Port forwarding is confusing me. Please help

Go to solution Solved by dricha36,
3 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

192.168.0.1 doesn't bring up anything either. I can try plugging into the modem with my laptop then going to 10.0.0.1, but would I need to enable that to act as a router first? No idea how I would do that. Also, what should I do if I manage to get into a web UI when I do that?

Jumping in here. From the sounds of it, you have two subnets on the same LAN (your modem has routing functions turned on, and so does your router). The easiest way to achieve what you're looking for is to reset your modem (hold down the reset button for 30-60 seconds), plug directly in to it (with a computer), log in, and turn on "transparent bridging". Depending on the modem, this could also be called "bridging nat disabled", or something similar. This effectively disables all of the extra features on your modem (routing functions, that is) and turns it back in to a good, old-fashioned modem. From here, you can plug your router in to the modem, and then (if you have any wired devices) plug those into the router. DO NOT plug in to the modem, as this will put you on an entirely separate network. At this point, your router will be the only device managing the network, and any port forwarding settings set on there will take full effect.

So here's the deal. I've set up port forwarding wanting to be able to host a server in a fun little indie game called Risk of Rain. However I've only made the custom rule on my router, not aware that I would have to create one on the modem as well if I want people to be able to join from over the internet. My question is how can I access my modem to set up the custom rule there as well? Is there a web UI for that? 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

I'm not aware of modems needing port forwarding along with routers, but everything is different with different models. Could you say the models of your router and modem, please?

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

My router is a Netgear R6300v2. No idea on the modem, some modem/router combo from Comcast that we only use the modem part of. I can probably get the exact model if you need, but I've already been told be a couple people on reddit that I will need to configure that.

5 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

So here's the deal. I've set up port forwarding wanting to be able to host a server in a fun little indie game called Risk of Rain. However I've only made the custom rule on my router, not aware that I would have to create one on the modem as well if I want people to be able to join from over the internet. My question is how can I access my modem to set up the custom rule there as well? Is there a web UI for that? 

Shouldn't need to do anything with the modem.

Make sure the opened port on the router is assigned to the host computer's IP address.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Are you sure the combo's router isn't what you need to configure? It may be doing something strange, like running the router through the combo modem/router, and the modem/router combo needs to be port-forwarded. If you're sure you've done it right on the Netgear, try opening command prompt (press the Windows key + R and type cmd) and typing ipconfig. See if the default gateway is the IP of the Netgear router or something else. You could also try changing the last number of the gateway ip. For example, if the IP is 192.168.1.1, try 192.168.1.0, or something similar. You could also try going to 10.0.0.1. If none of this helps, we may need the specific modem model.

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

Shouldn't need to do anything with the modem.

Make sure the opened port on the router is assigned to the host computer's IP address.

Already have, and I made sure that said PC has a static IP address. Are you sure I won't need to mess with the modem though? A couple different people on /r/pcmasterrace have said that I will need to set up a custom rule there so that the ports will forward from the modem > router > my pc, if I want to let people join from across the internet, anyways. As I don't know almost anything about networking, now I don't know who to trust! xD

4 minutes ago, UL_42L said:

Are you sure the combo's router isn't what you need to configure? It may be doing something strange, like running the router through the combo modem/router, and the modem/router combo needs to be port-forwarded. If you're sure you've done it right on the Netgear, try opening command prompt (press the Windows key + R and type cmd) and typing ipconfig. See if the default gateway is the IP of the Netgear router or something else. You could also try changing the last number of the gateway ip. For example, if the IP is 192.168.1.1, try 192.168.1.0, or something similar. You could also try going to 10.0.0.1. If none of this helps, we may need the specific modem model.

I'm about 99% sure that I'm not using the router part of the combo box at all, just using it as a modem. The default gateway I'm on is in fact that of the Netgear router, which is 192.168.1.1. Both 192.168.1.0 and 10.0.0.1 do nothing. Sooo....not sure. 

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

I'm about 99% sure that I'm not using the router part of the combo box at all, just using it as a modem. The default gateway I'm on is in fact that of the Netgear router, which is 192.168.1.1. Both 192.168.1.0 and 10.0.0.1 do nothing. Sooo....not sure. 

Alright. Well, in this case, you might want to find the model on the modem and look it up. I wish it could be simpler for you, I know how frustrating networking can be...

2 minutes ago, UL_42L said:

Alright. Well, in this case, you might want to find the model on the modem and look it up. I wish it could be simpler for you, I know how frustrating networking can be...

Indeed, indeed. I'll get back to you with that model. 

Indeed, indeed. I'll get back to you with that model. 

Also, as a last resort, you could try using the built-in router, though I'm sure you're not using it for a reason.

3 minutes ago, UL_42L said:

Also, as a last resort, you could try using the built-in router, though I'm sure you're not using it for a reason.

I could, though I live with four other people who aren't super keen on me messing with this sort of thing at all so they probably wouldn't be pleased. Plus the speeds are a bit faster with the Netgear box. Anyhow, the modem is apparently a DPC3941T by Cisco. Can't find anything too useful from that online though, hopefully you know better where to look than me :P

2 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

I could, though I live with four other people who aren't super keen on me messing with this sort of thing at all so they probably wouldn't be pleased. Plus the speeds are a bit faster with the Netgear box. Anyhow, the modem is apparently a DPC3941T by Cisco. Can't find anything too useful from that online though, hopefully you know better where to look than me :P

Oops. I made a mistake - you should try 192.168.0.1, not 192.168.1.0. That might work for you; if not, you could try plugging a computer straight into the modem and then 10.0.0.1... If not changed, the login should be:

username: admin

password: password

2 minutes ago, UL_42L said:

Oops. I made a mistake - you should try 192.168.0.1, not 192.168.1.0. That might work for you; if not, you could try plugging a computer straight into the modem and then 10.0.0.1...

