Summer Goal: learn a Programming Language ☑ What should I start with ?

whud99
11 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

Let me remind you:

Yes... You have quoted the same point again once again that you seem to be incapable of comprehending.

You can perfectly have a ane aversion towards Javascript and still have the fundamental knowledge to know why.

I don't really see anywhere where you are fielding any kind of clear argument to support your 'aversion' or why you think that it's a 'bad' language. Why then? Let's explore the details of your argument shall we?

On 28/05/2016 at 4:51 PM, Dat Guy said:

Javascript is, by far, not the best script language we have.

Javascript sucks. The fact that there is an overwhelming amount of incompatible Javascript libraries does not invalidate that.

All you are doing is compounding my point further with statements such as these. You've not provided any reasons... Thus my point:

11 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

It is indeed both the best and the worst language when applied to differing contexts! As is true of anything... Would you try to plaster a wall with a bread knife?

I don't really know how I can explain it to you any more simply than I have already done earlier:

You've missed the point completely. The point was simply 'the right tool for the right job' and if you are incapable of appreciating that fact then you are clearly inexperienced.

If you are still unable to grasp the basic premiss then I can't really help you any more. Gain some more experience, understand what it is exactly that you are trying to talk about and then return with something more substantial than subjective comments born out of ignorance perhaps...

You can perfectly have a ane aversion towards Javascript and still have the fundamental knowledge to know why. And, with all due respect, "industry relevant choices" are rarely made for technical reasons; not that "the industry" wouldn't use Pascal/Delphi or Basic anymore. Long-term projects don't change their platforms every two years. Did you know that COBOL is still a big player in the financial industry?

Again you are simply doing a bad job of regurgitating my own point:

They are in no way industry relevant choices any more - unless of course one is going to specifically support legacy code.

1 hour ago, Gachr said:

They are all completely different things, only two of them actually being frameworks.

They are indeed all completely different things. Perhaps I should have simply listed more of them to make my context that much clearer. In any event you should really get a grasp for what the term framework encompasses when it is applied in the context of software prior to attempting to be pedantic but ultimately failing due to a lack of research/understanding:

Software frameworks may include support programs, compilers, code libraries, tool sets, and application programming interfaces (APIs) that bring together all the different components to enable development of a project or solution.

This is the broad sense with which I chose to apply the term.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

3 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

I don't really see anywhere where you are fielding any kind of clear argument to support your 'aversion' or why you think that it's a 'bad' language. Why then? Let's explore the details of your argument shall we?

https://whydoesitsuck.com/why-does-javascript-suck/

Write in C.

1 hour ago, Dat Guy said:

You have linked a website that rants bout languages. That's fine but ask yourself: What does this really mean?

Do you hate the language because you've found some site that says that it's awful or do you honestly believe in those reasons yourself? Moreover do you even really understand those reasons deeply enough to be able to stand behind them?

That site also rants about C++ and moreover it's quite outdated...

I'm sure that if I tried I could also pull up some subjective websites that say why each of the languages that I work with are terrible. I could also likely counter with at least as many that say why they are awesome.

I'd be inclined not to pay too much attention to rants... Yes there are bad points but that is something that's true of all languages, especially when individual perspectives are applied or when one tries to use them in the wrong context.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I made quite some money with writing Javascript over the past couple of years. Sorry, but your obvious assumption that I copy my POV from websites is plain wrong. I was just too lazy to write all of that myself; because: why would I?

And again, please don't make the same mistake over and over again. Yes, most languages have their quirks, but no, C++ is not an alternative to Javascript.

Write in C.

22 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

And again, please don't make the same mistake over and over again. Yes, most languages have their quirks, but no, C++ is not an alternative to Javascript.

Where did that happen?

Please don't even try.

We also went quite off-topic here. The original discussion was: Javascript is nowhere near being the best scripting language. You opposed. Having stated that all languages have their quirks, you can probably tell us why e.g. Perl is worse. We're all looking forward to it! :)

Write in C.

7 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Please don't even try.

We also went quite off-topic here. The original discussion was: Javascript is nowhere near being the best scripting language. You opposed. Having stated that all languages have their quirks...

No no, please don't attempt to gas light now. You made a statement that I suggested that C++ was an alternative to JavaScript:

31 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Please show me exactly where that occurred.

7 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

...you can probably tell us why e.g. Perl is worse. We're all looking forward to it! :)

There you go once again missing that same point: There is no best or worse, there is only the context where it is applied and the experience in choosing so.

Precisely; and, among all the languages I have sufficient experience with, Javascript is the one I'd choose last for any given task.

Write in C.

2 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Precisely; and, among all the languages I have sufficient experience with, Javascript is the one I'd choose last for any given task.

So you would write an SPA with what exactly?

I wouldn't mix up a web browser and a real application in the first place. There are very good reasons why some applications are not distributed as a "website".

If I really had to, I'd probably use Parenscript which wraps the fugly JS syntax into a sane language.

Write in C.