help with something basic, regarding liquid and air fans

zdemigod

planning to build my first gaming pc in a few months, after i get everything planned out. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/r9kxZL (my planned build with the gtx 1080) just in case.

starting info 

i have read about the fans and its sizes and the cases and etc etc, the only thing that i have not really nailed down is the fact that some people specify their fans will be for "exhaust" 

so i infer from that, that there are two ways to put a fan into the pc, to take air in and to take air out. (just guessing) so i ask.

here are the questions 

is there two ways to install a fan? 

- assuming the first question is true, how many fans should i install to take air out and how many should i put to take air in? (lets assume i have the corsair h110 gtx) which is a liquid cooler with 280 mm, and two air 120mm fans and no overclock) so 2 fans and one liquid cooler.

2 minutes ago, zdemigod said:

planning to build my first gaming pc in a few months, after i get everything planned out. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/r9kxZL (my planned build with the gtx 1080) just in case.

starting info 

i have read about the fans and its sizes and the cases and etc etc, the only thing that i have not really nailed down is the fact that some people specify their fans will be for "exhaust" 

so i infer from that, that there are two ways to put a fan into the pc, to take air in and to take air out. (just guessing) so i ask.

here are the questions 

- assuming the first question is true, how many fans should i install to take air out and how many should i put to take air in? (lets assume i have the corsair h110 gtx) which is a liquid cooler with 280 mm, and two air 120mm fans and no overclock) so 2 fans and one liquid cooler.

Yes. There are two ways to install a fan. To take in air and push out air. For my setup, I have 3 fans in the front taking in air and the remaining 3 (two top, 1 exhaust) pushing out air. In total, I have 6 fans. Now you don't need to install all fans in the case. Doing so will probably cause your PC to be loud as hell, depending on the fan but airflow will be great (also depending on the case interior obstructions). Only putting a few fans decreases airflow but is quieter. 

For your H110 GTX, I'd recommend having air being pushed out like I do. 

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

5 minutes ago, zdemigod said:

starting info 

here are the questions 

A few notes:

Get the H110i V2 instead of the GTX. The GTX has a louder and less efficient pump

Get the Corsair SP120MM fans for the radiator. You can get the LED version if you like

If you have 2 exhaust fans (attached to the rad), have 3 intake

Mount the fans to PULL air through the radiator

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

wait so then the liquid cooling radiator dont have the fans included?  

and will get the H110i GT  instead then (or you mean the H100i V2?)

5 hours ago, zdemigod said:

wait so then the liquid cooling radiator dont have the fans included?  

and will get the H110i GT  instead then (or you mean the H100i V2?)

If you buy custom water cooling stuff, you will need to buy fans too. But all AIOs have fans included. Now debate is whether those fans are good in performance vs noise or not.

As for placing fans. Size refers to fan size measured from corner to corner along the side. Common fan sizes are 80mm, 92mm, 120mm, 140mm and 200mm. Rads use either 120mm or 140mm fans. Two of them means either 240mm or 280mm. The way fan works, air comes in from one side and goes out from another. There are arrows pointing this direction in fans frame. But you can use common sense, since air always comes out from side where cross-frame is. So you can use any fan as intake or exhaust. Plus the thing about rads and heatsinks where you can have push or pull.

In your OP you mention H110 GTX. It indeed is 280mm AIO but doesn't come with 120mm fans. Instead fans are 140mm. You should place that as exhaust on top of case. Case comes with 2 fans, 120mm at rear (exhaust by default) and 200mm at front (intake by default). You are fine leaving front as is and placing rad on top. If you feel you could do with some more airflow, get 1 140mm fan and place two of them (take included off rear) at front as intakes.

Here's LTT video to give some more guidance:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Fans only move in one direction, but most (there are a few exceptions - but they are older) are threaded on either side, so can be mounted facing in either direction , so can move air either into or out of the case.

Search Linus' videos for ones on positive or negative air pressure for some additional thought.  Also look at his video on static pressure and airflow.

My own personal recommendations are:  

A.  If your intakes are filtered then positive pressure is a good thing.

B.  In general more fans, running slower, will move more air and provide better cooling than fewer fans running at higher speeds.  The sound level will also be lower.

So, with your specific case, and assuming you have the money (because a lot of fans - even moderately priced ones - is never cheap) my suggestion would be:

1.  Lose the 200 mm front fan, and replace it with two  140 mm fans with a good SP rating (> 1 mmHg)  run them as intakes

2.  Add one same/similar 140 mm fan as side intake

3.  Run that 280 mm AiO as top exhaust

4.  Keep the rear fan as exhaust

5.  If you want to go hog wild add two 120 mm fans (again, with decent SP) as bottom intake.  Yes that is a lot of intakes, but that will keep air moving from front bottom to top rear in a consistent manner.  It also means all the air entering the case will be fresh cool filtered air.

6.  Attach all fans (EXCEPT the AiO fans) to the fan hub in some logical manner.  Then you will be able to dial the speed of the fans down to about 40-50% under most circumstance, and can crank them up if/when you need max cooling (like during stress testing, folding, etc.)