Kaby Lake/Broadwell E Approximate Release Date?

I'm planning to build a gaming pc this june/july, when the gtx 1070 (and possibly a polaris card in the same price range) come out. I was planning on getting the build with the i7 6700k, but I've been starting to think about how close the newer intel cpus are to launching. Should I be worried about the next generation of intel cpus coming nearly after june/july? Do you think it will come during this time frame? Would it be a major difference? I have been waiting for a long time to get this build, but maybe it might be slightly foolish to get the build right before the new intel cpus come out. Please let me know what you all think. 

1 minute ago, APatientGuy said:

For Broadwell - E , I would say around June - July possibly August as some reviewers already have their hands on Broadwell -E generation motherboards. 

For Kaby Lake, I would say Q3 2016, so not for a while

Although, these are just my assumptions as we don't really know the release date.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Kaby lake -  Soon(TM) 

6 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

Kaby lake -  Soon(TM) 

:)

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

it will be a 5-10% improvement like every other generation. honestly its not worth the wait, even Haswell is still going stong these days. if skylake is anything to go by, it will be overpriced and out of stock the first few months.

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

probably not worth the wait, and it will probably be months later (not june july) so if you can wait, why not but i wouldn't worry too much about the new generation.

So guys.

Are you going to get one if it is smaller than 14nm?

Or prefer better performance and lower power consumption compared to Haswell-E?

55 minutes ago, APatientGuy said:

I'm planning to build a gaming pc this june/july, when the gtx 1070 (and possibly a polaris card in the same price range) come out. I was planning on getting the build with the i7 6700k, but I've been starting to think about how close the newer intel cpus are to launching. Should I be worried about the next generation of intel cpus coming nearly after june/july? Do you think it will come during this time frame? Would it be a major difference? I have been waiting for a long time to get this build, but maybe it might be slightly foolish to get the build right before the new intel cpus come out. Please let me know what you all think. 

There's really no reason... Kaby lake isn't even a tock, it's a semi-tock.  The difference in performance will be miniscule, probably not even noticeable in games

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

2 minutes ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

There's really no reason... Kaby lake isn't even a tock, it's a semi-tock.  The difference in performance will be miniscule, probably not even noticeable in games

By semi-tock do you mean a refresh? Somewhat like devil's canyon?

1 hour ago, APatientGuy said:

By semi-tock do you mean a refresh? Somewhat like devil's canyon?

Not quite.  It's not just a refresh, but it's also not a full microarchitecture update.  This Wikipedia article explains it pretty well.

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, SerialAceTU1 said:

So guys.

Are you going to get one if it is smaller than 14nm?

Or prefer better performance and lower power consumption compared to Haswell-E?

That would be Cannonlake, which comes out next year or the year after that :/

Intel's mainstream CPU releases every year and pending nothing going wrong they aim for the back to the school sale spike, that is in and around August. Sometimes they miss it and it goes into Q4 and becomes more a Christmas release or even the next year (like with the first i7's) but generally that is their most profitable release period and its what they aim for. Intel is going to do that every year and so once you get 6+ months out from a previous release you know the next one is close.

The Enterprise chips however have been kind of unreliable, they don't have a similar ideal release period within the year and as such tend to come out all over the place. Broadwell-E must be close as bios and motherboards have been released so I would expect a release soon but this one seems to have been delayed quite a bit generally.

Skylake came out September 2015, and last year was the right time to buy it to maximise its potential value. If you do intend to buy in July you would be buying it with just a few months before the next chip comes out, and when it comes out the previous generation will almost certainly be discounted to clear inventory shortly before. So buying right now or the next couple of months will be disproportionately expensive than had you a) bought it around its release or b) bought it once the new chip was due and inventory was being cleared.

There is a simple rule with silicon products, buy them near release once the price has stabilised (sometimes there is low volume in retail initially) or buy them budget when the next thing has released, but you definitely shouldn't buy them just before the next thing is due at full price and the later you leave it the less of the value you get out of it. A lot of people are buying when they are buying and don't follow the silicon process improvements and such all that much, but once you are evolving your machine over time and buying when a valuable improvement has been made doing this ensures much better value and performance in the long term. Since you already have a machine I would suggest you start considering the cycles and progress being made and how to maximise performance/$ by paying attention to the way the silicon industry itself actually works.

10 hours ago, DrM said:

it will be a 5-10% improvement like every other generation. honestly its not worth the wait, even Haswell is still going stong these days. if skylake is anything to go by, it will be overpriced and out of stock the first few months.

but for the overclockers in the community, like me, that 5-10% improvement will be that much more of an edge on everyone else, you know?

Its not a justifiable reason to upgrade from skylake, but, however if you're buying a new CPU you should buy Kaby over sky, I myself am in the process of earning enough money to buy a Z170 OC Forumla and a i3-6100 and when Kaby Lake drops by the 7700k

1 hour ago, BrightCandle said:

Intel's mainstream CPU releases every year and pending nothing going wrong they aim for the back to the school sale spike, that is in and around August. Sometimes they miss it and it goes into Q4 and becomes more a Christmas release or even the next year (like with the first i7's) but generally that is their most profitable release period and its what they aim for. Intel is going to do that every year and so once you get 6+ months out from a previous release you know the next one is close.

