Opolar LC05 Laptop Cooler

Wait, isn't this video a month old(on vessel). How come such a late release date for some of your videos on YouTube? 

Edited by aneil1998

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

4 minutes ago, aneil1998 said:

Wait, isn't this video a month old(on vessel). How come such a late release date for some of your videos on YouTube? 

So much show coverage lately. Really screws with the release schedule. Should be back to normal very soon :)

@Slick

So... noise?  Decibel readings?  Subjective auditory impressions?  Recording what it actually sounds like when it operates using some kind of microphonic transducer?  

I mean, this cooler is a wee little thing, which suggests a small, high RPM fan, which usually means loud.  For a product like this, its noise level is one of the very first things I'd want to know if I were thinking about buying it.  

Although he was talking about desktop computers, I'm reminded of something that your boss once said:

If you want a loud gaming rig, then why invest in these elegant cooling solutions that do such a good job; why not just use a stock cooler?  And why don't you get an Xbox while you're at it?

To my way of thinking, the quest for a great laptop cooler means finding one that effects the same cooling performance with less noise (or greater cooling with the same amount of noise), by taking the strain off of the internal fan(s).  Certainly cooling benchmarks are an important part of that, and well done with those.  But I feel like that's only half the story.  

Questions I would ask when trying a laptop cooler: 

• How loud is the laptop by itself?  How annoying is the sound (e.g., pitch, whine, whirring)?  
  • How loud is the cooler by itself?  How annoying?  
  • When you put the two together during benchmarks, does the total auditory experience improve or worsen?  
    • (It's easy to imagine it going either way: Maybe the cooler takes enough strain off the laptop fans that they can ramp down to a more reasonable RPM.  Or, maybe the cooler just adds to the cacophony.)
  • For a given noise level, what are the cooling performance gains?  Or, for a given performance gain, what does it cost in noise level?  
    • (Of course, I'm not suggesting that you try all 13 cooler settings, heh.)  

In short: I'm glad you're doing laptop cooler reviews, with useful cooling performance benchmarks, but tell me about the noise too.  Inquiring minds want to know!  

Hey, I have a question: I'm currently using an asus rog g501 and I thought that this would be a nice cooler for me, but i'm not sure if it would actually work with my laptop considering where the fans are placed. Does anyone know if i'm wrong and if I can actually use this?

10 hours ago, JCHelios said:

...a small, high RPM fan, which usually means loud...

I have several of these setup on older laptops and can confirm that is pretty much the case. My ambient noise is usually pretty loud so the loud fan doesn't make much of a difference to me. Yay for headphones!

7 hours ago, TheyCallMeShizzle said:

Hey, I have a question: I'm currently using an asus rog g501 and I thought that this would be a nice cooler for me, but i'm not sure if it would actually work with my laptop considering where the fans are placed. Does anyone know if i'm wrong and if I can actually use this?

Where are your vents located/Do you have pictures? A quick search isn't giving me an entirely clear answer. If you have side or back vents it is possible to use this cooler. If the vent wraps to the bottom, they have different shrouds that might fit.

You can ask the seller (on amazon or through their contact page) about compatibility as they are pretty good with letting you know if it can work. I've used this cooler on 2 different laptops and they responded to my questionsurprise about compatibility.

See the different shroud sizes here (in one of the pictures): http://www.opolar.com/?product=opolar-laptop-cooler-lc05

Does any one else notice that the site supplied pic(@5:55) shows the rubber coupling to be installed differently (ie upside down) from how they had it installed? The longer lip is supposed to go under the laptop to ensure a tight seal, it may have done worse on the thicker laptop due to not being installed right. Also the different shrouds are made for different thicknesses of laptops, this is evidenced by the differing size of the opening to the cooler.

Could @SidGauVic verify if this is the case as he has stated he has one?

Certain brand and even models of laptop have a different locations of the exhaust ports. So if yours exits from the base of the screen. You cant use this product. I have the Coolermaster SF-17. And i say the wide pad helps to blow upwards the bottom of the laptop. My laptop is not a gaming grade type but it still able to reduce the heat from the heavy gaming sessions like Crysis 3.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

@JCHelios

Opolar released a new version of their laptop cooler, the LC06, with decibel ratings for the lowest and highest fan speeds. From what I can see, they updated version just has some neater features + a better bottom mount, so the sound should be comparable. 

EDIT: Missed their claim on the old model (LC05). On the Amazon page it says that the LC05 has a maximum 60db, while the new LC06 has a max 70db. 

61KMbaGaQjL._SL1000_.jpg

On 5/17/2016 at 8:32 PM, StainlessSR said:

Does any one else notice that the site supplied pic(@5:55) shows the rubber coupling to be installed differently (ie upside down) from how they had it installed? The longer lip is supposed to go under the laptop to ensure a tight seal, it may have done worse on the thicker laptop due to not being installed right. Also the different shrouds are made for different thicknesses of laptops, this is evidenced by the differing size of the opening to the cooler.

Could @SidGauVic verify if this is the case as he has stated he has one?

I was going to mention this in my earlier post but got carried away looking up the ROG g501 vents. At 1:42 in the video the grey shroud is picked over the other two for aesthetics. While I agree with that, the different colored shrouds have different sizes and are better suited for different laptops depending on thickness. 

In regards to whether the orientation would affect cooling performance, I think it depends on the laptop and shroud used. I think that having the longer lip underneath the laptop is better because the metal attachment would help create a better seal. At the same time, some laptops have intake vents on the bottom where the cooler is mounted, so placing the shroud upside down might make more sense. Since they were using the grey shroud (which is the largest one) with a gaming notebook (fairly thick), I think they would have gotten a decent seal either way. I'll try to do some crude testing to see if there are any significant differences on my personal laptop.

Edited by SidGauVic
formatting + updated information