TeslaCrypt creators... are good..ish?

source: http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/19/teslacrypt-ransomware-creators-hand-over-key/

So the original developers of the teslacrypt, a version of the cryptovirus ransomware family have just handed out the 'master key' as they 'wrap up operations.

Turns out asking nicely works for many things...

The creators of a virus that forces users to pay to recover their own files seem to have turned over a new leaf. Security researchers at ESET are reporting that TeslaCrypt's developers posted the master encryption key, enabling ESET to develop a free fix.

This is kinda of cool in a way, i mean it sucks for the amount of people and businesses that had no choice but to fork out the money to get their data back.

According to the firm, the creators of the virus were "wrapping up" their activities, and when a researcher asked for the master key, it was simply handed over. ESET has subsequently been able to produce a decryption tool (available here) that'll enable anyone affected to get their files back

This seems to mean either; they have given up because there are so many ways to get around it (if you know what youre doing) 
Or they got very close to being caught.

There's also the question as to why TeslaCrypt's developers were so willing to hand over the keys

This is something that worries me though, seeing as it was posted online, this could mean that they are moving onto bigger things.

Still kinda neat though.

EDI: <i7 4970k, Corsair h110, 8gb avexir 2133 DDR3, ASUS Z97-AR, EVGA GTX980, Kingston Hyper x 128gh boot drive, 1.5tb of random mass storage drives> 
Peripherals: <RAZER Naga epic, Corsair K95/RAZER Deathstalker Ultimate>
Laptop(Leigon): MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 4k
Phones: <One Plus X, Sony Xperia Z, Moto X(2013) Huawei Nexus 6P

Woah that's a shock. Good guy ransom-ware xD

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

Not good guy.

If I take someone's lunch at school and tell them to pay me for it, then give it back anyway at the end of the day, I'm still a bully.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR