Civilization 6 Finally Announced

I don't even bother with multiplayer for Civ games. I'd rather they focus on making the single player as good as they can.

Linus is my fetish.

1 minute ago, Inkz said:

Let's see how aggressive Gandhi is this time.

that was one of the things i saw the most on the reddit thread

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

12 hours ago, Syfes said:

Cool, but... Is this considered tech news? It's just a game announcement. Unless they're using new technologies or if they're applying unique development methods, I don't think this really belongs in this section of the forum? There's a PC Gaming thread for that.

If you don't think this belongs in News, then report it to the mods and move on. By saying it's not news, you aren't contributing to the discussion in any meaningful way. Furthermore, there's a long standing precedence set for Gaming News to be considered news. Until the Mods create a gaming news subforum dedicated to gaming news, then gaming news will continue to be posted here.

If the mods don't want that to happen, they'll change the rules and should post a notification to that effect.

In the mean time, we shall discuss :)

Looks neat. I played a lot of Civ 5, but never played too many of the expansions yet. Didn't play Beyond Horizon's either. I've actually been thinking about buying Stellaris, after watching quite a few Let's Play's of it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Now that i think about it: Does this mean there are no more DLC/Expansions coming for Beyond Earth and that i can finally safely buy the full package for a single price? 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

14 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Now that i think about it: Does this mean there are no more DLC/Expansions coming for Beyond Earth and that i can finally safely buy the full package for a single price? 

I would wait until Civ 6 is actually released, before I would bet on that. But when the Summer Sale hits steam, you'll probably find most/all of the BE DLC on for 75%+ discount.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

12 hours ago, Bhav said:

Disagree about the graphics. They look exactly like Civ IV on a hex grid, and Civ IV was superior in every way to Civ V 'Runs like an ass, 2 minutes in between turns endgame on highest end PCs' graphics.

Civ was never meant to be a game about graphics.

it can look better. much better. there is no texture on that grass.

CIV 5:

ZeroOne_game_London_going_down_(Civ5).jp

Civ 6:

CivilizationVI_screenshot_announce2-720x

see the difference? its ok though, I'm assuming this isn't the final build. and of course, mods are a thing. so I don't mind. but saying visuals dont make a difference isn't true. it adds another level of immersion.

6 minutes ago, Katorice said:

CIV 5:

Hide contents

Civ 6:

Hide contents

see the difference? its ok though, I'm assuming this isn't the final build. and of course, mods are a thing. so I don't mind. but saying visuals dont make a difference isn't true. it adds another level of immersion.

Seems to me like Civ 6 is going for a completely new Art Style. If that's the case, then you cannot directly compare them. The graphics can be objectively superior, while looking subjectively worse.

12 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Seems to me like Civ 6 is going for a completely new different Art Style. If that's the case, then you cannot directly compare them. The graphics can be objectively superior, while looking subjectively worse.

FTFY*

how can art be objectively superior?

or you mean technically superior?

7 minutes ago, Katorice said:

FTFY*

how can art be objectively superior?

or you mean technically superior?

Correct, technically superior. Obviously art is in the eye of the beholder, hence my second comment.

Also, you stroking out "New" and replacing it with "different" is semantics. It's both new and different. By being new, it's also by definition, automatically different. As far as I'm aware, no previous Civ game has had anything remotely similar to the "cartoony" look Civ 6 currently has.

3 hours ago, Katorice said:

CIV 5:

Hide contents

Civ 6:

Hide contents

frankly it really doesn't bother me, reminds me of Civ Revolution. I prefer the cartoony art style more than the ones trying to reach near perfect realism 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

As far as I'm aware, no previous Civ game has had anything remotely similar to the "cartoony" look Civ 6 currently has

Actually

Spoiler

free-sid-meiers-civilization-revolution-

Civilization Revolution

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I would wait until Civ 6 is actually released, before I would bet on that. But when the Summer Sale hits steam, you'll probably find most/all of the BE DLC on for 75%+ discount.

