Ethernet Connection Different Floor

Hello LinusTechTips community!

I'd first like to say I'm excited to a part of this community and before I go off-topic I'll go straight to my question.

I have recently decided to put plan up a rig for the purpose of gaming and YouTube content creation. For this purpose I want to use a room in my basement as the work space. The issue I'm running into now is about getting stable and quick internet access as the modem-router is on a different floor to this room.

I know the most direct option is to route an ethernet wire towards there and use the internet from there. A question I do have is then if that wire was connected to the original router upstairs and then routed to the room, would I be able to connect that to a second router to use as a second internet and wi-fi hub?

I'm aware of a product known has powerline adapters, but I'm very wary that my home's wiring is not adequate enough to reach the speeds I need for online gaming as it is a very old home built some time before the 2000s.

Are there any other options that I might be missing or that you guys would recommend?

4 minutes ago, Nelsonngyn0 said:

-SNIP-

Yes you can do that with a secondary router downstairs in bridge mode to act as a switch and wifi access point but it does require an ethernet connection to the main router up stairs. 

Homeplugs should be fine, I'm in a house that was built in the 1930's (obviously has been re-wired since then)... anyway electrical wiring has to meet certain standards I'm sure, so it' shouldn't be a problem. But if not then routing an ethernet cab;e would be great too... and you can easily set up a router to be an access point for wifi and wired traffic from the basement up to the other router.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I thank you two for very quick replies.

34 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Homeplugs should be fine, I'm in a house that was built in the 1930's (obviously has been re-wired since then)... anyway electrical wiring has to meet certain standards I'm sure, so it' shouldn't be a problem.

Something I forgot to mention is the first post was that I also plan on live streaming as well, do you think homeplugs can provide the bandwith needed to do that?
Otherwise, hard wiring may be the choice I'll settle on.

3 minutes ago, Nelsonngyn0 said:

I thank you two for very quick replies.

Something I forgot to mention is the first post was that I also plan on live streaming as well, do you think homeplugs can provide the bandwith needed to do that?
Otherwise, hard wiring may be the choice I'll settle on.

They can provide the bandwidth for streaming. 1080p only needs like 10Mbps and 4K is somewhere around 30-ish if I remember right.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

56 minutes ago, Lurick said:

1080p only needs like 10Mbps and 4K is somewhere around 30-ish if I remember right.

Ouch, that is some unfortunate news for me as my upload speed does not meet that requirement. I guess I can consider streaming once I get my feet off the ground.

11 hours ago, Nelsonngyn0 said:

Ouch, that is some unfortunate news for me as my upload speed does not meet that requirement. I guess I can consider streaming once I get my feet off the ground.

I'm sorry, I was actually incorrect in my mentioned speed requirements earlier. Upload Speed Needed for 1080p: 3mbps-3.5mpbs and Upload Speed Needed for 720p: 1.8mbps-2.5mbps. It's 4K streaming that's around 10mbps to 15mbps

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Another consideration to note is that home plugs need decent or good quality electrical cables and outlets.

I've experienced this problem at a number of different site locations, and sometimes the connection can drop or even slow down if someone plugged a phone charger into the socket beside the home plug. I don't know this for sure, but I don't really know what else it could be apart from the existing electrical cables.

My suggestion would be to run a cable like you suggested, then as mentioned above you can use either another router in bridged mode, or if your a security geek get a switch and go all wired.

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

4 hours ago, Lurick said:

I'm sorry, I was actually incorrect in my mentioned speed requirements earlier. Upload Speed Needed for 1080p: 3mbps-3.5mpbs and Upload Speed Needed for 720p: 1.8mbps-2.5mbps. It's 4K streaming that's around 10mbps to 15mbps

Oh that seems a bit more reasonable, but unfortunately I might be just streaming at 480 for the time until I can get to upgrade my internet. Thank very much for this information, it will prove useful in the future.

4 hours ago, Redportal said:

Another consideration to note is that home plugs need decent or good quality electrical cables and outlets.

That is a main concern that I have considered, especially with the unknown knowledge of the last time the home was rewired. To which is why I am definitely opting to do a wired setup.

2 minutes ago, Nelsonngyn0 said:

Oh that seems a bit more reasonable, but unfortunately I might be just streaming at 480 for the time until I can get to upgrade my internet. Thank very much for this information, it will prove useful in the future.

That is a main concern that I have considered, especially with the unknown knowledge of the last time the home was rewired. To which is why I am definitely opting to do a wired setup.

I would say try to find out when the house was built and then assume it's never been rewired to give you the worst case scenario.

Edit: You say some time before the 2000's so lets assume 1980 then. In which case your looking at pretty decent wiring still which will give you solid speeds with Powerline Ethernet.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: