GTX 1070 vs R9 390/x

Basically exactly what the title says. Should I get an R9 390/x or wait a month for the GTX 1070. Knowing that Nvidia has terrible drivers and AMD has good drivers. Power consumption is not an issue, I just want a GPU with the best FPS per dollar

2 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

Basically exactly what the title says. Should I get an R9 390/x or wait a month for the GTX 1070. Knowing that Nvidia has terrible drivers and AMD has good drivers. Power consumption is not an issue, I just want a GPU with the best FPS per dollar

Wait until benchmarks come out. Or even wait for Polaris.

Just now, UnjoGratis said:

Polaris is aimed at higher end notebooks and consoles. I am not currently looking at Polaris and don't plan on doing so.

1 minute ago, UnjoGratis said:

Also, according to my guess from GTX 1080 benchmarks, the 1070 should be fairly decent.

1 minute ago, jkeasley said:

Polaris is aimed at higher end notebooks and consoles. I am not currently looking at Polaris and don't plan on doing so.

What resolution are you playing at?

2 minutes ago, UnjoGratis said:

What resolution are you playing at?

1080p

6 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

How does Nvidia have bad drivers? If anything they have better drivers considering they have a higher market share and they have gameworks so they are closer to developers than AMD is.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

7 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

Out for a bit of trolling I see.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, C1intFunWood said:

How does Nvidia have bad drivers? If anything they have better drivers considering they have a higher market share and they have gameworks so they are closer to developers than AMD is.

My friend always has a lot of good news in regards to terrible drivers on the green side. Then, I have used them and they are not very noob friendly/user friendly in that case

Gameworks has got nothing to do with anything, in my opinion, it should be called gimpworks.

Also, higher market share means nothing. AMD have godly drivers which are easy to navigate and easy to use

dude the 390x is a monster. But if you could swing it I would recommend a fury or nano for around 500ish. At the same time the 1070 is also going to be a monster, with the one benefit being only a 150 watt tdp.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Out for a bit of trolling I see.

No, I wasnt kidding, read my other comment

No, I wasnt kidding, read my other comment

I've used both companies drivers over the last 6 months, both have good days and bad days. I'd give an extremely slight edge to Nvidia.

Do yourself and everyone around you a favor and ether get a 390x or wait for Polaris 10. You're biased so no matter what Nvidia does you'll blame any and every problem you have on them, which is not going to give you a very good experience.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

I've used both companies drivers over the last 6 months, both have good days and bad days. I'd give an extremely slight edge to Nvidia.

Do yourself and everyone around you a favor and ether get a 390x or wait for Polaris 10. You're biased so no matter what Nvidia does you'll blame any and every problem you have on them, which is not going to give you a very good experience.

im not biased, im just restating what my friend has said to me. I have not said a thing about the actual graphics cards (which I'll have you know that I wanted to get the GTX 1080). I have only said stuff about drivers. SO STOP BEING A SALTY NECKBEARD AND GET OFF THIS THREAD

7 minutes ago, The Elder Smurf said:

dude the 390x is a monster. But if you could swing it I would recommend a fury or nano for around 500ish. At the same time the 1070 is also going to be a monster, with the one benefit being only a 150 watt tdp.

Nah, I live in Australia so the nano is around $700 and so is the fury

im not biased, im just restating what my friend has said to me. I have not said a thing about the actual graphics cards (which I'll have you know that I wanted to get the GTX 1080). I have only said stuff about drivers. SO STOP BEING A SALTY NECKBEARD AND GET OFF THIS THREAD

So your friend is somehow imbued with the power to speak for all Nvidia owners, and I'm the salty one.

This is easy, get the AMD card. You're ether right that Nvidia drivers suck and should therefore buy AMD, or trolling.

Just now, App4that said:

So your friend is somehow imbued with the power to speak for all Nvidia owners, and I'm the salty one.

This is easy, get the AMD card. You're ether right that Nvidia drivers suck and should therefore buy AMD, or trolling.

No, go away, I don't want you here.

Just now, jkeasley said:

Then why post that Nvidia drivers suck?

Just because your friend has issue with drivers doesn't mean everyone will like me I've never had issues with Nvidia drivers.

3 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

Nah, I live in Australia so the nano is around $700 and so is the fury

Well then. I would get a 390x in like 3 weeks as the used ones will hit the market and price drops will happen. If polaris delivers than that will be the better option

What's funny is I've had two friends who thought they had driver issues, and it turned out to be a windows update. One AMD and one Nvidia.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

What's funny is I've had two friends who thought they had driver issues, and it turned out to be a windows update. One AMD and one Nvidia.

dude windows update bends everyone over

24 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

Knowing that Nvidia has terrible drivers and AMD has good drivers.

This claim is absurd and unsubstantiated. Don't expect not to get challenged for such obviously biased statements.

Not sure if srs...there's so much wrong that I don't even know where to start.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Just because one of your friends has this problem doesnt mean it drivers fault ... there are plenty of people out there including me who has no problem with drivers by AMD or Nvidia. In most cause Nvida drivers are more optimizes for new game releases compare to AMD. Your statement is really basis and has little to no evidence .. 

1 hour ago, SSL said:

Don't expect not to get challenged for such obviously biased statements.

Magical Pineapples

On 5/20/2016 at 1:13 PM, RZeroX said:

Just because your friend has issue with drivers doesn't mean everyone will like me I've never had issues with Nvidia drivers.

Fair enough, but I have had experience with their drivers and the navigation of them is very hard