iphone 5s folding

someone needs to make this happen so that people can fold from the new processors in the iphone 5s, and android devices 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

I don't think that phones could handle it while also doing other applications running, so It would slow it down drastically

FX-6300 @ 4.1 MHz; Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo; XFX Radeon 7870 Core Edition; Arock 970 Extreme 3; Corsair CX600; Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 @1600MHz; Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Zalman Z9 Case

Asus U43F-BBA7; i5-460M @ 2.53GHz; Crucial 8GB(2x4GB) @1333MHz; Intel 520 120GB SSD

LOL 

I imagine the rants: "geez, my iPhone won't fold longer than 30 minutes till it drains my battery. I might as well start my own cancer research or whatever folding is for"

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

LOL 

I imagine the rants: "geez, my iPhone won't fold longer than 30 minutes till it drains my battery. I might as well start my own cancer research or whatever folding is for"

Hahaha I guessed I missed the main point that the battery would drain like no tomorrow, lol

FX-6300 @ 4.1 MHz; Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo; XFX Radeon 7870 Core Edition; Arock 970 Extreme 3; Corsair CX600; Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 @1600MHz; Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Zalman Z9 Case

Asus U43F-BBA7; i5-460M @ 2.53GHz; Crucial 8GB(2x4GB) @1333MHz; Intel 520 120GB SSD

Hahaha I guessed I missed the main point that the battery would drain like no tomorrow, lol

well that spring of an idea got tore apart quick  :huh:

#KilledMyWife 

well that spring of an idea got tore apart quick  :huh:

While you leave it charging over night, you could get it to fold then ;)

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

While you leave it charging over night, you could get it to fold then ;)

It would probably ignite the nightstand it is lying on by the heat it's producing.. :D

who cares...

It would probably ignite the nightstand it is lying on by the heat it's producing.. :D

Put it in a bag, then put it in the fridge/freezer 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Put it in a bag, then put it in the fridge/freezer 

What about a cold pad, gel pad that is frozen. and then you place the phone attached to 2 redundant psu chargers so that it doesn't fail. 

#KilledMyWife 

What about a cold pad, gel pad that is frozen. and then you place the phone attached to 2 redundant psu chargers so that it doesn't fail. 

true or just put it on like a desk or table with no cloth or water ever and let it run, doubt it would get hot enough to burn through solid timber, melt glass or metal LOL, unless you own a mac, i have seen them with burn marks underneath 

instead of phones why not raspberry pies? or can u already do that? dont know anything about folding except it uses alot of power 

I am laughing my ass off right now. :D

We excessiveley try to merge the iP5S into a scenario where it could possibly fold one or two molecules per hour. xD

Meanwhile the $700 for the iP could be used for a very nice folding rig. :D

who cares...

you can do BOINC on android devices, not sure about iphone's since I don't own one.

I tried boinc on my old galaxy s 2, but the heat was a problem.

the app is great, you can limit it in so many ways so you make sure that it will do the work only when there's optimal conditions.

here's the link if anyone wants to check it out https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.berkeley.boinc&hl=en

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

I don't see an iPhone folding. Even though it has one of the advanced CPUs for a phone it still can't compare to a desktop/laptop CPU.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

I don't see an iPhone folding. Even though it has one of the advanced CPUs for a phone it still can't compare to a desktop/laptop CPU.

As much as I agree, it has similar performance to a Bay Trail Intel Atom.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

As much as I agree, it has similar performance to a Bay Trail Intel Atom.

That is true but it then there is the question about cooling, which there is a lack of, because folding introduces a lot of heat.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

I've got a 5s. Its ridiculously fast and I wouldn't mind it folding overnight while its plugged in. 

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=13821

This should be a good read although I'll quote the main argument against folding on Arm/Mobile CPU's.

Re: FAH on mobile devices

Postby bruce » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:43 am

FAH is not suitable for mobile devices. When FAH runs on a computer, it typically uses 100% of the processing time for many hours at at time. For laptop computers, this depletes the batteries very quickly and FAH has a feature that allows it to disable itself when running on batteries. Unlike mobile devices, many laptops spend many hours per day plugged in.

Also, mobile devices generally do not support the floating point operations that FAH needs, so 1GHz is a meaningless number.

This still holds true even today even on the latest and greatest ARM cpu's.

And from the Pi discussion, I bring you this! :)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60088-rasberry-pi-folding/?p=816988

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Yea umm no. You realize how hot the chips would get? You coudlnt hold your phone also it would be terrible for your battery

And from the Pi discussion, I bring you this! :)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60088-rasberry-pi-folding/?p=816988

Linking 2 threads into 1.  :lol: (You link Pi from here, I link this thread from there). 

Although in truth, if it wasn't for the hardware difference, You could just merge them as there almost the same thread. lol

Maybe this should be mentioned in the FAQ as this type of topic will come up every now then (like when the next "Iphone/ipad" or next "major smartphone" / "ARM based tablet" comes around). 

It'd be far easier to link the FAQ than having to retype everything you and I have said. 

Linking 2 threads into 1.  :lol: (You link Pi from here, I link this thread from there). 

Although in truth, if it wasn't for the hardware difference, You could just merge them as there almost the same thread. lol

Maybe this should be mentioned in the FAQ as this type of topic will come up every now then (like when the next "Iphone/ipad" or next "major smartphone" / "ARM based tablet" comes around). 

It'd be far easier to link the FAQ than having to retype everything you and I have said. 

Good idea...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99