New motherboard but dont want to re install windows.

JackieWackie

I currently have windows 7 ultimate but want to upgrade my motherboard + cpu. Will I need to re install windows? Ive hear people can without re installing windows. How do you install a new motherboard without re installing a fresh os? I dont want to lose my data want to use the same ssd + hdd.

Just plug in the SSD / HDD into the motherboard.

Or back up windows. Install windows. Restore from backup.

Only problem will be the driver issue because old motherboard drivers won't work with new ones.

It's better to do a fresh install TBH.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Is a coin toss, sometimes changing the motherboard will still let your windows boot, recognize all the new hardware and work perfectly.

But sometimes, you get a BSOD at the beginning and won't let you boot,  when this happens I have tried booting in safemode, it recognizes a few of the changes and then restart, boot safe mode again to recognize more stuff, then boot normally and it usually works.

there is however times when none of those options will work, then your last option is to inject the drivers of your new motherboard into windows,  I have only had to do this once, was a bit complicated, but worked.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

If its OEM windows you have no choice.

No its a crosshair iv switching to z87 gryfon 

Is a coin toss, sometimes changing the motherboard will still let your windows boot, recognize all the new hardware and work perfectly.

But sometimes, you get a BSOD at the beginning and won't let you boot,  when this happens I have tried booting in safemode, it recognizes a few of the changes and then restart, boot safe mode again to recognize more stuff, then boot normally and it usually works.

there is however times when none of those options will work, then your last option is to inject the drivers of your new motherboard into windows,  I have only had to do this once, was a bit complicated, but worked.

Lets say if it works. what do i do from there?

No its a crosshair iv switching to z87 gryfon 

You completely disregarded what I said. It doesn't matter what motherboard you have and are switching to. It matters which version of windows you have.

It's not the best practice, but it just might boot with no issues. Just need to uninstall any old drivers and put the latest mobo drivers in there. I did the same when I moved from my old 1366 build to Haswell originally and had no issues. You might have to reactivate windows though. But eventually I would just bite the bullet and reinstall. I ended up putting a clean install when moving from Windows 8 to 8.1 a few weeks ago.  

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro

Lets say if it works. what do i do from there?

Nothing really, you are all set, windows, your programs and files will be exactly as they were before you switched motherboards.   You may have to activate windows again, but is not too much of a problem.  

Even if it was a OEM license, Microsoft can let you activate a new board if you mention that your old one died and is impossible to find a replacement of the exact same model you had before.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Even if it was a OEM license, Microsoft can let you activate a new board if you mention that your old one died and is impossible to find a replacement of the exact same model you had before.

If its non-branded oem there might not be need to even call to microsoft. My home premium went through activation with just internet.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Windows should be fine, only issue I'd think of are the drivires

AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX 770 DirectCUII, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, CORSAIR TX 750, CORSAIR VEANGENCE BLACK 8GB'S 1600Mhz, Hyper 212 evo, Aerocool Strike-X GT, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Asus CrapReader 

It will probably work but make sure that you didn't get the OEM license as it is locked onto the motherboard. Heard that some people contacted Microsoft Support and were able to do it though. If you don't re install windows, you would probably run into issues with the old drivers when you are installing new ones.

Here a screenshot of the faq: http://prntscr.com/9537y

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/42690-63-reinstall-windows-motherboard#9724215

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer