Is my laptop just to old?

Go to solution Solved by Hamako,

The GMA950 doesn't offer hardware acceleration for videos, so all the videos are being decoded by your CPU, putting a lot of stress on it. While these Core Duo machines can still be very snappy if you equip them with a SSD and run Linux, I'd recommend to get at least a Penryn-based Core 2 Duo with GMA4500MHD, which is the first Intel GPU to support video acceleration. There are plenty of business laptops on eBay that offer this at a very low price. (something like a ThinkPad T400 will cost you about 50-150$, depending on the specs and condition)

So i have this laptop (HP Pavilion dv6700) its probably like 10 years old.
i want to know if something is wrong with it or is it just too slow because i cant seem to do anything on it besides web browsing, i cant even watch netflix on the browser, ive tried chrome firefox edge and even netflix from the windows store and they all seem to get very laggy and the fps start to lower and the image stays behind in the movies.
I Just recently formated yesterday and i thought that would be the solution but it wasnt. And it gets very hot and can become painfull to type
SPECS
Intel Pentium Dual Cpu T2390 1.86ghz
3 ram
mobile intel(R) 965 express chipset family

Basically, look at my grandma. She's old and she can't really move very well. Your computer is kind of like that.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

You could try cleaning the fan from dust and maybe doing a factory reset as a last resort but the specs are awful, just awful. But if you do a clean install of windows remember to save all important stuff to a different external hard  drive or usb flash drive etc.

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

Try cleaning your computer, and reset. If the problems continue, try seeking AS or get a new laptop. Or it might just be that you used up too much ram or whatever.

Just now, ItsMinJunLol said:

Try cleaning your computer, and reset. If the problems continue, try seeking AS or get a new laptop. Or it might just be that you used up too much ram or whatever.

I once did a teardown of a ~8 year old laptop, and IT WAS FILLED WITH DUST!!! Dust might be the major problem here.

laptopos usuallies dies out after 4-5 year so it is jesus miracle ur laptop has made thise far 4 u and still workingo. Most start to lag and become veryyy slow like a snail. I consider u buy a replacement

I     own     alienware     computer     XPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Strange.  My single core pentium M machine (1.6ghz) with 1gb of ram (from 2005)  can handle 720p video just fine.  Are you sure  hardware acceleration is enabled? 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Guys he said he formated it, so no need to reset it or anything (and by reformated it I understand did a clean installation of the system).

Yes it is old of course and thus slow. Still you can try cleaning it (physically, ie disassembling it and cleaning all the dust, and maybe replacing the thermal compound). Is it worth the trouble is your decision to make though.

2 minutes ago, DarkRuskov said:

Guys he said he formated it, so no need to reset it or anything (and by reformated it I understand did a clean installation of the system).

Ah I totally missed that. I often read between lines :P but there isn't much else to do than clean dust and replace thermal paste. Are you  Chaicho  using CCleaner or something like that its worth a try.

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

ok guys thanks i will try to clean the hardware see if that helps and if not than well rip

The GMA950 doesn't offer hardware acceleration for videos, so all the videos are being decoded by your CPU, putting a lot of stress on it. While these Core Duo machines can still be very snappy if you equip them with a SSD and run Linux, I'd recommend to get at least a Penryn-based Core 2 Duo with GMA4500MHD, which is the first Intel GPU to support video acceleration. There are plenty of business laptops on eBay that offer this at a very low price. (something like a ThinkPad T400 will cost you about 50-150$, depending on the specs and condition)

8 minutes ago, Hamako said:

Good thing that you did this, I am too lazy to type all of that :D 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.