stick with 980ti or let it go?

Go to solution Solved by Hakiroto,

Keep it an enjoy it. It's an incredible card. I bought a Zotac 980 Ti AMP! Extreme last November (and it was expensive!) but I don't feel bad now the 1080 is coming out. When I bought it 6 months ago people were already talking about waiting for the Pascal cards. There's no way I was going to wait that long based on a (strong) rumour. The truth is that there'll always be something better just around the corner. Sure, my card is a 980 (Ti) and not a 1080 but games look and run incredibly well (at 1440p on my XB271HU) so I have no worries whatsoever. I'm not going for first-generation VR and I'm not running 4K so there's nothing to worry about. Well, unless I really wanted 95 FPS on The Division as opposed to 80 FPS. :) 

So many people are putting their awesome cards up for sale at super low prices just so they can get a 1080 but we haven't even had benchmarks yet. That's crazy.

Regardless of what you do, I hope you figure it out and you're happy with whatever you end up with.

Hello good people, 

So this happened with me, I was being patient about the gpu since last year eversince I built my gaming rig as i was mostly out of my hometown I was staying solid with my decision of geting new pascal consumer version gpu which was rumored to be announced by the end of apri or 1st week of may 

now waiting desperately and not receiving the good news I lost my patience just 2 days before gtx 1080 was announced and went on buying 980ti (which in my country costs arround 800 usd) happy with my card woke up next day and saw online nvidia announcing special event and next day demonstrating thier 1080 gtx, and not just that but the price being only 599 usd  

Now that made me very upset 

so straight i went on and asked shopkeeper if it is possible to return it and he said NO

posted advertisement on Craigslist reducing a 150$ and people started lowballing and giving ridiculously low offers saying 1070 is much cheaper and it will beat 980ti just like that 

I am now stuck with brand new 980ti at the very wrong moment of time 

now i want you all good people to recommend me 

should i take thier ridiculously low offer and sell it and get the 1080 gtx or should I stick with 980ti 

just for better advice of you all i must let you know this..

i am using 1440p monitor with 144hz overclocked at 158hz now.

Quick info on my rig

i5 6600k (overclocked to 4.7 Ghz stable)

corsair gtx h110i 

asus gaming pro

vengeance lpx 3000 mhz 8x8gb

850 pro 250 gb

950 pro m.2 512 gb

corsair hx 850i

corsair 760t

thanks in advance and sorry for long post and bad grammar english isint my first language

20160513_091217.jpg

Edited by hasib.zaman

Keep it unless you're going to be doing VR super soon. The 1080 is most likely only a tiny bit faster in normal gaming.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

3 minutes ago, hasib.zaman said:

Hello good people, 

So this happened with me, I was being patient about the gpu since last year eversince I built my gaming rig as i was mostly out of my hometown I was staying solid with my decision of geting new pascal consumer version gpu which was rumored to be announced by the end of apri or 1st week of may 

now waiting desperately and not receiving the good news I lost my patience just 2 days before gtx 1080 was announced and went on buying 980ti (which in my country costs arround 800 usd) happy with my card woke up next day and saw online nvidia announcing special event and next day demonstrating thier 1080 gtx, and not just that but the price being only 599 usd  

Now that made me very upset 

so straight i went on and asked shopkeeper if it is possible to return it and he said NO

posted advertisement on Craigslist reducing a 150$ and people started lowballing and giving ridiculously low offers saying 1070 is much cheaper and it will beat 980ti just like that 

I am now stuck with brand new 980ti at the very wrong moment of time 

now i want you all good people to recommend me 

should i take thier ridiculously low offer and sell it and get the 1080 gtx or should I stick with 980ti 

just for better advice of you all i must let you know this..

i am using 1440p monitor with 144hz overclocked at 158hz now.

thanks in advance and sorry for long post and bad grammar english isint my first language

20160513_091217.jpg

You can speak two languages, thats more than I ever will. Bro, its a 980Ti, you just feel bad that you got less for your money when in reality, you would probably never use the full power of the 980Ti anyway at 1440p. Dont sell it, keep it unless you are unsatisfied with the performance which you should not be. Its way better than my R9 380. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Unless you can get good money for it, keep it. I have a 980ti and it was everything I dreamed it would be.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The 1080 is about 25% better if you are selling it wait until benchmarks come out and people realize how lame the next generation gpus really are so you will get more and have a better counter to low balls. 

I would just keep it and upgrade when they come out with a bigger pascal chip if you feel that you need more performance at that time.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

Keep it, its a good card. If you really want Pascal, wait till the 1080Ti or new Titan come out. The 980Ti is a great card and won't drop much in price.

Keep it an enjoy it. It's an incredible card. I bought a Zotac 980 Ti AMP! Extreme last November (and it was expensive!) but I don't feel bad now the 1080 is coming out. When I bought it 6 months ago people were already talking about waiting for the Pascal cards. There's no way I was going to wait that long based on a (strong) rumour. The truth is that there'll always be something better just around the corner. Sure, my card is a 980 (Ti) and not a 1080 but games look and run incredibly well (at 1440p on my XB271HU) so I have no worries whatsoever. I'm not going for first-generation VR and I'm not running 4K so there's nothing to worry about. Well, unless I really wanted 95 FPS on The Division as opposed to 80 FPS. :) 

So many people are putting their awesome cards up for sale at super low prices just so they can get a 1080 but we haven't even had benchmarks yet. That's crazy.

Regardless of what you do, I hope you figure it out and you're happy with whatever you end up with.

7 hours ago, Berlihm said:

i think you and all others are absolutely correct 

i will keep my card until 1080ti comes out

and yeah performance wise its a beast too 

thank you everyome for replying