GPU overclocking Core and Memory. Why oc the memory?

Go to solution Solved by jjohnthedon1,
7 minutes ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

Thanks for all the answers! this gives me a better idea on what the OC'ing does for my GPU.

OK, two mores questions: 1) Does OC'ing the memory help with frame times and reduce display lag?

2) In games like The Forest and 7 Days to Die, my GPU usage is pegged at 95+ and VRAM is 1.8+- GB used. Does OC'ing the VRAm help alleviate this problem. (My CPU is a I3-6100 @ 4.4GHZ with 8GB of DDR4 @ 1620MHZ) (the ram speed is slow because I OC'd the CPU with the base clock)

There a multitude of variables that affect frame times but memory will help but only if u have a memory bottleneck 

nice oc btw! 

Very impressed 

Hey all.

Ok, so I googled this question for quite some time now and I can't find a solid answer. Does overclocking the Graphics card memory helps with displaying an image? For example Black Ops 3.

I overclock my Giagbyte 750 Ti 2x Windforce OC edition with MSI Afterburner and I got and average of 1293MHz (+200 compared to stock) on the Core and 6652 (+625 compared to stock) on the VRAM.

Thanks for answering.

It helps achieving higher FPS. Thats simply it.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

a gpu that is over clocked will get you more fps in games. if it is displaying a static image it wont make any difference

1 minute ago, Xaring said:

It helps achieving higher FPS. Thats simply it.

1 minute ago, vordnaskelA said:

a gpu that is over clocked will get you more fps in games. if it is displaying a static image it wont make any difference

Can you give an example? like how the OC would effect gaming like Black Ops 3?

You get more frames per second, you feel the game smoother, easier aiming, more tick rate, your PC says "im firing" more times each second, might give you a slight edge if your opponents PC is running at 30FPS (or on a console Kappa).

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

2 minutes ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

Can you give an example? like how the OC would effect gaming like Black Ops 3?

idk it would give you 5%ish more frames not too familiar with Black Ops 3 :P

To all y'all who already answered trying to make him sound stupid he is asking about overclocking the memory on the card not the core 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

1 minute ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

To all y'all who already answered trying to make him sound stupid he is asking about overclocking the memory on the card not the core 

3 minutes ago, Aytex said:

more fps...

i dont get what you don't understand

Ok, let me try this. How does OC'ing the memory give more frames? I understand why OC'ing the Core does give more frames.

Lol, thanks jjohnthedon1 xD

3 minutes ago, vordnaskelA said:

idk it would give you 5%ish more frames not too familiar with Black Ops 3 :P

No idea, BO3 is not a hard game to run, as they keep using the same old engine and assets, so id expect way over a 5% increase, 625 MHz is quite a bunch.

3 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

It still just gives you more FPS, same as core.

3 minutes ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

Ok, let me try this. How does OC'ing the memory give more frames? I understand why OC'ing the Core does give more frames.

Was wondering the same.

But just increasing memory clock doesn't make big difference. At least not for me, so I don't realy OC memory clock at all xD

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

8 minutes ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

Basically it helps if ur card has low memory band width 

which will get used up if ur games is using lots of post processing 

so if ur memory bandwidth is you bottle neck in a game oc ur memory 

only way to test if memory is the bottle neck is to oc it and see if ur fps increases 

its like this it doesn't mater if ur not using all of it there is no differance but once u use all of the bandwidth up overclocking it will help boost ur fps back up

but normally most cards are set with the right amount of bandwidth for what there ment for

i find it more useful for Sli 

because u find ur self with double the power but only the same amount of memory 

also (1600) 

Also for the most part people actually lower there memory clock to achive higher core clocks if they are finding that they do not have a memory bandwidth issues 

also (1600) 

So in answer to ur original question ur 750ti I'll run out for core performance before using to much aa and other effects chockes ur card

also (1600) 

Analogy time...!

Imagine a sushi bar, like the ones with a conveyor belt delivery system. On a GPU, the core would be like the chefs, and over clocking this would make sushi a lot faster.  "Great!" people will say, as this delivers more sushi right? Well... sort of. There would be an increased output of sushi... as long as the conveyor belt (memory) could keep up with the sushi being made. When there is too much sushi being made, the conveyor belt would become a bottleneck and would also have to be sped up.

This problem is also more noticeable on GPU with lower amounts or conveyor belt... I mean memory, and memory bandwidth.

TLDR: Low memory speed can bottleneck an overclocked core

10 minutes ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

If your card is getting memory bottlenecked it will.

For example:

Let's say your playing Black Ops 3.

The GPU is calculating what the next frame is. However, if the GPU needs information from the memory on, let's say, what the position of a player is, normally it could just calculate other stuff in the meantime. But if the position of the player is the ONLY thing it's waiting on, and it doesn't have anything else to do in the meantime, then it would just be waiting on the memory and idling in the meantime. In that case faster memory would make your GPU faster.

Hope that makes sense.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

12 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If your card is getting memory bottlenecked it will.

For example:

Let's say your playing Black Ops 3.

The GPU is calculating what the next frame is. However, if the GPU needs information from the memory on, let's say, what the position of a player is, normally it could just calculate other stuff in the meantime. But if the position of the player is the ONLY thing it's waiting on, and it doesn't have anything else to do in the meantime, then it would just be waiting on the memory and idling in the meantime. In that case faster memory would make your GPU faster.

Hope that makes sense.

14 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

Analogy time...!

Imagine a sushi bar, like the ones with a conveyor belt delivery system. On a GPU, the core would be like the chefs, and over clocking this would make sushi a lot faster.  "Great!" people will say, as this delivers more sushi right? Well... sort of. There would be an increased output of sushi... as long as the conveyor belt (memory) could keep up with the sushi being made. When there is too much sushi being made, the conveyor belt would become a bottleneck and would also have to be sped up.

This problem is also more noticeable on GPU with lower amounts or conveyor belt... I mean memory, and memory bandwidth.

TLDR: Low memory speed can bottleneck an overclocked core

Thanks for all the answers! this gives me a better idea on what the OC'ing does for my GPU.

OK, two mores questions: 1) Does OC'ing the memory help with frame times and reduce display lag?

2) In games like The Forest and 7 Days to Die, my GPU usage is pegged at 95+ and VRAM is 1.8+- GB used. Does OC'ing the VRAm help alleviate this problem. (My CPU is a I3-6100 @ 4.4GHZ with 8GB of DDR4 @ 1620MHZ) (the ram speed is slow because I OC'd the CPU with the base clock)

7 minutes ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

There a multitude of variables that affect frame times but memory will help but only if u have a memory bottleneck 

nice oc btw! 

Very impressed 

also (1600) 

1 hour ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

nice oc btw! 

Very impressed 

Thanks.