steam os question

jamese669

so by now i suspect you have all heard of the new steam os

what my question is will it be a os like windows where you will need to install it to your harddrive and run it as a standalone os or will it be steam client like os where you will need to be in windows/mac osx to use it

if a similer post or questiong has already been posted feel free to let me know and i shall remove it and dont be a d**k about it :) id did search for a relevent post but did not find one

I did a thing once and it was awsome: https://soundcloud.com/jamese666/junkhead-cover-with-vocals

thats cool then :) you recon it would be a valid replacment for windows

I don't think so, at least not for my workstation, maybe for my HTPC, but that would be about it.

From what I have got from it, SteamOS is just a Linux variant optimised for Steam and Steam games itself. So it will be a standalone Linux-like OS.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

I have to say that lately I've used windows 8 on a touch screen environment and have to admit that I really like it....but only on a touch screen and not on a desktop.

If you run Linux currently then Steam OS will be easily used instead. If you are running Windows or OSX then I don't think it will quite replace that yet. More games need to be able to run natively on Linux before Steam OS can replace Windows on my main machine. But with the streaming feature where you can stream any game from your main desktop to a Steambox/HTPC then it becomes a viable option on secondary living room machines.

My hope and opinion is that it does really well so more game devs ensure that their games run natively on Linux and then Steam OS 2.0 or 3.0 may have enough to get onto main systems. Personally I will try it out on my main PC as a secondary option to see what it is like and how it runs but until I can play any game I want natively on it then it will not replace windows outright on my machine. The other issue will be all my legacy games that I can still run on Windows but will not be able to run on Linux.

It will just be a secondary OS people use for certain games etc.

Hopefully it develops into a bigger thing and more and more games get support and developers start adding support for new titles etc blahblah.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Valve's business model is different from Microsoft's.

-Microsoft makes money directly off Windows.

-Valve will not make money directly off steamOS- They will give it out for free and it's opensource.

-Their interest is to use Linux to spread PC gaming into the living room, which will benefit them long-term if successful; Both in terms of selling their own games, and for selling other developer games through Steam.

Since it's still Linux it has the inbuilt potential to be a full fledged Windows competitor in other areas as well (as Linux has always had) but for that to be realized it will require a push on many fronts, not just gaming (which Valve will do).

it will be standalone from what it seems like. ill probably just make steamos a dual boot, also since its linux based how does that work?? Theres a lot of drivers without linux support and a butt ton of steam games without linux support

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

If you run Linux currently then Steam OS will be easily used instead. If you are running Windows or OSX then I don't think it will quite replace that yet. More games need to be able to run natively on Linux before Steam OS can replace Windows on my main machine. But with the streaming feature where you can stream any game from your main desktop to a Steambox/HTPC then it becomes a viable option on secondary living room machines.

Thanks for the conformation, I have a HTPC in the living room and it would be great to use linux and steam to stream games from my pc from time to time  :)

My Rig:

OS: MSX CPU:Intel i5 4690K RAM: 16GB Averix Core Series  GPU: XFX R9 280X SSD:128GB Crucial M4 Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z97N Wifi Powersupply: Corsair HX750 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60i Case: Corsair 250D Monitors: Asus VE278 and Asus VW202 Keyboard: Steel Series 6G V2 Mouse: CM Sentinel Advanced Audio: Objective 2 ODAC Headphones: Senheiser HD595

one of my htpc's current;y running windows 8 on it :wacko:  , will replace it with steamOS when it comes see how it runs then

one of my htpc's current;y running windows 8 on it :wacko: , will replace it with steamOS when it comes see how it runs then

Do u use windows media centre or something good like MediaPortal.. Coz I wouldn't trade MP for the world.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

just win8 installed it to try it out never got around to replace it

watch shows movies using vlc player  basically

I think it is just a distro of linux skinned to look like steam.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Here are reasons why its not an ideal replacement for Windows:

-> Expect a TV designed interface, designed to be controlled with a game controller. (like Steam Big Picture Mode)

-> While its based on Linux Kernel, we don't know if all Linux based OS software will be compatible. So expect that you'll have nothing, beside a web browser, and probably just a basic video/music player, if anything.

-> Games found only on Uplay or Origin won't work for it, as it's Windows/MacOS only.

Its designed to be for HTPC.

Also, nothing stops you of doing:

a75MKoL_460sa.gif

I think it is just a distro of linux skinned to look like steam.

I would be surprised if it was just that. I suspect that Valve is investing a lot of money into the technologies that were previously lacking to make them suitable as a gaming platform. Linux is already a valid workstation platform (It lacks media stuff - for now, but that's already changing), so it would surprise me if it was just a 'skin' of Linux. Nor does Linux work like that.