192.168.0.1 doesn't bring up anything either. I can try plugging into the modem with my laptop then going to 10.0.0.1, but would I need to enable that to act as a router first? No idea how I would do that. Also, what should I do if I manage to get into a web UI when I do that?

3 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Jumping in here. From the sounds of it, you have two subnets on the same LAN (your modem has routing functions turned on, and so does your router). The easiest way to achieve what you're looking for is to reset your modem (hold down the reset button for 30-60 seconds), plug directly in to it (with a computer), log in, and turn on "transparent bridging". Depending on the modem, this could also be called "bridging nat disabled", or something similar. This effectively disables all of the extra features on your modem (routing functions, that is) and turns it back in to a good, old-fashioned modem. From here, you can plug your router in to the modem, and then (if you have any wired devices) plug those into the router. DO NOT plug in to the modem, as this will put you on an entirely separate network. At this point, your router will be the only device managing the network, and any port forwarding settings set on there will take full effect.

3 minutes ago, dricha36 said:

Okay, all these network shenanigans are making me a little nervous, but if nothing can really go wrong from this (and I assume if it does I can disable the transparent bridging thing again), I'll give that a try.

13 minutes ago, dricha36 said:

Update: No reset button to be found on the modem. Will unplugging it and plugging it back in after 30-60 sec have the same effect? Something else I should do?

Okay, all these network shenanigans are making me a little nervous, but if nothing can really go wrong from this (and I assume if it does I can disable the transparent bridging thing again), I'll give that a try.

Not really much to worry about (though I know it can all seem intimidating). If you manage to "break" something beyond repair, the reset button (and the LTT community) will always be there for you haha. The new "modems" from ISPs are really modems/routers/switches/access points. Enabling transparent bridging turns off all routing functionality (and using access point functions). So if you plug into the ethernet jacks on the modem with TB on, you are effectively plugging directly into the internet, with no router. By plugging your router into one of these ports, and then plugging your network into the router (or connecting to it's WiFi), you create your internal LAN.

I believe in your previous situation, your modem had its routing on, and of course your router did as well. Your first subnet had only your router as a client, and your second subnet had all of your devices on it. So when packets were coming in from the internet saying "I am here to see port XXXX (or whatever port you're using)", your modem had no idea what to do, as your router was the device where you entered port forwarding rules. So now (with transparent bridging), packets will come in from the internet, pass right through your modem (hence the word "transparent"), and hit your router before saying "I am here to see port XXXX". When your router hears this, it will read it's rule sheet and say "coolio dude, port XXXX is at IP ABCD (insert your PC's IP here). 

10 minutes ago, dricha36 said:

Not really much to worry about (though I know it can all seem intimidating). If you manage to "break" something beyond repair, the reset button (and the LTT community) will always be there for you haha. The new "modems" from ISPs are really modems/routers/switches/access points. Enabling transparent bridging turns off all routing functionality (and using access point functions). So if you plug into the ethernet jacks on the modem with TB on, you are effectively plugging directly into the internet, with no router. By plugging your router into one of these ports, and then plugging your network into the router (or connecting to it's WiFi), you create your internal LAN.

I believe in your previous situation, your modem had its routing on, and of course your router did as well. Your first subnet had only your router as a client, and your second subnet had all of your devices on it. So when packets were coming in from the internet saying "I am here to see port XXXX (or whatever port you're using)", your modem had no idea what to do, as your router was the device where you entered port forwarding rules. So now (with transparent bridging), packets will come in from the internet, pass right through your modem (hence the word "transparent"), and hit your router before saying "I am here to see port XXXX". When your router hears this, it will read it's rule sheet and say "coolio dude, port XXXX is at IP ABCD (insert your PC's IP here). 

I asked above, but I don't see a reset switch. As I assume you've left I'm just going to go ahead anyways.

I asked above, but I don't see a reset switch. As I assume you've left I'm just going to go ahead anyways.

I don't think unplugging it will change anything. I would say they're designed to hold settings when power is lost. If you haven't already, you can try the 192.168.0.1 address, but other than that, I'm really at a loss. You could try calling Comcast about it...

3 minutes ago, UL_42L said:

I don't think unplugging it will change anything. I would say they're designed to hold settings when power is lost. If you haven't already, you can try the 192.168.0.1 address, but other than that, I'm really at a loss. You could try calling Comcast about it...

I think I'll try what dricha suggested first without doing the reset, as that may have just been precautionary on his part. 

I think I'll try what dricha suggested first without doing the reset, as that may have just been precautionary on his part. 

This was, as you noted, precautionary. Just as a "clear all" to start with a clean slate. Particularly, this should reset your modem's IP to something standard. If you manage to access the modem without resetting it though, you should still be good to go.

1 minute ago, dricha36 said:

This was, as you noted, precautionary. Just as a "clear all" to start with a clean slate. Particularly, this should reset your modem's IP to something standard. If you manage to access the modem without resetting it though, you should still be good to go.

I just did, looking for the TB setting now...

4 minutes ago, dricha36 said:

And finding the TB setting is proving difficult. Any idea where it would be? 

And finding the TB setting is proving difficult. Any idea where it would be? 

What kinds of tabs or headers do you have at the top or left side of the page?

3 minutes ago, dricha36 said:

What kinds of tabs or headers do you have at the top or left side of the page?

modem thing.png