1080 "The New King"

Imaginary Friend

So as from now the 1080/1070 are better than titan x and 980 sli.

Will the 980 and titan x price drop under the price of 1080? then i mean under 599?

Because it seems wierd that a card that preforms worse than a 599 worth card is odd to me.

I think that the Titan X will still be better for video editing, the Titan X is something like a mix between a gaming GPU and Workstation GPU. So I don't think so.

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

2 minutes ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

I think that the Titan X will still be better for video editing, the Titan X is something like a mix between a gaming GPU and Workstation GPU. So I don't think so.

Ah i didn't know that :P well thanks for the answer.

if you buy used then its a lot cheaper

the old 900 cards are discontinued so even though they are worth less there are a lot fewer of them

so depending on demand their price can go up or down

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Sans said:

Ah i didn't know that :P well thanks for the answer.

I don't know if that's 100% true, but I do know that the Titan X is better for video rendering/editing.

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

7 minutes ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

I don't know if that's 100% true, but I do know that the Titan X is better for video rendering/editing.

It has many features that the Quadros have.

17 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

It has many features that the Quadros have.

Such as? As far as I'm aware this stopped being true after the Titan Black/Z. As far as computational performance goes it was worse than Kepler. Titan X was a gaming card and a gaming card only, unlike every prior Titan.

As for the price of the Titan X/980 Ti, I don't expect them to get cheaper, I just expect production to stop. Why would Nvidia compete with themselves inter generationally?

2 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Such as? As far as I'm aware this stopped being true after the Titan Black/Z. As far as computational performance goes it was worse than Kepler. Titan X was a gaming card and a gaming card only, unlike every prior Titan.

As for the price of the Titan X/980 Ti, I don't expect them to get cheaper, I just expect production to stop. Why would Nvidia compete with themselves inter generationally?

Maybe you are right, I know the original Titan had double precision floating point capabilities which is a Quadro feature.

14 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

One model of the 980 Ti was going for 475$ a couple days ago. Right now the cheapest one is around 530

the price won't drop right away.... it will take a while (at least a year).  Mostly because they know there is a still a market to sell to people who will upgrade to an SLi config.

$600 more to go to 980Ti SLi is still going to be WAY faster than a single 1080.

1 hour ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Maybe you are right, I know the original Titan had double precision floating point capabilities which is a Quadro feature.

It did, as did the Titan Black, but the Titan X was conspicuously lacking that. 

1 hour ago, Matias_Chambers said:

One model of the 980 Ti was going for 475$ a couple days ago. Right now the cheapest one is around 530

I'd imagine retailers are trying to get rid of them ready to focus on the 1080.