Low budget headphones, is it worth the upgrade?

markoskerass

Hello I was looking for new headphones, and I was wondering if it actually matters what I choose. I was basically looking for some closed headphones, since I feel bad for people that have to deal with sounds coming out of my headphones and I am on a really tight budget. Any thoughts on what I should get (yes yes I know that I have really limited options with that budget). Do you have any suggestions? They will be mostly used for ,well, everything ranging from listening to music, light gaming and video editing (rarely). I am not that big of an audiophile myself I usually always end up buying 10-15$ earbuds but this time I wanted to see if it is worth moving upwards the budget ladder.

Here are some of the headphones I was looking at:

AKG K92 - 59€

Audio Technica Pro 5 Mk2 ~ 70€where I live

Sennheiser HD 419 ~ 70€

Do you have any suggestions on what I should be aiming for? Most of the headphones on the pinned thread are either way higher or way lower than my budget.

Thanks in advance :)

CPU: AMD FX 6300 4.6 GHZ 1.392vCore ||||| Cooler: Hyper 212 evo ||||| MOBO: Gigabyte 990XA UD3 REV 3.0 ||||| RAM: Kingston Hyperx Fury (Single channel) 1866 8GB CL10 ||||| GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 1GB ||||| PSU: CoolerMaster G550m 80+ Bronze ||||| SSD: Kingston SSDnow v300 ||||| HDDs: 2x 250gb 1x Wedstern Digital 320gb |||| Case: CoolerMaster Silencio 650 Black Pure Midnight

I sadly can't... I am planning on ordering them through the internet since most stores here usually have only really expensive headphones available for you to try out (Sennheiser HD 800s were the only thing available for testing out when I visited a store last week).

CPU: AMD FX 6300 4.6 GHZ 1.392vCore ||||| Cooler: Hyper 212 evo ||||| MOBO: Gigabyte 990XA UD3 REV 3.0 ||||| RAM: Kingston Hyperx Fury (Single channel) 1866 8GB CL10 ||||| GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 1GB ||||| PSU: CoolerMaster G550m 80+ Bronze ||||| SSD: Kingston SSDnow v300 ||||| HDDs: 2x 250gb 1x Wedstern Digital 320gb |||| Case: CoolerMaster Silencio 650 Black Pure Midnight

1 minute ago, markoskerass said:

I sadly can't... I am planning on ordering them through the internet since most stores here usually have only really expensive headphones available for you to try out (Sennheiser HD 800s were the only thing available for testing out when I visited a store last week).

I am so jelly now.... I can only try cheap headphones out in my city.

I think the best ones are the Sennheiser and AKG's

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

16 minutes ago, markoskerass said:

all of those 3 are good choices.

with expensive headphones its like with ips or 144hz. it doesnt make a huge difference if your honest but you just cant go back. 60-70€ is actually are pretty good budget for headphones because you get the best performance per dollar imo.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Go on youtube and look for Z reviews. He does TONS of budget headphones and higher end stuff too.

1 minute ago, alphaproject said:

Go on youtube and look for Z reviews. He does TONS of budget headphones and higher end stuff too.

He is not a good reviewer all. He is sensitive to highs and his hearing is also not very good, all of his views are very opinionated and not very well informed.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I tend to trust him personally. I got a set of cans because he said they were really good, and he was right, I love em.

A person sensitive to highs means you have not torches your upper range like most people in rock bands. If you have sensitive ears it just means they are good. Of course they are opinionated, what were a review be without an opinion. He's listened to TONS of headphones, speakers...  Trust me, more people trust him than don't or he wouldn't get SVS to send him out brand new products to review. He didn't like their primes so they sent him the Ultra Primes... and he loved them.

14 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

I tend to trust him personally. I got a set of cans because he said they were really good, and he was right, I love em.

A person sensitive to highs means you have not torches your upper range like most people in rock bands. If you have sensitive ears it just means they are good. Of course they are opinionated, what were a review be without an opinion. He's listened to TONS of headphones, speakers...  Trust me, more people trust him than don't or he wouldn't get SVS to send him out brand new products to review. He didn't like their primes so they sent him the Ultra Primes... and he loved them.

I have insanely sensitive ears, I have been tested so many times by a hospital. His videos are kinda funny to watch for people who know a lot about headphones, because he is just so wrong sometimes it's funny.

29 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I have insanely sensitive ears, I have been tested so many times by a hospital. His videos are kinda funny to watch for people who know a lot about headphones, because he is just so wrong sometimes it's funny.

And you can get some useful info out of them if you know how to sort out all the bs.

Like headfi...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 minute ago, spwath said:

And you can get some useful info out of them if you know how to sort out all the bs.

Like headfi...

I kinda stay as much away from headfi as I can :D I try as many headphones as I can and I try amps and dacs, it can be a little irritating sometimes.

Right now I am looking for some nice closed headphones I can use on the go also, but every time I try some out and I like them they are like 500$+ xD 

1 hour ago, alphaproject said:

I recommend that you peruse this thread: http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/z-review-finally-has-a-go-with-the-hd800.1994/

To sum up:

Whether his acting is sincere or not is irrelevant to the fact that he has a direct financial incentive in hyping budget gear that his fanbase will buy on Amazon with affiliate links.

I do not like "Zeos"; I do not approve of him, and I do not advise that people watch him for information.

11 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Right now I am looking for some nice closed headphones I can use on the go also, but every time I try some out and I like them they are like 500$+ xD 

Unfortunately, good closed headphones tend to be expensive; it's a harder platform to make sound good. Have you had a chance to hear the TH-X00?

