Steam OS Discussion

NinjaStyle013

So, steam has released details that they're creating a Linux based OS that focuses on gaming and media. Because it's a new OS however, devs have to port games or develop them for the new OS. What do you guys think about this? Is it going to work?

I personally think that SteamOS is going to be great but not necessarily a massive success. I love it because if it gets enough dev support low cost systems are really going to pack that extra punch (because it's been built for gaming, they can get graphics performance boosts at OS level) and because I love APUs, I can build a very cheap yet nicely powerful system.

If mods think this is for operating systems, I didn't put it there because I wanted to talk about hardware too.

This has been posted like 6 times today already... Why do people always think hot topics haven't been posted yet?

I think Steam OS will have a dedicated following, but as with all new OS, there will be massive bugs. Steam wasn't perfect when it first game out. Neither was Android, iOS, etc.

But it'll be an on going process.

I'm more interested in their update system. Small patches then once a year major update? Or update every week or so like Steam?

What about being on a disc instead of digital only because sometimes your HTPC isn't always hooked up to the internet.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I think Steam OS will have a dedicated following, but as with all new OS, there will be massive bugs. Steam wasn't perfect when it first game out. Neither was Android, iOS, etc.

But it'll be an on going process.

I'm more interested in their update system. Small patches then once a year major update? Or update every week or so like Steam?

What about being on a disc instead of digital only because sometimes your HTPC isn't always hooked up to the internet.

Good question about the discs, steam can't be made to run offline for piracy reasons...

This has been posted like 6 times today already... Why do people always think hot topics haven't been posted yet?

this is a discussion that a news article ^_^

-snip-

I hope this is true as I'll finally be able to give console gamers something like the xbox 360 os or PS3 OS to make them shut up about user friendlyness

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

this is a discussion that a news article ^_^

-snip-

I hope this is true as I'll finally be able to give console gamers something like the xbox 360 os or PS3 OS to make them shut up about user friendlyness

I was thinking of the same thing, it's a good inbetween for consoles and pcs.

I doub't ''AAA'' titles will support it. Some devs already struggle to port it to PC's. With games being poorly ported to PC already, imagine devs trying to port games to a completely new system, the optimisation would be even more horrible. Besides that, if it's a steam OS, the users will miss out on ''big'' origin and uplay titles

AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX 770 DirectCUII, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, CORSAIR TX 750, CORSAIR VEANGENCE BLACK 8GB'S 1600Mhz, Hyper 212 evo, Aerocool Strike-X GT, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Asus CrapReader 

For any decent studio to make games playable on SteamOS will not be a problem at all. But a point of SteamOS is the ability to stream games from your main PC so porting it over really isn't anything to worry about.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

It's based on Linux, So It might be it just runs Linux games? If so, please yes, as that will give moar linux support. Which is amazing. Yes. 

Also, seems like a good idea for htpc's and such.

*Thumbs up*

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.