sony z3 water damage and insurance question

last saturday i got y sony z3 back from my insurance company since my old one was very broke and today while i was in the bath it slipped out of my hand and went into the water and now the screen no longer works. by went into the water i mean the whole phone wasnt submerged it was only about 3cm in at the bottom for less than 5 seconds but the screen no longer works. and i am really annoyed at this since the hone is rated at being fully submerged at 1.5m for 30 minutes of use and it broke after 3cm for less than 5 seconds.

so i was wondering can  i complain to my insurance company about this since it should have been fine even though it is not or would the company not do anything about it. or would i t be better to get in contact with sony about this whole ordeal?

were all the ports and covers closed firmly?

the phone might have died from the drop and not from being submerged

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The water resistance (NOT proof) is provided by the overal design, but is as strong as the weakest port flap. Each port flap has a small water-detecting surface that is white initially. If water entered through any of the flaps, the small area will turn red. Open up the ports if the phone is already dry, and check for the red area. If nothing is red, I doubt it's water damage.

Also, 99.99% of insurance companies don't cover water damage if that small area is red. :)

Ordinarily I'd laugh and suggest you are more careful, but if the phone is designed to handle water like you say, it seems like your particular way of using it is perfectly acceptable and that they totally should give you another one.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

were all the ports and covers closed firmly?

the phone might have died from the drop and not from being submerged

the phone landed on my belly and yes all ports were closed even though the werent under the water it was never fully submerged only 3cm up the screen didnt even get to the volume rocker

1 minute ago, joe_p231 said:

the phone landed on my belly and yes all ports were closed even though the werent under the water it was never fully submerged only 3cm up the screen didnt even get to the volume rocker

then contact sony and RMA it, cause thats definitely not normal

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Ho0pz4sho said:

The water resistance (NOT proof) is provided by the overal design, but is as strong as the weakest port flap. Each port flap has a small water-detecting surface that is white initially. If water entered through any of the flaps, the small area will turn red. Open up the ports if the phone is already dry, and check for the red area. If nothing is red, I doubt it's water damage.

Also, 99.99% of insurance companies don't cover water damage if that small area is red. :)

the water didnt get into any of the flaps it only wne taround 3cm up the screen no were near the flaps and ports

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

then contact sony and RMA it, cause thats definitely not normal

do you think they would take it since it is not my original phone

the water didnt get into any of the flaps it only wne taround 3cm up the screen no were near the flaps and ports

If you've checked them and none of them are red, it means the screen failed from another reason. 

1 minute ago, Ho0pz4sho said:

If you've checked them and none of them are red, it means the screen failed from another reason. 

i cant see it being any other reason since it was fine before it slipped in but not after it had a little bit of water on it

i cant see it being any other reason since it was fine before it slipped in but not after it had a little bit of water on it

Unless the phone was bad from the start (i.e. had a crack on the case or something that would allow water to get in), it's pretty much impossible. Water doesn't penetrate steel/aluminum/whatever metal the phone is made of. Unless it entered through the flaps. But if you say the inside of each flap has the white thingy intact, it can't be water.

7 minutes ago, joe_p231 said:

do you think they would take it since it is not my original phone

its still a sony phone, so they should

Spoiler