7850 vs GTX 960

zXUnReliableXz

I have the chance of getting a GTX 969 for a friend who has a 7850 for $100. He only has an i3-3220 however. I realize this is a bottleneck but if he sells his inks card he's only really buying this for 40 to 50 bucks. Is that price worth the couple of frames lost?

Get a R9 380 - it's 15% faster

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

10 minutes ago, zXUnReliableXz said:

I have the chance of getting a GTX 969 for a friend who has a 7850 for $100. He only has an i3-3220 however. I realize this is a bottleneck but if he sells his inks card he's only really buying this for 40 to 50 bucks. Is that price worth the couple of frames lost?

GTX 960 is a good 40%+ faster...i think it's worth it, it's also more efficient and support newer features...i would do it...i3-3220 should do pretty well with that mid-range nvidia graphics solution.

Benchmark HD7850 vs GTX 960:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-HD-7850-vs-Nvidia-GTX-960/2182vs3165

Also, the HD7850 must be getting pretty old by now...it could stop working any day.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

8 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

GTX 960 is a good 40%+ faster...i think it's worth it, it's also more efficient and support newer features...i would do it...i3-3220 should do pretty well with that mid-range nvidia graphics solution.

Also, the HD7850 must be getting pretty old by now...it could stop working any day.

Is userbenchmark decent for comparisons?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

3 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Is userbenchmark decent for comparisons?

yes it is...it's based on user submitted results of course it's not the end all be all but at least it's legit and not based on specs and shit like that...it give a good idea of raw performance (minus driver optimizations and what not) about PC hardware...i like it a lot and they have CPU, GPU and SSD in there as well. it's pretty accurate from the benchmarks i've seen etc.

Also, the comments at the bottom is pretty much always spot on for both CPU and GPU...CPUpro which post those for the CPU's for example is IMHO a very knowledgeable person because the informations there are always good and accurate.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yes it is...it's based on user submitted results of course it's not the end all be all but at least it's legit and not based on specs and shit like that...it give a good idea of raw performance (minus driver optimizations and what not) about PC hardware...i like it a lot and they have CPU, GPU and SSD in there as well. it's pretty accurate from the benchmarks i've seen etc.

Also, the comments at the bottom is pretty much always spot on for both CPU and GPU...CPUpro which post those for the CPU's for example is IMHO a very knowledgeable person because the informations there are always good and accurate.

Good to know. 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

Good to know. 

Like i said it's not the end all be all, but it's a good place to start to have a good idea of how things compare...they have a TON of CPU and GPU listed as well...and some older parts as well for which it's getting hard to find performance metrics for nowadays...like that HD7850 GPU for example.

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Like i said it's not the end all be all, but it's a good place to start to have a good idea of how things compare...they have a TON of CPU and GPU listed as well...and some older parts as well for which it's getting hard to find performance metrics for nowadays...like that HD7850 GPU for example.

Exactly what I was going to say.

I mean it cant be worse than GPU Boss..

Just now, thekeemo said:

Exactly what I was going to say.

I mean it cant be worse than GPU Boss..

no exactly...GPU boss and stuff like that are mostly based on specs and what not...not actual performance.

With userbenchmarks at least you can download the software and run the test and submit your results...so it's based on performance in THAT software but i did ran it once and it test a lot of things so the end results are fairly accurate.

31 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

its a legit comparison as much as you trust people on the internet to make honest entries.

the question of wether it is legit or not comes down to if you trust random people on the internet.

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

its a legit comparison as much as you trust people on the internet to make honest entries.

the question of wether it is legit or not comes down to if you trust random people on the internet.

nahh the soft is doing the result upload to the database...it cannot be tricked.

it's kinda like firestrike for example.

46 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Kinda agree here. The 960 is well worth the $100. And that i3 will be fine with the 960.

But about the "getting pretty old by now" part... My brother has had his 7850 in his rig for about three years and we just retired it for an XFX 390. It still runs rather quiet for what it's worth. Not to mention it's in really good shape all the dust aside.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Kinda agree here. The 960 is well worth the $100. And that i3 will be fine with the 960.

But about the "getting pretty old by now" part... My brother has had his 7850 in his rig for about three years and we just retired it for an XFX 390. It still runs rather quiet for what it's worth. Not to mention it's in really good shape all the dust aside.

when talking about 200W GPU that are 3 or 4 years old...maybe more...you never know...it can work another 5 years...or it can die next week...that's why i said that. :) you know...

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

when talking about 200W GPU that are 3 or 4 years old...maybe more...you never know...it can work another 5 years...or it can die next week...that's why i said that. :) you know...

Fair enough, but I don't think its TDP is 200 watts. IIRC it's much closer to 125 in actual power usage?

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Fair enough, but I don't think its TDP is 200 watts. IIRC it's much closer to 125 in actual power usage?

i couldnt tell honestly, but GPU's back then where not as efficient...so i would think an old mid-range AMD chip like that should hit somewhere close to 170 to 190W or something...i have no idea :

but anyways... it's just an extra little reason to consider the upgrade even more...the GTX 960 can't be anything more than 2 years old or less....it's newer and more efficient therefore it should work longer in theory.

Performance and features alone are enough to justify the upgrade IMHO.

9 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i couldnt tell honestly, but GPU's back then where not as efficient...so i would think an old mid-range AMD chip like that should hit somewhere close to 170 to 190W or something...i have no idea :

but anyways... it's just an extra little reason to consider the upgrade even more...the GTX 960 can't be anything more than 2 years old or less....it's newer and more efficient therefore it should work longer in theory.

Performance and features alone are enough to justify the upgrade IMHO.

As I said, for $100 a 960 is a good deal considering that you can get an easy $45 out of a 7850.