Sleeved cable popped out of ATX, is this safe to run?

fletch to 99
Go to solution Solved by fletch to 99,
On 5/9/2016 at 11:26 AM, CableMod said:

any time - service is part of the product and CableMod Experience. :)

Thanks! Got the replacement put in my computer the other day! Thanks again for the quick replacement :)

Hey Fellow modders,

I just got my sleeved cable kit I ordered from NCIX (http://secure1.ncix.com/products/?sku=106715) and when I was installing it one of the cables popped out of the 24 Pin ATX connector. Specifically pin 8 which according to this diagram (http://image.pinout.net/pinout_13_pin_files/24-pin-atx-pinout.gif) is the PWR_OK pin.  Perhaps this was a bad idea but I tested to boot and everything seems to be running fine. I was wondering if you guys think it would be safe to continue using it this way? I've pushed the cable back into the pin, but it's not firmly in there, so I doubt it's operating "properly" though there have been no noticeable side effects. If not, is this something I would be able to properly fix on my own? 

Thanks for the help!

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read hexadecimal and F the rest.

~Fletch

How is the pin sitting inside the connector? How easy is it to pull out? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It looks like the metal pin itself is still in the plastic, while the cable & sleeve has come out. The cable comes really easily out of the plastic connector. Let me know if you also need images.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read hexadecimal and F the rest.

~Fletch

46 minutes ago, fletch to 99 said:

It looks like the metal pin itself is still in the plastic, while the cable & sleeve has come out. The cable comes really easily out of the plastic connector. Let me know if you also need images.

Pictures would be good.  Running with a loose cable is NOT a good idea.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

8 minutes ago, AddonCustoms said:

Pictures would be good.  Running with a loose cable is NOT a good idea.

59 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Here are some images. On the hole where the cable goes there's the number 8.

1. Cable which came out:

IMG_0700.JPG

2. My attempt at pushing it back in. (just put it in the hole and pushed using a small pin to get the cable in as far as possible)

IMG_0699.JPG

~Fletch

3 minutes ago, fletch to 99 said:

Here are some images. On the hole where the cable goes there's the number 8.

1. Cable which came out:

2. My attempt at pushing it back in. (just put it in the hole and pushed using a small pin to get the cable in as far as possible)

I would definitely send it back for a replacement. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I would definitely send it back for a replacement. 

Is this something I can fix on my own? I've also contacted @CableMod just in case.

~Fletch

1 minute ago, fletch to 99 said:

Is this something I can fix on my own? I've also contacted @CableMod just in case.

You probably could, but if you break it(to the point of it being unusable), your warranty is likely going to be voided, so I would just have them replace it.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

You probably could, but if you break it, your warranty is likely going to be voided, so I would just have them replace it.

Ah ok. I'll wait until I hear back from cable mods then.

~Fletch

7 hours ago, fletch to 99 said:

Ah ok. I'll wait until I hear back from cable mods then.

we already got back to your email and will replace you the faulty cable by Express.

7 hours ago, CableMod said:

we already got back to your email and will replace you the faulty cable by Express.

Yep I saw the email! Replying now, thanks so much!

~Fletch

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2016 at 11:26 AM, CableMod said:

any time - service is part of the product and CableMod Experience. :)

Thanks! Got the replacement put in my computer the other day! Thanks again for the quick replacement :)

~Fletch

2 hours ago, fletch to 99 said:

very welcome - thanks for supporting us! :)