[Review] MPow AquaPro IPX7 Bluetooth speaker

About a month ago, MPow contacted me about a Bluetooth speaker they wanted me to review for them. As I wanted one for quite some time anyways, I thought why not kill two birds with one stone.
The shipping was rather fast, the device arrived just two or three days after I agreed to review the device.

Overview

Spoiler

DSC_0566.JPG
DSC_0574.JPG
DSC_0576.JPGDSC_0576.JPG
DSC_0572.JPG

Looking at the specs, the MPow AquaPro is IPX7 rated. For everyone not familiar with IP ratings, it basically means the device is water resistant and withstands immersion up to 1m for 30min. While the packaging titles the speaker “waterproof”, I personally wouldn’t call IPX7 waterproof, but rather water resistant. But this should still be more than enough for what most users are gonna do with it anyways.

Another point is the rugged shell: the case is well built and has a very solid feel, especially because of the green/yellow rubber coating surrounding the case

A, for me personally, rather useless feature the speaker has is the SOS alert, which makes a loud noise in case you’re in an emergency. But well, maybe it could come in handy for someone, someday, who knows?

The device was neatly packaged with a short, but rather useless manual, a 30cm USB cable for charging and a 60cm 3.5mm aux cable.

The speaker has 4 buttons on the top for power/connect, vol-, vol+ and play/pause. On the right side you can find the SOS button as well as the USB and aux ports and the charging indicator LED.

Features and Impressions

When I first looked at the speaker, my initial thought was that the speaker was rather small with 8x8x4cm, too small to be loud enough, nor make a clear sound when using max volume. However, I could not have been more mistaken. The speaker is more than loud enough and also has an impressively clear sound. But what impressed me the most is the incredible bass, coming from such a relatively small speaker. It even managed to move around my table once while I played a bass-heavy song.

Looking at the battery, it may not be the biggest battery available, but I got between 7 to 8 hours of actual play time out of one full charge. This brings me to my only big negative point about this speaker: the low battery alert. It really is annoying as hell. As soon as the battery reaches a certain level, the speaker starts playing a godawful sound every minute. This could have been implemented way, way better using an LED first and after a certain amount of time moving on to a sound notification. But well, it is something you usually don’t encounter that often anyways.

One more rather small criticism I have to add is looking into the manual. The best you can do is not to look into it at all, because as I said before, it is quite useless. The use of the speaker is rather self-explanatory and the times for powering the speaker on and off, as well as connecting are anything but accurate. But as the manual isn’t really needed, I don’t really care about that at all.

Conclusion

Now, to sum things up, the device really makes an impression. It is well built, it is more than powerful enough for pretty much all use cases and it is not expensive at all. I have been using it mostly for showering, and after one month worth of showers the device is still working perfectly. So if you are looking for a small, affordable but still powerful Bluetooth speaker, this is the way to go.

Special Offer

As an extra, they also offered me a discount code for 4$ off when buying on Amazon:
Code: 75UGBSUR
Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B019VROWAG
http://www.xmpow.com/mpow-aquapro-portable-wireless-bluetooth-speaker-mbs9.html
Expiration date: June 20th