A bit of a confession

So I wanted to make a bit of a confession about my first PC build that I know was a totally wrong choice, and a very very bad idea to even begin with PC building. 

What was so bad? Well i used exclusively really top tier parts.

Heres pretty much the entire build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/T7gd8d

And heres some horrible pictures of the horrible job I did putting it all together: http://imgur.com/a/RQMnW

My choices weren't the WORST, but as you might be able to see in the pictures I pieced it horribly together. 

The top rad is a 240mm which really didn't fit well in the cooler master case, the thing is hanging by a thread really. Which is... disgusting to say the least. The GTX hybrid's radiator is also positioned on wrong. 

I probably should have chosen lower end parts to start out with, though the work I do does require some higher processing but an I5 would have taken care of it.

My goal was to try and make a purple build, which really isn't easily achievable with the parts I tried to use. I used some corsair purple led fans, but they really are a darker color and don't show up very well. 

The cable management is horrible, I got frustrated and didn't even really try. 

All in all, I will be re-purposing all of these parts. 

The i7 will go into a new build I'm creating trying to redeem myself: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HwpxZL

Some of the parts on this list might not all exactly make sense just yet, there is still a lot to take off and other things to put on the list.

The idea is to make a build centered around dark souls' moonlight greatsword: XeeLzXg.jpg

But yeah, I could have kept this to myself, but I kinda wanted to share my experience, maybe see if anybody did the same thing with their first builds, probably not :D

3 minutes ago, Aytex said:

get the perma link   

sorry bout that, I updated all the links 

Just now, RangerLunis said:

sorry bout that, I updated all the links 

well the build looks pretty much, the best you can get. so I'm guessing your changing the build to focus on cable management?

Honestly it just looks like you didn't do a little research on what the case can and can't hold. If you get another case that thing would be clean as it gets.

Just now, Aytex said:

well the build looks pretty much, the best you can get. so I'm guessing your changing the build to focus on cable management?

The parts for sure are some of the best you can get, but i'm changing it mostly because i'm just not satisfied with the current one, it really looks horrible and I really don't like working in the coolermaster pro. The new build is more for just... looks, and a few other updates like the 1080 and other ssd's for projects. the new build is also being watercooled which a friend who is much more experienced than I has agreed to help with. I'll be sticking the 980ti in a itx build eventually and the mobo will be in another build. I might sell the case.

1 minute ago, Dr. Pockets said:

Honestly it just looks like you didn't do a little research on what the case can and can't hold. If you get another case that thing would be clean as it gets.

Pretty much, I'm going for a watercooling build next with the phanteks evolv

1 minute ago, RangerLunis said:

The parts for sure are some of the best you can get, but i'm changing it mostly because i'm just not satisfied with the current one, it really looks horrible and I really don't like working in the coolermaster pro. The new build is more for just... looks, and a few other updates like the 1080 and other ssd's for projects. the new build is also being watercooled which a friend who is much more experienced than I has agreed to help with. I'll be sticking the 980ti in a itx build eventually and the mobo will be in another build. I might sell the case.

well make sure you get some sleeved cables, and you should be good

Just now, Aytex said:

well make sure you get some sleeved cables, and you should be good

WXzXTw3.png 

:)

Pretty much, I'm going for a watercooling build next with the phanteks evolv

I would go with Rigid cooling.

And as for a case, in the future cases are 2 things,

1. How you want it to look

2. Will all my parts fit with good managed cables

Some people assume you just list newegg by most expensive parts first and that's the best you can get. Don't fall into that trap!

4 minutes ago, Dr. Pockets said:

I would go with Rigid cooling.

And as for a case, in the future cases are 2 things,

1. How you want it to look

2. Will all my parts fit with good managed cables

Some people assume you just list newegg by most expensive parts first and that's the best you can get. Don't fall into that trap!

This is the new build so far:  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HwpxZL

Like I said up above I have some editing to do but yeah, i'm going with rigid PEGT tubing, I'm a bit experienced with acrylic tubes, not for computers, but for other projects, and I have a much more experienced friend whos promised to help me. 

3 minutes ago, RangerLunis said:

This is the new build so far:  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HwpxZL

Like I said up above I have some editing to do but yeah, i'm going with rigid PEGT tubing, I'm a bit experienced with acrylic tubes, not for computers, but for other projects, and I have a much more experienced friend whos promised to help me. 

I've never found a positive for Acrylic tubing besides being easier to bend. They tend to break easier and I move my tower a lot so I didn't need that stress in my life. Get a bending kit too. Monsoon makes one and JESUS was it worth it. Honestly if you want I'll sell you my kit I don't think I'll need it again for a long time. Just make sure the kit matches the tubing sizes.

EDIT: Careful with cougar fans. Best you can get but loud little buggers.

I've never found a positive for Acrylic tubing besides being easier to bend. They tend to break easier and I move my tower a lot so I didn't need that stress in my life. Get a bending kit too. Monsoon makes one and JESUS was it worth it. Honestly if you want I'll sell you my kit I don't think I'll need it again for a long time. Just make sure the kit matches the tubing sizes.

I've got a kit listed down below and yeah I agree acrylic was a pain to work with and PEGT seems like a much better option. I'll be using 1/2 inch tubing from primochill

i would suggest to just spend more time building your stuff. when i started i needed 6+ hours to assemble a pc like that. you need to really want it to look perfect. if you watch videos of people doing hardline watercooling they litteraly spend a day just bending.

with my pc i litteraly build my own case which took more than a month. when you want a high end pc to look good you really need to spend a lot of time.

for beginners i would suggest to start with basic stuff like non modular power supplies. its just a little thing but you learn to hide cables from it.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Man are you going all out. O.o

I went all out the first time might as well go out this time :D it is using parts from the old build, ram, processor, but yeah.

1 minute ago, RangerLunis said:

I went all out the first time might as well go out this time :D it is using parts from the old build, ram, processor, but yeah.

I'd recommend different monitors then. If you're going ultra wide get 1440p Ultra wides. Monitors will last pretty much forever. I have 3 24in 1080ps and 1 40in 1080p I use in my setup and WISH I had something 1440p in there.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pockets said:

I'd recommend different monitors then. If you're going ultra wide get 1440p Ultra wides. Monitors will last pretty much forever. I have 3 24in 1080ps and 1 40in 1080p I use in my setup and WISH I had something 1440p in there.

Yeah maybe, I'm still doing some research in those but yeah those are just the monitors I have now actually, and I dunno if I really wanna replace them but i'll do some research

Yeah maybe, I'm still doing some research in those but yeah those are just the monitors I have now actually, and I dunno if I really wanna replace them but i'll do some research

If you're going all out is what I was referring to.

7 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

i would suggest to just spend more time building your stuff. when i started i needed 6+ hours to assemble a pc like that. you need to really want it to look perfect. if you watch videos of people doing hardline watercooling they litteraly spend a day just bending.

with my pc i litteraly build my own case which took more than a month. when you want a high end pc to look good you really need to spend a lot of time.

for beginners i would suggest to start with basic stuff like non modular power supplies. its just a little thing but you learn to hide cables from it.

I totally agree, and last time it was a huge frustrating thing when I built my last PC, and the tempered glass case is just going to make it harder to hide those cables, but this time i'm set on cable management. A semi modular might be nice to make things a bit easier but yeah. I will definitely spend a lot time on bending. I probably will actually buy a small set of pegt tubing just to practice with.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Pockets said:

If you're going all out is what I was referring to.

Yeah I understand i'll probably keep these two and buy a high res third