What is this Temp Sensor? Hottest Thing in my System!

Hey guys!

So, I recently traded my 4690k + Z97 Ranger for a 3930k + X79 Sabertooth because......why not :P

I was doing some preliminary tests, using AI Suit and TurboV, before I dialed the final settings in the BIOS and I reached 4.5GHz at 1.235V which I was quite happy about....

But then I completely forgot about AI Suite and left it running in the background while I played a few rounds of BF4. About 15 minutes into the game i receive a warning from AI Suite, it was about the Vcore temperature (wtf?) reaching 80ºC.

What the hell is Vcore temperature?

The name of the sensor itself doesn't make any sense but if I had to guess I would say it's the temp sensor for the cpu VRM's, or am I wrong?

I never used the AI Suite software before, therefore I was never aware of this sensor.

Is this a problem?

The cpu clock never throttled, and never went above 65ºC.

Here is a pic of my system if it interests you:

bW9BA6p.jpg

You can't see it in the picture but there is a 360mm radiator in push-pull at the top.

Any input on this is appreciated!

-MoraisGT

Try running a - I'll just say it - better program for tracking temps; something like HWMonitor.  I've had weird readings from AISuite in the past.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

VRMs are not inside a CPU

they are on the motheboard

under the motherboard heatsinks around the CPU

more voltage = hotter VRMs

you may need to replace the thermal pads or improve your case airflow if they are reaching 80C

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Try running a - I'll just say it - better program for tracking temps; something like HWMonitor.  I've had weird readings from AISuite in the past.

Hi Ryan,

Well, that's the thing, according to AI Suite the Vcore temperature right now as I write this is sitting at 46ºC.

If I close AI Suite and open HWMonitor there is no temperature at 46ºC so my guess is that HWMonitor doesn't even take a reading from this sensor :P

@Enderman, I know that the VRM's aren't on the cpu. I just wasn't sure what the VCore temperature was.

Increasing the airflow would mean turning up the fan speeds and make the system louder, which kind of defeats the point of a WC build.

The little fan that is on the heatsink for the VRM's is already getting cold air from the 140mm fan at the back, so I doubt it could get better than that....

1 minute ago, MoraisGT said:

Hi Ryan,

Well, that's the thing, according to AI Suite the Vcore temperature right now as I write this is sitting at 46ºC.

If I close AI Suite and open HWMonitor there is no temperature at 46ºC so my guess is that HWMonitor doesn't even take a reading from this sensor :P

I had a similar situation - AISuite would report temps of things that just didn't exist or weren't at that temperature.  It's possible that it's right and HWMonitor is wrong, but I think that's unlikely for two reasons: 1, how aisuite works overall doesn't fill be with confidence that it's a quality product, and 2, other programs tend to agree with HWmonitor

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I had a similar situation - AISuite would report temps of things that just didn't exist or weren't at that temperature.  It's possible that it's right and HWMonitor is wrong, but I think that's unlikely for two reasons: 1, how aisuite works overall doesn't fill be with confidence that it's a quality product, and 2, other programs tend to agree with HWmonitor

My thought's as well.

I may send an e-mail to Asus regarding this situation.

--------

Edit: I'm now getting more warnings from AIS, this time it's the Vcore (not temperature) it says it's at 0,012V, and 10 seconds after it warns me about it being at 1.662, despite CPU-Z and HWMonitor not showing anything above 1.235V >:(

1 minute ago, MoraisGT said:

My thought's as well.

I may send an e-mail to Asus regarding this situation.

--------

Edit: I'm now getting more warnings from AIS, this time it's the Vcore (not temperature) it says it's at 0,012V, and 10 seconds after it warns me about it being at 1.662, despite CPU-Z and HWMonitor not showing anything above 1.235V >:(

xD yeah see it's pretty not great...