AdoredTV: Nvidia Pascal GTX 1080 & GTX 1070 - Maxwell on Speed

Okjoek

I began watching this guy's videos about a month ago and he's been a great help learning to understand how computer hardware works and is marketed. He actually mentions Linus in this video too. Apology in advance if somebody already posted this because I did in fact look to see.

He's the Scotsman of speculation. 

But Pascal is being over-hyped rather badly. And people wonder why Nvidia fanboys get referred to, as Nvidiots.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

1 minute ago, Fulgrim said:

I love his accent too. He's like the AMD focused Linus.

9 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

But Pascal is being over-hyped rather badly. And people wonder why Nvidia fanboys get referred to, as Nvidiots.

Best avatar ever, +1 would advise a friend.

And you're right

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I do enjoy watching his videos... Manages to go into the brutal details of each device, without boring me...

On the point of pascal, he does raise some good points on how the lack of hard, non nvidia released info makes it hard to gauge real world gaming performance.

Their slides made even me railed up but thats their only purpose and when looking at it logically, everything seems a bit "overfluffed"

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

2 hours ago, Fulgrim said:

But being hyped about AMD products is fine, right?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

2 minutes ago, juretrn said:

But being hyped about AMD products is fine, right?

Did i state that in this thread?  Nope.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Just now, Fulgrim said:

Did i state that in this thread?  Nope.

Calling out just one side is a bit hypocritical then IMO.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

8 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Well, the topic of conversation is NVIDIA graphics cards, so not really...

I disagree, there's always the other side in our minds when talking about either company's products. 

However, this is nothing new, there have always been underhanded marketing tactics to help market GPUs. 

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, juretrn said:

Calling out just one side is a bit hypocritical then IMO.

Not at all.

This forum, and i presume most other tech forums are being spammed by people that are hyped about the new Nvidia cards, despite there not being any proper gaming benchmarks yet, to justify their price over what's currently available.

The amount of Polaris hype is minuscule at the moment. And anyone with any sense of logic, would wait for real-world benchmarks, preferably gaming benchmarks to be released for both Nvidia & AMD offerings. And then for me personally at least, my bank account is what makes the final decision.

p.s, suck me toes lad

4 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

Not at all.

This forum, and i presume most other tech forums are being spammed by people that are hyped about the new Nvidia cards, despite there not being any proper gaming benchmarks yet, to justify their price over what's currently available.

The amount of Polaris hype is minuscule at the moment. And anyone with any sense of logic, would wait for real-world benchmarks, preferably gaming benchmarks to be released for both Nvidia & AMD offerings. And then for me personally at least, my bank account is what makes the final decision.

p.s, suck me toes lad

Where have you been for the last 6 months? Any time you would ask about anything Nvidia in came the AMD fans "**** Gimpworks, AMD has open source, 390 wrecks 970, DX12 will kill Nvidia" and so on. I had to go underground to talk about my 980ti because it was so bad. Even on social media it was go red or **** off. Nothing but death to Nvidia.

Now that Pascal launched the same people are sucking Nvidia's ####, so what? All they care about is following the trend. Let'em.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I disagree with his views on why there are two different prices. Essentially, his claim is that the reference is released earlier for a higher price due to GDDR5X being in low supply. So Nvidia is early launching the card, and then artificially reducing reducing demand by taking a higher profit and clearly announcing that their partners are recommended to sell their cards at the 600USD price range.

I believe Nvidia is intentionally recommending a lower price to their partners, in order to claim that their 700USD card is in fact a 600USD card. And in my opinion, it's fraudulent to claim that the card will launch at anything but the 700USd price that Nvidia is asking. They are trying to confuse the consumers with good old marketing. If there is a shortage late May, there will be a shortage through June.

As for the claim that memory bandwidth is hampering the 1080, i think he is spot on. The 1080 may be packing GDDR5X memory, but it's still only a 256 bit wide buss. 2500MHZ * 4 * 256 / 8 = 320GB/s. Which is lower than the 980Ti, with it's 384 bit 7Gb/s per lane. And the actual speed of GDDR5X is within my predicted range of 2500-3000MHZ.

The reason for the narrow buss width is to 1. save space on the die, in order to make room for more cores 2. Save money on memory chips, as a 384 bit or a 512 bit interface would demand 12 or 16 memory chips respectively.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

1 hour ago, juretrn said:

I disagree, there's always the other side in our minds when talking about either company's products.

Just apply this in practice for a minute and you'll see you don't really follow this standard in most conversation.

If someone asks about an ASUS motherboard, and another person replies "it's a good board, but ASUS customer service tends to be pretty bad" are you going to say "oh and everyone else's is great? Why didn't you mention this company or that company? Are you trying to say everyone has great customer service except ASUS?"

If someone is talking about Assassin's Creed Unity and they say "this game is really buggy", are you going to reply "what about every other game that's buggy? Why don't you mention them? Are you trying to suggest that every other game is great and only this one is buggy? Other games are buggy too! You can't just call out this one and none of the others!"

If someone posts an article about a new iPhone that just came out, someone reads over the specs and says "man, that's really overpriced", are you going to say "why didn't you mention the latest Samsung phone? Why didn't you mention this HTC phone over here? Are you trying to say only Apple has overpriced phones??"

And so forth.

8 hours ago, Fulgrim said:

Reality check - all new products are over hyped. Look at AMD Zen for a current equivalent from them.

Its called marketing.

Linus is my fetish.

Finally, honest information.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

I like Adored TV's videos, but Pascal isn't Maxwell on Speed. The design looks more like GCN, than it does Maxwell.

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

I am still very curious. If anyone has a chip diagram, and/or know the physical size of the die.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

I wait at least one more Year bevore i even think about a new GPU. But looks like those new Cards can handle things well.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

All I can say is while I can respect the performance of a AMD gpu I will never buy one.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.