i3 2120 + Z68 Motherboard with Windows 10?

Hey guys,

To keep things short and simple, I've been trying to install Windows 10 on a machine with an i3 2120 and an Intel DZ68DB Motherboard. After the first reboot, I can't advance through the setup process since the installation freezes at "Getting Devices Ready".

Is it possible that the CPU or Motherboard doesn't support some sort of instruction set or there's some sort of compatibility issue? I've never seen anything like this and I feel like it might be a hardware issue, since I've used the exact same ISO mounted onto the same USB stick on a different machine and everything worked flawlessly. Has anyone tried upgrading or installing Windows 10 on a Sandy Bridge i3 or a Z68 chipset motherboard?

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

You meet the minimum requirements for windows 10, and people have put it on worse machines, so I would say it could be a bad installation.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Have you updated the BIOS on the motherboard?

You're going to need drivers for the board. If Intel won't provide them, this exact thing will happen. I'd say it's just not compatible.

One thing I got hung up on was that I didn't have the "Enable Execute Disable Bit in System BIOS" enabled. (z77 mb)

Other than that I have not had any problems on Win10 installs.

In my research of this I have read where others have said

updateing the bios

removing the keyboard and mouse then reinstalling them after it is done

unzipping the drivers for the motherboard onto the installation stick and loading them during install

From what I have read this is mainly caused by an incompatible driver being auto-loaded.

Good luck