The Enterprise chips however have been kind of unreliable, they don't have a similar ideal release period within the year and as such tend to come out all over the place. Broadwell-E must be close as bios and motherboards have been released so I would expect a release soon but this one seems to have been delayed quite a bit generally.

Skylake came out September 2015, and last year was the right time to buy it to maximise its potential value. If you do intend to buy in July you would be buying it with just a few months before the next chip comes out, and when it comes out the previous generation will almost certainly be discounted to clear inventory shortly before. So buying right now or the next couple of months will be disproportionately expensive than had you a) bought it around its release or b) bought it once the new chip was due and inventory was being cleared.

There is a simple rule with silicon products, buy them near release once the price has stabilised (sometimes there is low volume in retail initially) or buy them budget when the next thing has released, but you definitely shouldn't buy them just before the next thing is due at full price and the later you leave it the less of the value you get out of it. A lot of people are buying when they are buying and don't follow the silicon process improvements and such all that much, but once you are evolving your machine over time and buying when a valuable improvement has been made doing this ensures much better value and performance in the long term. Since you already have a machine I would suggest you start considering the cycles and progress being made and how to maximise performance/$ by paying attention to the way the silicon industry itself actually works.

Thank you for the lengthy response. I definitely understand what you mean, but there are also many other factors when it comes to building a pc to take into consideration. For example, by the time kaby lake comes out and the price stabilizes, black friday will come, zen will be near, and then polaris/vega gpus after, etc. Right now the pc I have is an overpriced (around $1250) hp all in one with integrated graphics I got as a gift with a dual core i5. I would not really consider it a real system, as it struggles to run even cs:go at a decent frame rate at the lowest settings, let alone AAA titles. I understand there might be a better time to purchase the pc, but there are always new major parts on the horizon. These interfere with each other which causes me to believe that there is not really an optimal time to purchase a pc. Why I believe it is a good idea to get it around june/july is because the gtx 1070 would be new at the time so I could maximize the performance of my gpu while still getting the 6700k at a stable price. I would always be waiting and I would have to stick with my hp aio for ages.

12 minutes ago, APatientGuy said:

Thank you for the lengthy response. I definitely understand what you mean, but there are also many other factors when it comes to building a pc to take into consideration. For example, by the time kaby lake comes out and the price stabilizes, black friday will come, zen will be near, and then polaris/vega gpus after, etc. Right now the pc I have is an overpriced (around $1250) hp all in one with integrated graphics I got as a gift with a dual core i5. I would not really consider it a real system, as it struggles to run even cs:go at a decent frame rate at the lowest settings, let alone AAA titles. I understand there might be a better time to purchase the pc, but there are always new major parts on the horizon. These interfere with each other which causes me to believe that there is not really an optimal time to purchase a pc. Why I believe it is a good idea to get it around june/july is because the gtx 1070 would be new at the time so I could maximize the performance of my gpu while still getting the 6700k at a stable price. I would always be waiting and I would have to stick with my hp aio for ages.

Then you aren't in the optimal upgrade the PC group, you are in the has an obsolete PC and need to replace the lot group and hence aren't as sensitive to the the way the market works and it just matters a lot less because anything new is better than nothing.

5 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

Then you aren't in the optimal upgrade the PC group, you are in the has an obsolete PC and need to replace the lot group and hence aren't as sensitive to the the way the market works and it just matters a lot less because anything new is better than nothing.

Yes exactly. Thank you for your input and information. :)

12 hours ago, APatientGuy said:

If you aren't doing rendering or other heavy cpu intensive tasks then I would stick with the 6700K. Yes broadwell-E is just around the corner, launch date and whatnot will either be announced or happen at Computex in just under two weeks. Kaby Lake could be Q3 of this year or even early Q1 of next year depending so you're still a ways off on that and if the  Broadwell-E improvements are anything to go by for Skylake to Kaby Lake you're looking at a 10%+ improvement over previous generation. If that's something you would really like to get your hands on then upgrade to maybe a 6500 or 6600 non-K sku CPU now and then when Kaby Lake comes out you should just need a BIOS update and can sell the other CPU and make the switch.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 5/22/2016 at 10:36 AM, AnnoyedShelf said:

Heard they got rid of tick-tock in favour of "Process, Architecture, Optimization" just because Moore's law is failing.

So Kaby Lake is focusing on something else?

39 minutes ago, SerialAceTU1 said:

Heard they got rid of tick-tock in favour of "Process, Architecture, Optimization" just because Moore's law is failing.

So Kaby Lake is focusing on something else?

As I said, Tick, Tock, Semi-Tock.  Process shrink, Architecture change, then either an optimization, or added features.

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler