Virtu MVP

Go to solution Solved by SkilledRebuilds,

While switching to the igpu is great and all for certain tasks on laptops, it wouldnt be worth it for the desktop.. they have implemented opencl and cuda so much further that if your a gamer, you'd choose one of these two over quicksync.

While a small hassle..still a hassle for not much improvement... Apart from installing the drivers, and manually selecting what to be switched or not to dedicated, plus the encoding speed boost, which isnt that much faster than using your dedicated 7950 using OpenCL for video encoding.

Was a big thing about the time of sandy bridge, ever since, GPU assisted encoding has been taken seriously and it used for both Nvidia/AMD without needing to enable the intel quicksync option.

Needly to say the 7950 also declocks on idle to 300/150, so thats power saved which defeats the purpose of using the iGPU for saving power...

There are other featured of MVPVirtu like adaptive vsync and alternate frame deliver modes... which may be of use...

But for encoding/switching chips to save power - not worth it.

So i have gotten this piece of software called wirtu mvp with my mobo and i know it is supposed to be helpful for at least those using integrated graphics, but is it any use for when i am already using a discrete gpu.

i have noticed that there was an option between Dgpu and Igpu, will i benefit from this at all or can i just get rid of it, (i have a HD7950 so its no exactly a low end GPU) also what do you guys think about free programs that come with hardware in general.

And if you are interested my Mobo is in my sig and the stuff i got with it was of course Virtu and also some CyberLink MediaEspresso thingy, the rest was just xfast usb, lan and ram, are they any use?

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

i think you can use the igpu for media coding but im not sure 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

It's useful. Virtu becomes a power and heat saving feature when you add a discreet card. It will automatically switch between integrated graphics for low work loads and switch over to the GPU when there is demand.

Xfast USB I'm pretty sure does work. as for the LAN, why not? Cyberlink probably not useful.

Error: 410

I've used it but I had issues with most of my games, some of them ran like crap but most of them wouldn't run at all so I turned it off. I would be useful I think if you had a low end GPU but anything mid range or higher and it's useless.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

You can use virtu MVP for media encoding/transcoding.  Using virtu MVP + Nvidia graphics cards on the intel platform allows you to leverage more power to media encoding/transcoding thus completing the task far quicker than without it.  In order to utilize it properly, the coding software must have support for it.  Aside from that I have no idea what else virtu MVP does.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Most people have a lot of issues with Virtu MVP, and all noticed performance degradation in games, as the GPU memory needs to be transferred to the Intel GPU memory.

It's not worth it.

MSI afterburner beta 14 (and now 15) can encode your gameplay with minimal CPU usage. The key part is its using quicksync (haswell cpu only).. Which means your fps stays high and the video files you create are much lower in size compared to fraps. You don't need virtumvp at all if u are running Win8, just win 7 needs that virtumvp software.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

While switching to the igpu is great and all for certain tasks on laptops, it wouldnt be worth it for the desktop.. they have implemented opencl and cuda so much further that if your a gamer, you'd choose one of these two over quicksync.

While a small hassle..still a hassle for not much improvement... Apart from installing the drivers, and manually selecting what to be switched or not to dedicated, plus the encoding speed boost, which isnt that much faster than using your dedicated 7950 using OpenCL for video encoding.

Was a big thing about the time of sandy bridge, ever since, GPU assisted encoding has been taken seriously and it used for both Nvidia/AMD without needing to enable the intel quicksync option.

Needly to say the 7950 also declocks on idle to 300/150, so thats power saved which defeats the purpose of using the iGPU for saving power...

There are other featured of MVPVirtu like adaptive vsync and alternate frame deliver modes... which may be of use...

But for encoding/switching chips to save power - not worth it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I guess i am just gonna get rid of it when i do my next round of deleting useless things from my PC.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.