I know that, and who would have guessed? i already have BE, must have got it from an HumbleBundle, didn't even remember about it :P 

Just have to wait for the DLC discounts now

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Actually

Reveal hidden contents

Civilization Revolution

I know that, and who would have guessed? i already have BE, must have got it from an HumbleBundle, didn't even remember about it :P 

Just have to wait for the DLC discounts now

I have so many games that I picked up via Steam Sales and Humble Bundles now that I honestly have to check, since I have so many that I can't remember it all :P

On 5/12/2016 at 4:44 PM, dalekphalm said:

Also, you stroking out "New" and replacing it with "different" is semantics. It's both new and different. By being new, it's also by definition, automatically different. As far as I'm aware, no previous Civ game has had anything remotely similar to the "cartoony" look Civ 6 currently has.

the art style is not new. is it new to civ? maybe.. but the art style is not new.

"hey check out this TV show, its new!"

"um no, I watched this same show a while back"

"well, its new to me.. so its new"

oke.

@suicidalfranco

On 5/12/2016 at 7:21 PM, suicidalfranco said:

frankly it really doesn't bother me, reminds me of Civ Revolution. I prefer the cartoony art style more than the ones trying to reach near perfect realism 

Doesn't have to be "near perfect realism" that is extreme. but it also shouldn't be at the other end of the spectrum. because that is also extreme.

there is balance that can be met. I thought Civ 5 met it. of course it suffers from technical issues due to this, but my hope was civ 6 would address those issues without killing the art style. (imo, this is doable)

edit;

spelling

1 hour ago, Katorice said:

the art style is not new. is it new to civ? maybe.. but the art style is not new.

"hey check out this TV show, its new!"

"um no, I watched this same show a while back"

"well, its new to me.. so its new"

oke.

@suicidalfranco

Doesn't have to be "near perfect realism" that is extreme. but it also shouldn't be at the other end of the spectrum. because that is also extreme.

there is balance that can be met. I thought Civ 5 met it. of course it suffers from technical issues due to this, but my hope was civ 6 would address those issues without killing the art style. (imo, this is doable)

edit;

spelling

Obviously the art style is not new in it's entirety. The "New to civ" was implicitly implied, and it should be obvious that in the context of this conversation. Almost no art style is completely "new" in video games these days.

14 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Obviously the art style is not new in it's entirety. The "New to civ" was implicitly implied, and it should be obvious that in the context of this conversation.

" Seems to me like Civ 6 is going for a completely new Art Style. "

how can this be obvious from that sentence? you stressed "completely new"

this implies that its new to civ and not just "completely new"? well, suppose my interpretation skills are not the best but I did not get "new to civ" from "completely new" thats why I added "different".

its the internet. leaving things open to interpretation isn't the best of ideas, imo.

On 12/05/2016 at 6:46 PM, Maybach123 said:

that was one of the things i saw the most on the reddit thread

On 12/05/2016 at 6:45 PM, Inkz said:

Let's see how aggressive Gandhi is this time.

Gandhi always had a low aggression scale in every Civ game, however the devs always gave him the highest nuke scale as a joke. So usually he isnt much of a bother ... until he gets nukes.

In Civ V though, he was considered to have one of, if not the worst unique ability. I never even played him because of how much that UA sucked.

Linus is my fetish.

Somewhat on topic, thought Id post this Civ V screenie here to also bump this thread:

GiPCOml.jpg 

Why is that gems producing 4 faith? I have the pantheon that gives them +2 faith because I got a map with 6 gems and a pearls all for me, but this one is producing 2 extra faith for some reason.

Linus is my fetish.

On 12/05/2016 at 5:30 PM, Bhav said:

I don't even bother with multiplayer for Civ games. I'd rather they focus on making the single player as good as they can.

I think multiplayer is great, but only on LAN

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)