GTX 1080 - The New King

The_Stealthy_Shadow

The specs are here! The 1080 is announced to be a beast!

(Disclaimer: The source of this information is from another site. I do not own any of this information and any misleading information about the upcoming Pascal cards are not my problem therefore, I am not responsible for the information. With caution, I hereby present to you: source of information)

The hammer has dropped on pricing, release dates, and crucial specs for Nvidia’s newest offering: its highly anticipated, high-performance consumer graphics cards. The Nvidia GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 will cost $600 and $380, respectively, when they launch, said Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang, according to Ars Technica. Actual performance numbers and comparisons await reviews, but the specifications and claimed improvements set high expectations.

Sure is these sure are power prices. But wait till you see the specs. But before I can show you that, check out this sexy new reference design:

1080 lel.jpg

Take that, AMD. Although I'm willing to see what reference design AMD brings to the table. But this design is absolutely badass. You know, I'm kind of looking for reasons to upgrade my flagship water-cooled 980 Ti hybrid. I think I just found one. :P (Although, when secondary GPU vendors (MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, Asus) take hold of Pascal, and make a water-cooled version with the same reference design, I'm going to be all "shut up and take my money".)

The GTX 1080 is set to launch May 27

May 27, boi! Gee, that's right around the corner!

The claimed performance jumps over Nvidia’s premium gaming graphics cards, the GTX Titan X and GTX 980Ti, make the new cards’ prices look like a bargain.

They got that right. You see, the 1080 is announced to be $600 dollars and the 1070 $380, and with the large flagship benchmarking performance over the 980 Ti, this is absolutely wonderful. This may sound exactly like the quote above, but I'm saying this from memory.

Nvidia said the GTX 1080 is faster than the GTX Titan X in some functions and three times as energy-efficient.

That might be true, but then again NVidia might be wrong. You see, the Titan X TDP covers about 250W max, and if the 1080 covers three times less energy, then the 1080 on average would cover about 83W max (roughly) which would seem to good to be true considering a GPU at this level of power. I do believe that it will outperform a Titan X however.

There are several reasons to expect faster performance from the new cards. Nvidia uses a new microarchitecture called Pascal in the GPUs  (graphical processing units) for the cards. Microarchitecture is the design of the processor’s electrical circuitry. Faster Micro GDDR5X memory is used on the GTX 1080, while the GTX 1070 uses GDDR5 memory components. The company also said the cards are manufactured with a lean manufacturing process called TSMC 16nm FinFET, which may not affect performance, but does minimize waste.

GDDR5X should be good, some told me. Others told me it was just a mere gag and GDDR5X will have no benefit from regular GDDR5. This quote shows me just who to believe.

So, Pascal might seem like hype train coal, what do you guys think. This is some awesome information about the power of these GPUs. I can't wait to upgrade the day after the May 27th.

RIP Arctica 2.0 (December 2015 - September 2016) You were the best freezing cold gaming/video editing/CAD PC I've ever built.

"Look deep into nature, and then you would understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

"Discontent is the first necessity of progress." - Thomas Edison

"No." - Linus Sebastian

Spoiler

Arctic Raider (Main Rig) - CPU: i5-6600K @ 4.4 GHz | CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 | Mobo: Asus Z170-A | Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 | Video Card: Asus GTX 1070 Dual Series | HDD: 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 | SSD: 512GB Sandisk X400 M.2-2280 | Case: Corsair Carbide 400C (White) | PSU: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA P2 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Cooler Master Octane | Mouse: pre-installed with keyboard | Headphones: Corsair Void 7.1 Channel | Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 1440p | Fans: 2x 140mm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition; 1x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition | Modding/Extras: BitFenix Alchemy 2.0 Black/White Sleeved Cables; Tingkam RGB LEDs (2 x30cm); Solid Base Elite Headphone Stand; Reflex Lab White-Stitched Mousepad

This has been posted a few times. Locked.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/592460-nvidia-gtx-1080-and-1070-announced/

You should probably skim some titles and see if your news has already been posted, especially if it's a major launch like this. There's like a half dozen threads with "GTX 1080" in the title on the first page of this section alone.