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Unfortunately, good closed headphones tend to be expensive; it's a harder platform to make sound good. Have you had a chance to hear the TH-X00?

Yes and I want them, but they are kinda big for on the go :D I have kinda been thinking about the P7.

People have egos man. If some guy seems to be getting a lot of views and gear for free they tend to bash him. He didn't like the HD800's as much as he wanted, so what?

If you're going to blow that much money on headphones just get Audeze LCD X.

1 hour ago, alphaproject said:

People have egos man. If some guy seems to be getting a lot of views and gear for free they tend to bash him. He didn't like the HD800's as much as he wanted, so what?

If you're going to blow that much money on headphones just get Audeze LCD X.

He is factual incorrect and if you review audio you should be as neutral as possible and tell how the sound signature is, not just your opinion and if you like them. A lot of people will love the headphones he hates and a lot of people will hate the headphones he loves.

Why should we just buy the LCD X if we were to spend that much money on headphones, did you forget that we all have different preferences, so some might love the HD 800 and hate the LCD X and the other way around.

Well dude, going by what you say, you might as well listen to no one's opinion about audio then. Don't watch reviews, don't read reviews... don't bother with anything then.  If you can't hear them for yourself, don't buy them, is basically what you are saying.

4 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

Well dude, going by what you say, you might as well listen to no one's opinion about audio then. Don't watch reviews, don't read reviews... don't bother with anything then.  If you can't hear them for yourself, don't buy them, is basically what you are saying.

No, "dude". We're saying that Zeos shills crap to get hits on his Amazon affiliate links; knows fuck-all about audio; and only appears as an expert on the subject to idiots and the uninformed. Calling out these very obvious problems does not mean that we're envious of his views and free shit.

That's not true... he links everything on amazon whether he likes it or not. How is that relevant to his opinion. Even if he rips on something he shows a link to it, even if it's sold out.

It's your opinion that you think he sucks. Why are you more trustworthy than anyone else on the net?

I went by many people's suggestions to buy the Beyerdynamic DT 770 and I regretted it.

They were ok at first... but as the pads wore down, my ears touched the inside. The highs also were not nearly as clear as I would have liked and the left side rumbled from day one but everyone said they were the best so I held on to them. Even Zeos likes them and I don't... doesn't mean he didn't steer me right with the Takstar-pro 80 clones I bought after seeing his review. In fact I enjoy these more than the DT 770's. So he did me a favor by reviewing those and I watch his vids from time to time because of that.

11 minutes ago, SSL said:

No, "dude". We're saying that Zeos shills crap to get hits on his Amazon affiliate links; knows fuck-all about audio; and only appears as an expert on the subject to idiots and the uninformed. Calling out these very obvious problems does not mean that we're envious of his views and free shit.

I am pretty sure that if we wanted to spend our time reviewing headphones and make youtube videos, companies would also send us things.

Am I the only one that thinks it's really weird that people send him things, that he then sends it back to them. Why would you ever trust a person you don't know in real life with things that are worth more than $1k.

8 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

That's not true... he links everything on amazon whether he likes it or not. How is that relevant to his opinion. Even if he rips on something he shows a link to it, even if it's sold out.

Because he makes money if you buy them with his link.

8 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

It's your opinion that you think he sucks. Why are you more trustworthy than anyone else on the net?

Well we know what we are talking about and he doesn't and I think that we have proven that we know a lot about audio so many times in here.

9 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

I went by many people's suggestions to buy the Beyerdynamic DT 770 and I regretted it.

They were ok at first... but as the pads wore down, my ears touched the inside. The highs also were not nearly as clear as I would have liked and the left side rumbled from day one but everyone said they were the best so I held on to them. Even Zeos likes them and I don't... doesn't mean he didn't steer me right with the Takstar-pro 80 clones I bought after seeing his review. In fact I enjoy these more than the DT 770's. So he did me a favor by reviewing those and I watch his vids from time to time because of that.

Well maybe you did not explain what kind of sound signature you were looking for. 

22 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

Amazon affiliate links. It's a financial conflict of interest. Not because he's getting paid to review things, but because he is monetizing viewer involvement, thus self-incentivizing ever greater levels of hype.

24 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

Why is Zeos more trustworthy than anyone else on the net? I've explained why that isn't the case; it has nothing to do with my opinion.

Bottom line; if you like Zeos and agree with him, great. More power to you. Just think twice before recommending that other people use him as an authoritative source of information.

16 hours ago, SSL said:

I recommend that you peruse this thread: http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/z-review-finally-has-a-go-with-the-hd800.1994/

To sum up:

I do not like "Zeos"; I do not approve of him, and I do not advise that people watch him for information.

Interesting/entertaining read, i spent the past half hour reading that thread. Some very good points were brought up, and some not so good points. Interesting to read.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 hours ago, spwath said:

Interesting/entertaining read, i spent the past half hour reading that thread. Some very good points were brought up, and some not so good points. Interesting to read.

Yep. I think the guy OJ brought up the best points; he is also a moderator on r/headphones I think, so he had some additional insight and basically confirmed what I suspected all along.

Looked a lot like a witch hunt too. I mean, if u don't like a youtuber why do you even know about him or what him... literally makes no sense.

5 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

Looked a lot like a witch hunt too. I mean, if u don't like a youtuber why do you even know about him or what him... literally makes no sense.

Because, like you, many people spam his videos across the forhams. One of the old regulars, ShearMe, referenced his review of the SMSL SD793-II, so I sat through that at one point.

5 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

Because people keep bringing him up and he is so stupid sometimes that it is funny xD