't know. Sorry :D

I don't really trust u box therapies opinion. 

For a good starter DAC there is the SMSL M3. Fits your purpose and doesn't brake the bank. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

6 hours ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

How is that going to work. If it sounds like shirt coming out of your pc it is going to sound like shot even after you edit it however. That sounds like some serious snake oil. I am arguing from a pour logical stand point to. I a on mobile so I can't which the video itself. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

Thanks. Still looking for opinions about the Xonar U7. 

2 minutes ago, YonathanZ said:

Thanks. Still looking for opinions about the Xonar U7. 

Opinion/ friends experience:

You might still face the same problem with a sound card. Just consider, the day will still be in your box and potentially even closer to your noise source named GPU because it is not on the mob but parallel to the GPU. That ends up being <= 5cm distance! I have a friend who has a sound card that still hisses on the mic in (don't know about the out.  

3.Use

49 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

How is that going to work. If it sounds like shirt coming out of your pc it is going to sound like shot even after you edit it however. That sounds like some serious snake oil. I am arguing from a pour logical stand point to. I a on mobile so I can't which the video itself. 

If it sounds like shirt why not make it sound like a washing machine ^_^ Play back any 1Kbps mp3 file and that snake oil will be back on it's way to Amazon before you've even finished installing drivers.

In relation to OP I don't have any experience with sound cards. Following the thread however as I may eventually need one for my PC.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Don't know what kind of speakers you use, but if they are Logitech or such, get the Fiio E10k.  Has a headphone amp, coax and analog line-out.  If you're using powered monitors, something like the Micca Origen would be better since it has pre-outs.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh