Windows 7 OEM or Retail version.

Matt_TPrice

Does Linus have a retail version that he installs on multiple computers?

Can the retail version be installed on more than one pc at once?

Say I install an OEM windows 7 to a mechanical harddrive, could I delete that partition in the future, use the same disc and code to re install on an ssd in the same system?

Please someone help me out. Do I really need to buy windows oem everytime i build a pc?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am about to order the final components to my pc tomorrow.

Shove your "cinematic experience" where the sun don't shine!

I've installed my copy of OEM like 3 times and used the same key.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

oem's are tied to the motherboard, so if you replace the motherboard, you gonna need another win 7

d-a-w-g....

I've installed my copy of OEM like 3 times and used the same key.

So you installed it 3 times on the same PC?

Does Linus have a retail version that he installs on multiple computers?

Can the retail version be installed on more than one pc at once?

Say I install an OEM windows 7 to a mechanical harddrive, could I delete that partition in the future, use the same disc and code to re install on an ssd in the same system?

Please someone help me out. Do I really need to buy windows oem everytime i build a pc?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am about to order the final components to my pc tomorrow.

Buy the OEM disk

Unlimited installs on any kind of PC's as long as you activate by phone. When the machine asks you how many pc's have this copy of windows installed, just say "1". It works.

The only limitations are that you can't "upgrade" pc's with an OEM disk, and that the disk will only work with that particular key.

Buy the OEM disk

Unlimited installs on any kind of PC's as long as you activate by phone. When the machine asks you how many pc's have this copy of windows installed, just say "1". It works.

The only limitations are that you can't "upgrade" pc's with an OEM disk, and that the disk will only work with that particular key.

When you say update you mean like put it ontop of windows xp? Like the win8 upgrade version?

Linus has a bunch of oems because he just contacted Microsoft about how many times he needs to call them.

Oems are tied to the motherboard. call microsoft if you need to transfer windows to activate it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I have retail and it doesn't seamed tied to anything I have the same copy on like 3 PC. I just use the phone thing and say 0 pc and it works I've had to install the OS on my SSD 3 times so far.

When you say update you mean like put it ontop of windows xp? Like the win8 upgrade version?

Yeah, you can't "upgrade" a previous version of windows with an OEM disk. Only clean installs (it will format and delete anything on the drive you choose to install in)

However, you can "repair" windows with the disk.

I have retail and it doesn't seamed tied to anything I have the same copy on like 3 PC. I just use the phone thing and say 0 pc and it works I've had to install the OS on my SSD 3 times so far.

Right? I have my w7 oem disk installed on my Gaming desktop, my spare testbench, my gf's laptop, a friends laptop, and on a relative's laptop.

The fine print says that the installer of the OS must provide support for the PC that has it installed, as they don't get support from microsoft, and that's just fine with me.

OEM's (Fresh, no bloatware, nothing else) are not tied down to the motherboard. The same key can be used over and over and over again no matter what hardware it's installed on. 

Retail (eMachines, Gateway, etc that contain bloat and the OS) is tied down to the hardware because they have software locks (I'm guessing)

So I should be able to upgrade to an ssd with the oem without any problems? And install on a media pc im going to be building for my parents?

OEM's (Fresh, no bloatware, nothing else) are not tied down to the motherboard. The same key can be used over and over and over again no matter what hardware it's installed on. 

Retail (eMachines, Gateway, etc that contain bloat and the OS) is tied down to the hardware because they have software locks (I'm guessing)

no no no there is a retail box and an OEM box is what he is asking

So I should be able to upgrade to an ssd with the oem without any problems? And install on a media pc im going to be building for my parents?

Oh, so you're ghosting over your hdd to an ssd. You should be fine, just make sure to set your BIOS or UEFI to AHCI mode instead of IDE when you install the ssd.

I always recommend the first startup after installing new hardware to be in safe mode by spamming the "f8" key during startup. That way windows loads default drivers for everything. After you check that everything works, restart windows normally.

OEM key isn't disc bound. If oem has come pre-installed in ie. laptop, there's little change that win7+ os will work in any other mobo (branded oem).

Reverse that, then it sounds about right.

There are bit confusion how OEMs work with win7. In XP/Vista you could use any cdkey in any hardware. I have exchanged HP branded XP-OEM to non-branded OEM and branded has worked fine in new hw. I believe that branded (pre-installed) OEMs are hw bound but can be activated by phone service. Non-branded (ones you bought from store) work like retail but don't have Microsofts software/OS support. Updates etc. work fine. 

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv