Half life 3 thoughts

JORDANonPC

So this topic is just to ask what people think about the idea of it, I have never played any of the half life games personally but I can't help but think that there is no way valve could pull it off since there seems to be way too much hype about it that nothing will be good enough for the fans and from what I've heard half life was only good for it's time and I don't really see a half life 3 adding anything fresh to the gaming industry but hey I could be way off here I was just wondering if anyone else shared my skepticism about half life 3 

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

BUT GRAVITY GUN IS LIKE SOUPER ORIGINAL xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I agree, what the hell will half life 3 add to the mess of FPS games there are nowadays

It will provide quality, which sadly IS fresh in the gaming industry right now.

I would disagree strongly that it was only good in it's day, you should play Half Life 2 and you will discover it's a unique experience, it's the way the event pacing and environment interaction/level design work that holds the appeal to me, the pacing makes it very immersive.

So this topic is just to ask what people think about the idea of it, I have never played any of the half life games personally but I can't help but think that there is no way valve could pull it off since there seems to be way too much hype about it that nothing will be good enough for the fans and from what I've heard half life was only good for it's time and I don't really see a half life 3 adding anything fresh to the gaming industry but hey I could be way off here I was just wondering if anyone else shared my skepticism about half life 3 

The notion that "Half Life is only good for it's time" is absurd, and in my opinion, incorrect. I've played the original Half Life many times, and I've played Half Life 2 (Plus episodes) at least a dozen times over. Yeah the vehicle mechanics in Half Life 2 weren't so good, but it got better with each iteration, until in HL2: Episode 2, the mechanics of driving the car were much better.

The basic run-and-gun shooting mechanics of HL2 were, and still are, quite solid. No aim-down your sights, but that's not a bad thing since this is more of an "action" game that is supposed to be faster paced then the likes of Modern Warfare and Battlefield. You're supposed to be constantly moving and running around while shooting.

I for one, am solidly looking forward to Half-Life 3. Will it be the best game of all time? Maybe. But I'm counting on it being a solid story that concludes or continues the saga. Telling a fantastic story is the core of the Half-Life series. Half-Life 2 (And eps) are a very cinematic experience.

It doesn't need to innovate to be a good game. Just give me a solid story and solid mechanics, and I'm sold.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It will provide quality, which sadly IS fresh in the gaming industry right now.

I would disagree strongly that it was only good in it's day, you should play Half Life 2 and you will discover it's a unique experience, it's the way the event pacing and environment interaction/level design work that holds the appeal to me, the pacing makes it very immersive.

The notion that "Half Life is only good for it's time" is absurd, and in my opinion, incorrect. I've played the original Half Life many times, and I've played Half Life 2 (Plus episodes) at least a dozen times over. Yeah the vehicle mechanics in Half Life 2 weren't so good, but it got better with each iteration, until in HL2: Episode 2, the mechanics of driving the car were much better.

The basic run-and-gun shooting mechanics of HL2 were, and still are, quite solid. No aim-down your sights, but that's not a bad thing since this is more of an "action" game that is supposed to be faster paced then the likes of Modern Warfare and Battlefield. You're supposed to be constantly moving and running around while shooting.

I for one, am solidly looking forward to Half-Life 3. Will it be the best game of all time? Maybe. But I'm counting on it being a solid story that concludes or continues the saga. Telling a fantastic story is the core of the Half-Life series. Half-Life 2 (And eps) are a very cinematic experience.

It doesn't need to innovate to be a good game. Just give me a solid story and solid mechanics, and I'm sold.

I see people always saying how older games are better and the thing is I've tried playing some older games before and found them boring even games I used to love and I feel like people have too much nostalgia when it comes to games a prime example of this would be people saying how amazing morrowind is the be all and end all of games and has no flaws when in fact it had many

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

I agree, what the hell will half life 3 add to the mess of FPS games there are nowadays

Why does it need to add anything at all? New and/or innovative elements aren't required for a kickass game.

Yeah, some people will be disappointed with it not living up to their unrealistic expectations. Some will compare it to Duke Nukem Forever. There's a big difference though. Duke Nukem Forever isn't objectively a good game. If Half-Life 3 is somehow THAT BAD then yes, it deserves to be ground to dust under scrutiny.

I see people always saying how older games are better and the thing is I've tried playing some older games before and found them boring even games I used to love and I feel like people have too much nostalgia when it comes to games a prime example of this would be people saying how amazing morrowind is the be all and end all of games and has no flaws when in fact it had many

The difference between the faux nostalgia experience of enjoyment and this, is that I've played Half-Life 2 (and eps) recently again. And they are still good. Period.

Yeah some mechanics are a bit dated (The hovercraft in HL2, drives like a drunken horse), and the graphics are a bit old (Though still kickass for a game that is basically 10 years old). But overall the game and its expansions are still kickass. The gun fighting still feels amazing and fun. The story is still incredibly immersive, and is still one the single greatest cinematic yet engaging and interactive stories of any game I've ever seen.

It's true that Nostalgia can have a big impact of perceived game quality, and many people nostalgiacly remember games from their past that don't hold up anymore, but I strongly believe Half Life 2 isn't one of them.

Also look at Black Mesa (The free HL1 remake), which leaves most of the gameplay mechanics alone (Except you jump a little less high, forcing you to crouch jump often). The biggest change is just updated graphics, textures, etc. All the original levels are remade as close as possible with very few changes or tweaks. This is an example of what Half Life 3 could be like (But, even better, since it'll have the resources of Valve, and not just a bunch of very talented developers doing this for free in their spare time).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Why does it need to add anything at all? New and/or innovative elements aren't required for a kickass game.

Yeah, some people will be disappointed with it not living up to their unrealistic expectations. Some will compare it to Duke Nukem Forever. There's a big difference though. Duke Nukem Forever isn't objectively a good game. If Half-Life 3 is somehow THAT BAD then yes, it deserves to be ground to dust under scrutiny.

my point is that there needs to be some difference in a market where it's over saturated with FPS games, you need to differentiate yourself to ever be remembered... Although the ending might make it up for that

The difference between the faux nostalgia experience of enjoyment and this, is that I've played Half-Life 2 (and eps) recently again. And they are still good. Period.

Yeah some mechanics are a bit dated (The hovercraft in HL2, drives like a drunken horse), and the graphics are a bit old (Though still kickass for a game that is basically 10 years old). But overall the game and its expansions are still kickass. The gun fighting still feels amazing and fun. The story is still incredibly immersive, and is still one the single greatest cinematic yet engaging and interactive stories of any game I've ever seen.

It's true that Nostalgia can have a big impact of perceived game quality, and many people nostalgiacly remember games from their past that don't hold up anymore, but I strongly believe Half Life 2 isn't one of them.

Also look at Black Mesa (The free HL1 remake), which leaves most of the gameplay mechanics alone (Except you jump a little less high, forcing you to crouch jump often). The biggest change is just updated graphics, textures, etc. All the original levels are remade as close as possible with very few changes or tweaks. This is an example of what Half Life 3 could be like (But, even better, since it'll have the resources of Valve, and not just a bunch of very talented developers doing this for free in their spare time).

Was actually thinking of comparing it to duke nukem but thought it was too much of a different scenario, like I said I haven't played half life but nothing has ever made me want to if the third one does come out and looks good I will buy it and read up on the half life plot so that I can follow the game I'm just skeptical about these really anticipated games and have feeling if it is released then it will either be called the best game ever when it does't deserve it just because fans of the series hyped it up so much or it will be considered a disappointing game that couldn't live up to expectations, this is what I would expect to happen but if valve release a half life 3 I hope it is as great as everyone wants it to be personally all I want is a portal 3 and maybe some more cross over between the two

Was actually thinking of comparing it to duke nukem but thought it was too much of a different scenario, like I said I haven't played half life but nothing has ever made me want to if the third one does come out and looks good I will buy it and read up on the half life plot so that I can follow the game I'm just skeptical about these really anticipated games and have feeling if it is released then it will either be called the best game ever when it does't deserve it just because fans of the series hyped it up so much or it will be considered a disappointing game that couldn't live up to expectations, this is what I would expect to happen but if valve release a half life 3 I hope it is as great as everyone wants it to be personally all I want is a portal 3 and maybe some more cross over between the two

Well the expected plot of HL3 will include at least some crossover between the two. It's already established that they take place in the same in-game universe. HL2:Ep 2 ended with Gordon Freeman about to head out in search of the Borealis, which is an Aperture Science research vessel that disappeared under mysterious circumstances. You can actually see part of the Borealis drydock in Portal 2.

The story goes that Aperture Science was under pressure to keep up with Black Mesa and secure more funding, so they started breaking or circumventing safety standards to push research ahead faster. As you can see in Portal 1 & 2, this policy didn't go over so well. For some unknown reason, possibly because of unsafe research, the ship disappeared, along with part of the drydock it was resting in.

See the wiki entry for more details on it: http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Borealis

Well the expected plot of HL3 will include at least some crossover between the two. It's already established that they take place in the same in-game universe. HL2:Ep 2 ended with Gordon Freeman about to head out in search of the Borealis, which is an Aperture Science research vessel that disappeared under mysterious circumstances. You can actually see part of the Borealis drydock in Portal 2.

The story goes that Aperture Science was under pressure to keep up with Black Mesa and secure more funding, so they started breaking or circumventing safety standards to push research ahead faster. As you can see in Portal 1 & 2, this policy didn't go over so well. For some unknown reason, possibly because of unsafe research, the ship disappeared, along with part of the drydock it was resting in.

See the wiki entry for more details on it: http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Borealis

yeah I know details about that from playing portal and reading some backstory, I fell in love with portal as soon as I played it due to how entertaining the characters and universe are so that's what I'm looking forward too, anyway we're going a bit off topic now :P

I think hl3 will be rather good if it ever comes out but i see far more hype for hl2 e3 then hl3 i tend to assume that hl2 e2 left off in the middle of the story but i don't know as i have only just started to play hl2 e1 as i got it in the steam sale. I think the big thing about hl3 is based on the last few games and engines it is assumed it will bring a new game engine with it as well. That could lead to portal 3, tf3, l4d3 which would be 4 games that people would want to play altogether not just hl3. 

I think the reason people can be over nostalgic is because at the times those games came out there was a certain 'wow' factor because the mechanics that work really well and are re-used to death today were just appearing for the first time back then. And people look back to that experience of playing something genuinely new to them, that had new innovations and content.

Now those mechanics and techniques have been emulated and are commonplace, going back to those original games doesn't give you that 'wow' factor any more, because you've already exerienced the then revolutionary concepts many times already in newer games that build upon those original ideas or gameplay mechanics/methods of storytelling.

Half Life, Half Life 2 and the Source engine had that unique brand of 'Flush you out of your hole' pacing during gameplay that gave you very brief periods of safety and storytelling in between longer times of having to think fast on your feet, fight enemies and experience the tensions of being chased through a level you had to manipulate in order to move down the path that was not always immediately apparent before you looked around a bit.

All the while maintaining the air of mystery concerning the story, and the drive to move forward to find the next part.

The sounds in Half Life games are quite iconic too, the sounds of health filling, clipping (pickups) or the mutterings of Combine soldiers really stick in the mind, random appearances of the G-Man ect.

A prime example of newer games building on the fundamental mechanics of it's older prequels is The Elder Scrolls, if you play Skyrim and then go back to Morrowind, you will say "Damn, this game is a step backward, I don't know what everyone is talking about saying this is the best game ect" If you played it when it was new, the things that have now been brought forward and repeated would be fresh and captivating.

I believe it is the memory of enjoyment of the FRESHNESS people experienced when playing some of the older games they still rave about for the first time that causes the faux nostalgia, rather than the nostalgia rooting 100% from the game itself.

Some games however, are still good to play now despite their age, Half Life is in my opinion one such series.

