Help with new headphone

Cataclyst

So, I had a thread before asking people which is better for gaming. Wired or Wireless and alot of people said that Wired was the way to go. Anyways, based on peoples comments, I decided to go with a headphone and external mic combo for my Gaming needs. I am about to buy my new headphones tomorrow on a local store here in my area, I actually checked in with them yesterday and they gave me a few recommendations based on the testings that we did.

Recommendations: most of these was with an AMP( Fiio Q1 )

Closed Back:

Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro - I liked the bass on this thing and how they could be adjusted, I also like how they tickle my ear when the bass drops, what I don't like about it is the design. (Tested with AMP)

Audio Technica ATH-M50x - These are really good too but the bass wasn't as much as the Custom one?

Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 - These have a overall good sound signiture? (although I am faaaaaaaaaaaaar from being an Audiophile as this would be the first high-end headphones that I am going to get) But they lack the same bass as the Custom One Pro, I like their design though it looks very premium. One issue I had with it, since I have glasses is that the clamping force kinda hurts cuz it presses on my frame really hard (Note: This was fresh out of the box while the other tests was their demo units) (Tested with AMP)

AKG 550 - Was very neutral sounding, didn't like it very much

Momentum 2 - It was pretty ok? I guess, I can't recall it much anymore HAHA

Sony MDR-1A - It was pretty ok too and it was very comfty I like its design but the way the wire attaches to the headphone is driving me crazy xD

Open Back:

AKG K712 - These are VERY VERY Comfortable but due to its semi-open back design, I am not used to open back headphones so I am worried that it would hurt the gaming experience? (Tested with AMP)

HD 600 - Very nice and good sounding, it lacks the bass though imo? but like I said I am not really an audiophile and it would be my first high-end headphones (Tested with AMP)

One thing to note is that, I was also looking at the HD8 DJs but they had no stock of it, they also said that the clamping pressure is really tight and that it would hurt me because of the glasses in the long run. Also the Sennheiser Game Zero is also one of my options but I just don't like its design.

Spoiler

| CPU:

Intel i7-4790K | MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus 7 Ranger | GPU: Asus STRIX GTX 970 | RAM: Kingstom HyperX 8GB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | HD:  WDC Caviar Black 1TB | PSU: Corsair 650W | Case: NZXT H440

Razer Mamba 2015| Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Headset: Steelseries H Wireless | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus | Monitor: Asus PA246Q

Are you going to use them for gaming only ? if so then I would prefer audio quality and features over the good looks. Another thing to remember is your budget, how much are you willing to spend? - steam summer sales coming :P. But in the end its a matter of preference, do you like heavy bass or balanced sound? Maybe something very light that is comfortable on your head. But if you have the money for it I would recommend the Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro's  since their price/quality is really hard to beat. I hope this helps!

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

37 minutes ago, henkka_scorpio said:

Are you going to use them for gaming only ? if so then I would prefer audio quality and features over the good looks. Another thing to remember is your budget, how much are you willing to spend? - steam summer sales coming :P. But in the end its a matter of preference, do you like heavy bass or balanced sound? Maybe something very light that is comfortable on your head. But if you have the money for it I would recommend the Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro's  since their price/quality is really hard to beat. I hope this helps!

Well, i have a budget of $430 converted. Yeah i guess the Custom One Pros is the best for its price but I just hate its design @_@ HAHA. Also, I would be using it for gaming and music listening

Spoiler

| CPU:

Intel i7-4790K | MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus 7 Ranger | GPU: Asus STRIX GTX 970 | RAM: Kingstom HyperX 8GB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | HD:  WDC Caviar Black 1TB | PSU: Corsair 650W | Case: NZXT H440

Razer Mamba 2015| Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Headset: Steelseries H Wireless | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus | Monitor: Asus PA246Q

45 minutes ago, Cataclyst said:

Open Back:

AKG K712 - These are VERY VERY Comfortable but due to its semi-open back design, I am not used to open back headphones so I am worried that it would hurt the gaming experience? (Tested with AMP)

Who told you they where semi open? because I would like to talk some sense into him, they are fully open back. Open headphones will give you a bigger soundstage and it will be easier to pick out where the sound is comming from. If you don't like neutral stay away from: HD 600, K712, k550,  MDR-1A.

Why not look at the HD 650? They are a warmer sounding version of the HD 600.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Who told you they where semi open? because I would like to talk some sense into him, they are fully open back. Open headphones will give you a bigger soundstage and it will be easier to pick out where the sound is comming from. If you don't like neutral stay away from: HD 600, K712, k550,  MDR-1A.

Why not look at the HD 650? They are a warmer sounding version of the HD 600.

Oh, the person at the store told me that they were semi open lol, hm..alright maybe ill try that 650 out. By warmer what do you mean?

Spoiler

| CPU:

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Open headphones will give you a bigger soundstage and it will be easier to pick out where the sound is comming from.

Why not look at the HD 650?

That is completely true, open back headphones give a better soundstage and it sounds more natural overall. The HD 650 is another great piece of hardware although they dont look too beautiful either.

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

21 minutes ago, Cataclyst said:

Oh, the person at the store told me that they were semi open lol, hm..alright maybe ill try that 650 out. By warmer what do you mean?

more focus on the low mid and bass frequency

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

26 minutes ago, henkka_scorpio said:

That is completely true, open back headphones give a better soundstage and it sounds more natural overall. The HD 650 is another great piece of hardware although they dont look too beautiful either.

They have the same look as the HD 600 right?

11 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

more focus on the low mid and bass frequency

oh ok, ill try those out.

Spoiler

| CPU:

40 minutes ago, Cataclyst said:

They have the same look as the HD 600 right?

oh ok, ill try those out.

They are a little different in the color, but the shape is the same and they have matched drivers, so Sennheiser has picked the two drivers that was the closest to eachother and put them into the headphones, unlike normal headphones where they just make the drivers and just put them into headphones.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

They are a little different in the color, but the shape is the same and they have matched drivers, so Sennheiser has picked the two drivers that was the closest to eachother and put them into the headphones, unlike normal headphones where they just make the drivers and just put them into headphones.

oh, what are the advantages of that? when two drivers are picked rather than made? Sorry noob here OTL

Spoiler

| CPU:

1 minute ago, Cataclyst said:

oh, what are the advantages of that? when two drivers are picked rather than made? Sorry noob here OTL

Well in normal headphones there is a little difference in how the drivers sound, so one side might have a tiny bit more bass and the other one might have a tiny bit more treble, we are talking very very very little difference in most cases, but sennheiser test each driver they make for the HD 650 to see their frequancy response and then they take the two drivers that looks the most alike and put them in a pair of headphones. The advantage is that the drivers will match 100% to each other and well the quality of the drivers should go up.

24 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well in normal headphones there is a little difference in how the drivers sound, so one side might have a tiny bit more bass and the other one might have a tiny bit more treble, we are talking very very very little difference in most cases, but sennheiser test each driver they make for the HD 650 to see their frequancy response and then they take the two drivers that looks the most alike and put them in a pair of headphones. The advantage is that the drivers will match 100% to each other and well the quality of the drivers should go up.

Ohh I see, thank you! I will check tomorrow at the store for the HD 650

Spoiler

| CPU: