good CPU cooler for small HP tower.

Hi so i have this sleeper system that i made, it has a phenom ii x6 1055t overclocked to 3.3ghz and i have the system in a HP Pavilion a1747c micro atx tower. the downside to this tower is when i play games the stock AMD fan would spin up to insane ass RPMs. when playing games the cpu hangs at 40c and the RPM on the AMD fan is at 6,000 RPM. i mean i have sound tolerance but at 6,000 RPM thats way too high for my comfort. so i was wondering if there is any good heatsinks out there that would get performance like the hyper 212 evo but is smaller than the evo and can fit in my case. at this rate if i bring my sleeper pc to a lan party people would mistake it as a server box. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

40c is pretty low. Just lower your fan speeds. You're fine up to 60c or so at load. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, DEcobra11 said:

Do you need it smaller than this?:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cryorig-cpu-cooler-m9a

is it smaller than the evo? and if it is by how much? heatsink height is my main concern. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

40c is pretty low. Just lower your fan speeds. You're fine up to 60c or so at load. 

cant at 40c the damn AMD fan spins up to 6,000 RPM by itself 

1 minute ago, DEcobra11 said:

Sure it is, IIRC the evo is 159mm, this one is 125 mm

does it have a 120mm fan? 

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

cant at 40c the damn AMD fan spins up to 6,000 RPM by itself 

What do you mean? Aren't there options for adjusting the fan rpm in the motherboard settings?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What do you mean? Aren't there options for adjusting the fan rpm in the motherboard settings?

no theres a disable smart fan control and let that sucker run at 6,000 RPM all day long or the auto which lets the fan idle at 2,500 RPM to 3,000 RPM. then it goes back to 6,000 RPM when i play games like unturned or TF2. i mean i know that the HP case has only 1 92mm exhaust fan mount, but still... that RPM is stupidly high for my cpu cooler. 

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

no theres a disable smart fan control and let that sucker run at 6,000 RPM all day long or the auto which lets the fan idle at 2,500 RPM to 3,000 RPM. 

Have you tried using SpeedFan?

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you tried using SpeedFan?

no but i read around and for AMD fans thats how they normally get to. so i think my best bet here is to replace the fan with something aftermarket that will run much more silent. 

18 minutes ago, DEcobra11 said:

Do you need it smaller than this?:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0177GTUE6/?tag=pcpapi-20

ill consider this as an option, but i would really like to find something that has at least a 120mm fan on it. very good find though, im very impressed with the price of that cooler. 

10 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

no but i read around and for AMD fans thats how they normally get to. so i think my best bet here is to replace the fan with something aftermarket that will run much more silent. 

Your fan is running much faster and your cpu much cooler than necessary. You should be able to just lower the rpm. 

20 minutes ago, DEcobra11 said:

Sure it is, IIRC the evo is 159mm, this one is 125 mm

also can you find me something similar to that cryog cooler? the max height has to be under 6 inches. and can it have a 120mm fan? 

3 minutes ago, DEcobra11 said:

how would this stack up to a cryorig m9a? because this is almost double the cost of that M9a 

7 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

how would this stack up to a cryorig m9a? because this is almost double the cost of that M9a 

There's difference in size. H7 is 120mm cooler, M9a is 92mm cooler (cooler sizes are measured in fans size). Bigger is better when it comes to cooling. More surface area for heat dissipation and bigger fan blowing more air over coolers fins. Also bigger fan will move more air with lower rpm compared to smaller fan, which means less noise.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

There's difference in size. H7 is 120mm cooler, M9a is 92mm cooler (cooler sizes are measured in fans size). Bigger is better when it comes to cooling. More surface area for heat dissipation and bigger fan blowing more air over coolers fins. Also bigger fan will move more air with lower rpm compared to smaller fan, which means less noise.

The downside is I'm using a hp pavilion a1747c case as my sleeper chassis. I don't think it will fit a 120mm cooler so I might be stuck with a 92mm

The downside is I'm using a hp pavilion a1747c case as my sleeper chassis. I don't think it will fit a 120mm cooler so I might be stuck with a 92mm

You said in earlier post that max height is 6in. Which is 152.4mm. H7 is 145mm. It would fit there.

11 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

also can you find me something similar to that cryog cooler? the max height has to be under 6 inches. and can it have a 120mm fan? 

11 hours ago, DEcobra11 said:

according to google 6 inch = 152 mm

So it's going to be cryorig... again... Cryorig H7 (145 mm)

Cheers to @DEcobra11 for the googling :)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

but the h7 is $35 while the m9a is $20. the differance in price is almost double and i dont know if the improved performance is signifigant enough to justify the almost double price tag. 

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

but the h7 is $35 while the m9a is $20. the differance in price is almost double and i dont know if the improved performance is signifigant enough to justify the almost double price tag. 

Well, after looking at some reviews, noise levels seems to be about same between the two. H7 has about 3-5C better cooling power.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Well, after looking at some reviews, noise levels seems to be about same between the two. H7 has about 3-5C better cooling power.

3 to 5c isnt worth the almost double price tag to me. i think ill just get the m9a 

20 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

40c? oh my bad sorry i read the temps wrong, it idles at 40c and load goes up to 55c at 5,000 RPM 60c gets the fan up to 6,000 RPM on the stock cooler. idle RPM is 3,000. and this is with a 3.3ghz overclock. stock speed is 2.8ghz 

40c? oh my bad sorry i read the temps wrong, it idles at 40c and load goes up to 55c at 5,000 RPM 60c gets the fan up to 6,000 RPM on the stock cooler. 

Oh, that makes more sense. Do you know how much clearance you have between the cpu and the side panel? 6" was mentioned but an exact measurement would be great. 

Also, where are you shopping/located? Budget?

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Oh, that makes more sense. Do you know how much clearance you have between the cpu and the side panel? 6" was mentioned but an exact measurement would be great. 

Also, where are you shopping/located? Budget?

Well 6in was from the bottom of the bottom of the chassis up to the very top where the side panel goes on. I'm in the Silicon Valley California. Budget wise no more than $35 less is better though. Also what do you think of the h7 compared to the m9a (both are from cryorig) the h7 is $35 while the m9a is $20 the price difference is almost double so I was wondering if that extra money is justifiable. Lol right now the fan is at 4,000 rpm while I'm typing this. CPU temp as of now is 45c 

24 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Well 6in was from the bottom of the bottom of the chassis up to the very top where the side panel goes on. I'm in the Silicon Valley California. Budget wise no more than $35 less is better though. Also what do you think of the h7 compared to the m9a (both are from cryorig) the h7 is $35 while the m9a is $20 the price difference is almost double so I was wondering if that extra money is justifiable. Lol right now the fan is at 4,000 rpm while I'm typing this. CPU temp as of now is 45c 

Th H7 is definitely better and worth getting over the M9a if you want a quieter cooler. That being said, it would help to check if you have the clearance for it. Clearance for coolers are measured from the top of the socket to the side panel. 

31 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Th H7 is definitely better and worth getting over the M9a if you want a quieter cooler. That being said, it would help to check if you have the clearance for it. Clearance for coolers are measured from the top of the socket to the side panel. 

I measured from the top of the CPU to the the side panel and I got 5.4 inches of height clearance. 

13 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

I measured from the top of the CPU to the the side panel and I got 5.4 inches of height clearance. 

In that case, you have less clearance than first anticipated. The M9a and S524 seem like the two viable solutions. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cryorig-cpu-cooler-m9a

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rrg5v220pkr1