Take modern shooters now, you have a regenerating health mechanic in most of them, what does it force you to keep doing? It forces you to keep stopping and waiting for health to regenerate rather than pressing on clinging on to what skill and tactics you have to find a health pickup, if you stay put you'll be shot where you stand and progress no further, hiding behind a piece of cover for a few seconds won't help you to proceed, you must fight onward, and doing so immediately is what makes the pace more intense and more fun, it doesn't keep breaking up the action but allows it to flow.

Half Life games nail this very well, and that's why I enjoy them so much.

I love seeing posts like this from (and please take no offence as its not intended here) 17 year olds who have comparative not played that many games. What I see here is someone who cannot separate graphic quality with gameplay and the reality is that if you cannot separate those two you are missing out on so many amazing games. 

I mean you mention the perfect game there in your post, Morrowind. Morrowind sold over 4 million copies and is still selling and still have a vibrant community around it, no matter what way you look at that this game was a success. Is the game graphically old and dated? Yes, can mods improve that? Yes, does it look like a modern game? No. Is Morrowind perfect? No, by no stretch of the imagination. As an example, the game is imminently breakable if you know how to play, but regardless I am currently replaying the game right now. Along side of Abe's Oddesee, another great game. 

A lot of games are dumbed down, like it or not they are. Back in the "old days" we did not have "fancy graphics" to impress everyone so devs used challenge and to great effect. One of the few modern games that I personally feel is touching on that is the Witcher series. The reality is that there is no real challenge to be found in, as examples, the COD series, BF series, Halo series and so on. Why do you think that Half Life, Unreal Tournament, Golden Eye, Doom, Portal are considered some of the best first person shooters ever made? Do you honestly think that these games come up over and over again for no reason? When you start to look at game mechanics, level design, story and other things like that you start to see how bad some games are and how good other games are.

Especially if you have not tried them, please try some of the games in the HL series and some other original shooters, if for no other reason then perspective.

How can it not add to what is out there right now? Over saturated yes, but with what? No challenges, all style with no substance, spoon feeding mechanics that lock you down so much that unless you exactly do what the game wants you to do and how it wants you to do it you cant progress. I watched a video a while ago about a youtuber talking about the mechanics in a brown shooter and there was a spot where as long as he did what he was supposed to he could stand in the open and never be killed but taking 2 or 3 steps in the wrong direction killed him every time. Up until he did one thing and then he could progress. And he could also not go back (I looked for this video for a while but was unable to find it sorry) any way, you get the point.

What can HL3 add? Possibly an interesting story, interesting game play mechanics, interesting, thoughtful and dynamic level design and something reliable. Also a base where the modding community can get their teeth stuck into again. Some of the best games ever game out mods from HL

So in short, potentially a lot. There is also the issue that the pressure would be on like Donkey Kong (oh and PS, where do you think that saying comes from? It is there cause Donkey Kong was so challenging ...queue the person that is going to correct me on that one :D)

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I love seeing posts like this from (and please take no offence as its not intended here) 17 year olds who have comparative not played that many games. What I see here is someone who cannot separate graphic quality with gameplay and the reality is that if you cannot separate those two you are missing out on so many amazing games. 

I mean you mention the perfect game there in your post, Morrowind. Morrowind sold over 4 million copies and is still selling and still have a vibrant community around it, no matter what way you look at that this game was a success. Is the game graphically old and dated? Yes, can mods improve that? Yes, does it look like a modern game? No. Is Morrowind perfect? No, by no stretch of the imagination. As an example, the game is imminently breakable if you know how to play, but regardless I am currently replaying the game right now. Along side of Abe's Oddesee, another great game. 

A lot of games are dumbed down, like it or not they are. Back in the "old days" we did not have "fancy graphics" to impress everyone so devs used challenge and to great effect. One of the few modern games that I personally feel is touching on that is the Witcher series. The reality is that there is no real challenge to be found in, as examples, the COD series, BF series, Halo series and so on. Why do you think that Half Life, Unreal Tournament, Golden Eye, Doom, Portal are considered some of the best first person shooters ever made? Do you honestly think that these games come up over and over again for no reason? When you start to look at game mechanics, level design, story and other things like that you start to see how bad some games are and how good other games are.

Especially if you have not tried them, please try some of the games in the HL series and some other original shooters, if for no other reason then perspective.

I don't play games for graphics and at no point did I say that's why I don't like some older games, the topic was nothing to do with graphics it was to do with the fact that in my opinion games are getting better despite what most people say and don't get me wrong I do see dumbing down and hand holding which does irritate me but overall I see better games now than 5 years ago and I don't just mean graphics wise again this is just opinion though and I think many older games were only seen as amazing because when they were released they added something new and right now I don't see half life 3 being able to do something so well it will live up to hype

Also I can't stand it when people bring age into it especially the way you did saying that  all I cared about was graphics just because I'm younger when at no point did I ever say that graphics were important to me, I really get annoyed when people bring age up for no reason and don't see why you went on my profile to see my age it just makes me want to not ever mention age because I've seen younger members treat differently because they haven't been around as long and saying no offense doesn't stop offense being taken 

Also I can't stand it when people bring age into it especially the way you did saying that  all I cared about was graphics just because I'm younger when at no point did I ever say that graphics were important to me, I really get annoyed when people bring age up for no reason and don't see why you went on my profile to see my age it just makes me want to not ever mention age because I've seen younger members treat differently because they haven't been around as long and saying no offense doesn't stop offense being taken

You are right, while I did not mean it to offend (and I actually really mean that, genuinely) I can see how you might take offence. However, you are going to have to take your lumps like every other person at your age. Just like me and everyone else on this forum and in the world. Its the way life is man. That not withstanding, I apologise.

I don't play games for graphics and at no point did I say that's why I don't like some older games, the topic was nothing to do with graphics it was to do with the fact that in my opinion games are getting better despite what most people say and don't get me wrong I do see dumbing down and hand holding which does irritate me but overall I see better games now than 5 years ago and I don't just mean graphics wise again this is just opinion though and I think many older games were only seen as amazing because when they were released they added something new and right now I don't see half life 3 being able to do something so well it will live up to hype

Regarding this though, make statements like "people always saying how older games", "the thing is I've tried playing some older games before" and "people have too much nostalgia" and to me it screams I am young and no matter what the old farts say the old games are all shit and newer games are better and because I've played some games I know what I am talking about. I am not saying that is what you were saying I am just saying that is what I picked up from it.

Regarding the nostalgia thing, yes there are tonnes of people who preach that older games are better and by in large they are not correct. Were there more games of quality game play, mechanics, level design and so on back before... lets say the PS2 era? Yes, there were more but they were making more games tbh. Most popular games were popular because they were good, they had longevity and a quality that is lacking from some games today. The change now a days is, or at least imho, that most of the popular games are total tripe. Look at iPad games, Facebook games and so on. Look at the AAA industry, Maden series, Fifa, Kinect Adventures, Just Dance, these are some of the most purchased games around and they are just watered down versions of the original with minor features, skins and other small changes. And then you have the Call of Duty, Battlefield, the new games in the Assassin & Halo series and so on and they are just pumping them out with no consideration for quality tbh. Dont get me wrong, those last ones are mostly good games but they are not quality, not the kind of quality you expect to get from what you pay for. Look as Assassin's Creed, 1 game a year?? Are you freakin' kidding me?!!!

Yes there is waaay to much nostalgia with some of the older games and there will always be fanboys but some of the best games I have ever played, some of the games that gave me the most enjoyment for the longest period of time were older games and I am not alone in this. Were they perfect? No, were they without flaws, bugs or issues? Nope but they ALL worked, consistently and reliably

Unfortunately you cannot dismiss "older games" with the sweep of a hand, especially if you have not played that many of them.

I genuinely urge you to try some, ask around, you will find a tonne of older games that you will find good/amazing. Oh and the HL series is in there :)

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

You are right, while I did not mean it to offend (and I actually really mean that, genuinely) I can see how you might take offence. However, you are going to have to take your lumps like every other person at your age. Just like me and everyone else on this forum and in the world. Its the way life is man. That not withstanding, I apologise.

Regarding this though, make statements like "people always saying how older games", "the thing is I've tried playing some older games before" and "people have too much nostalgia" and to me it screams I am young and no matter what the old farts say the old games are all shit and newer games are better and because I've played some games I know what I am talking about. I am not saying that is what you were saying I am just saying that is what I picked up from it.

Regarding the nostalgia thing, yes there are tonnes of people who preach that older games are better and by in large they are not correct. Were there more games of quality game play, mechanics, level design and so on back before... lets say the PS2 era? Yes, there were more but they were making more games tbh. Most popular games were popular because they were good, they had longevity and a quality that is lacking from some games today. The change now a days is, or at least imho, that most of the popular games are total tripe. Look at iPad games, Facebook games and so on. Look at the AAA industry, Maden series, Fifa, Kinect Adventures, Just Dance, these are some of the most purchased games around and they are just watered down versions of the original with minor features, skins and other small changes. And then you have the Call of Duty, Battlefield, the new games in the Assassin & Halo series and so on and they are just pumping them out with no consideration for quality tbh. Dont get me wrong, those last ones are mostly good games but they are not quality, not the kind of quality you expect to get from what you pay for. Look as Assassin's Creed, 1 game a year?? Are you freakin' kidding me?!!!

Yes there is waaay to much nostalgia with some of the older games and there will always be fanboys but some of the best games I have ever played, some of the games that gave me the most enjoyment for the longest period of time were older games and I am not alone in this. Were they perfect? No, were they without flaws, bugs or issues? Nope but they ALL worked, consistently and reliably

Unfortunately you cannot dismiss "older games" with the sweep of a hand, especially if you have not played that many of them.

I genuinely urge you to try some, ask around, you will find a tonne of older games that you will find good/amazing. Oh and the HL series is in there :)

I agree with you in many things and although you are twice my age I too had more fun playing games when I was younger but I feel like this was because back then gaming was newer (obviously it was way newer when you were younger) and I feel like there was more exciting new things to be done, just for the record the most fun I've had playing a game is on monster attack at a friends in split screen and I've been back to it before and didn't enjoy it all which was really disappointing, a game I really want to go back and play is the original spyro since I doubt that could ever not be fun, also I want to make it really clear i have no issue with older games I just can't imagine hl3 living up to the unrealistic expectation of most of the community :) on the age subject sorry if I seem touchy it just feels like a few of the forum members talk down to younger members and although this is only the second time someone has brought up my age I have seen some people my age get insulted a fair bit on a comment just for being younger and I understand that is how society is and it annoys me even more in the real world when "grown ups" act immature and talk down to people and even threaten them for acting cocky when they are the ones being arrogant, just to be clear though a lot of people are much worse and make me understand why sometimes age creates a barrier between people I just feel like the internet is a great place for allowing people of all ages to be equal in a sense and maybe it's my fault for putting my age on the forum, just for the record though I'm not saying you were trying to talk down to me it's just what i presume when I read any comment regarding age anyway i'm going way off topic here :P

I agree with you in many things and although you are twice my age I too had more fun playing games when I was younger but I feel like this was because back then gaming was newer (obviously it was way newer when you were younger) and I feel like there was more exciting new things to be done, just for the record the most fun I've had playing a game is on monster attack at a friends in split screen and I've been back to it before and didn't enjoy it all which was really disappointing, a game I really want to go back and play is the original spyro since I doubt that could ever not be fun, also I want to make it really clear i have no issue with older games I just can't imagine hl3 living up to the unrealistic expectation of most of the community 

I dont think that applies to, well me at least, tbh my best time gaming were not at the start, when it comes to PC its games in the late 90's or 00's tbh. Don't get me wrong, I love games and I thoroughly enjoy them now but games that life up to my expectations are rare now a days. 

Spyro is a great game and still is. Yes you will come across games that you thought were amazing and you go back and they are a disappointment. Currently I am dreading replaying The Thief series as I am very fond of them. However you will also find that some games were very solid and stand the test of time. But just because a game does not stand the test of time does not mean it was not, or is not, great.

"I just can't imagine hl3 living up to the unrealistic expectation of most of the community" As for this? There is not a chance in hell that they can manage it tbh and its probably why we have not seen it. It probably got to the point that they would need to rebuild a whole new engine and even at that they would not have been able to live up to the hype. And as time has gone on its only gotten worse. 

Would I love to see a HL3 game knowing all this, hells yea, cause there is a chance and I trust Valve so at least it will be good, maybe not great but at least it will be good

btw, sorry but I meant to post this earlier but I've been away at a wedding all weekend (stupid in-laws making me miss the WAN show and steam announcements)

Half Life one was redone by the community and it looks great and it is free btw, have a go

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

PS: Talking about it made me install it and I discovered its not as simply as downloading and installing whats there, there is another step so to make life easier here is a guide (oh and its not complicated, this is just for the super lazy who might be discouraged, thats all)

http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/Installation_Manual

PSS: If it does not show up on Steam after doing that restart steam

PSSS: Quick guide for the ultra lazy. 1) Install steam, 2) Install HL SDK 3) Install Black Mesa and 4) Restart Steam and play away

Edited by Ethnod

btw, sorry but I meant to post this earlier but I've been away at a wedding all weekend (stupid in-laws making me miss the WAN show and steam announcements)

Half Life one was redone by the community and it looks great and it is free btw, have a go

Great Game/Mod, and the soundtrack is simply amazing.

I don't really see a half life 3 adding anything fresh to the gaming industry but hey I could be way off here I was just wondering if anyone else shared my skepticism about half life 3 

This is probably the reason Valve has not released it. They could certainly put out a top quality AAA game. But they probably want to do more than that; they want to put out something which is innovative like HL1 and HL2 were.

The thing about Valve is that they have a ridiculous amount of money rolling in thanks to Steam. So unlike other developers they are under absolutely no financial pressure to sell games. They can afford to go back to the drawing board over and over again until they are satisfied with it. They are also a private company and they have no shareholders or publisher putting pressure on them to release more games.

I look to HL for good quality games, they don't need to innovate and introduce fresh things to tick all the boxes, they need to have good quality in what they do. To me, the mechanics are vital, not a lot of games excell in this. ID tends to do a lot of this stuff very well too.

PS: Talking about it made me install it and I discovered its not as simply as downloading and installing whats there, there is another step so to make life easier here is a guide (oh and its not complicated, this is just for the super lazy who might be discouraged, thats all)

http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/Installation_Manual

PSS: If it does not show up on Steam after doing that restart steam

PSSS: Quick guide for the ultra lazy. 1) Install steam, 2) Install HL SDK 3) Install Black Mesa and 4) Restart Steam and play away

I may give it a go hl2 just doesn't seem like a game i would enjoy though, I may be wrong though since I thought fc3 looked boring but I had a lot of fun in that game 

Half Life 3 does have a lot of hype and will have to do a lot in order to live up to it's name but in all honesty it's more than possible as knowing Valve, amazing things come from them.

In all honesty, I think that HL3 probably IS in production currently though Valve are trying to keep it a secret in order to surprise gamers. I mean they clearly have the resources so why aren't they? It's a game that every gamer on the planet wants.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Half Life 3 does have a lot of hype and will have to do a lot in order to live up to it's name but in all honesty it's more than possible as knowing Valve, amazing things come from them.

In all honesty, I think that HL3 probably IS in production currently though Valve are trying to keep it a secret in order to surprise gamers. I mean they clearly have the resources so why aren't they? It's a game that every gamer on the planet wants.

that's a pretty broad statement personally I'm not fussed and no console gamers care

I really kind of hope they just finish Half-Life 3 (To their very high standards of course), and just make an announcement:

"Oh yeah, Half-Life 3 is done, it'll be out in 3 weeks" or something. Give almost NO warning. I'd say give no warning at all, but we need a little marketing at least.