GTX 970, 980, 980ti, Titan X owners opinion on new 1080 and 1070

As nvidia has claimed that there new gtx 1080 will be equivalent in computing power to two gtx 980's in sli I wonder how the market is going to go. Are people who currently have a 980 sell their's and buy a 1080 or will they not see it fit to buy a new graphics card.

3 minutes ago, spaceface102 said:

As nvidia has claimed that there new gtx 1080 will be equivalent in computing power to two gtx 980's in sli I wonder how the market is going to go. Are people who currently have a 980 sell their's and buy a 1080 or will they not see it fit to buy a new graphics card.

I'm pretty sure most people are going to wait until independent reviews have come out before doing anything.

I typically err on the side of caution when taking the word of someone who is trying to get you to buy their product lol.

6 minutes ago, spaceface102 said:

we'd have to wait for the reviews and benchmarks to come out

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

The SLI claim sounds like a load of marketing shit. Equivalent under exacting conditions (VR) maybe, if not out and out lies.

Wait for real gaming benchmarks. As for what will happen... it's not like the 900 series is bad or anything.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

3 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I'm pretty sure most people are going to wait until independent reviews have come out before doing anything.

I typically err on the side of caution when taking the word of someone who is trying to get you to buy their product lol.

That said, I'd bet those who are the type to run 980tis or 980ti SLI will almost certainly all be upgrading, and selling their existing cards off at a fantastic price :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

12 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

just like e3 game démos, don't trust them

If the benchmarks hold true and are confirmed by independent sources I am probably going to get a 1070 later this year. I might even go for the 1080 if I can sell my 970 and my 760 at a good price.

2 minutes ago, Flowey said:

Double racist. no AMD owners?

No need - they're used to being behind so moving "the best" further ahead doesn't change anything

5643ac1f50d2de390e3995ae

/jk it was too good an opportunity to pass up xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No need - they're used to being behind so moving "the best" further ahead doesn't change anything

5643ac1f50d2de390e3995ae

/jk it was too good an opportunity to pass up xD 

Ouch. Well if your talking about CPU of course, otherwise I beg to differ reagrding GPU

2 minutes ago, pedro69 said:

If the benchmarks hold true and are confirmed by independent sources I am probably going to get a 1070 later this year. I might even go for the 1080 if I can sell my 970 and my 760 at a good price.

I doubt any 900 series or older cards are going to sell for a good price now that Pascal's performance has been announced.  Yes, I know we still need 3rd parties to verify it, but I've already seen people saying they have seen massive price drops on used 980 ti's just since the announcement.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I doubt any 900 series or older cards are going to sell for a good price now that Pascal's performance has been announced.  Yes, I know we still need 3rd parties to verify it, but I've already seen people saying they have seen massive price drops on used 980 ti's just since the announcement.

This is definitely true for the US market, but here down south it is a bit different. High end PC parts are much more expensive to begin with (my 970 G1 costs new about $400 USD) and used GTX 760's still go for $150 USD or more. I usually buy my GPU's in the US directly and have friends bring me them the next time they come down.

59 minutes ago, spaceface102 said:

Without reading any other opinion, I will tell you mine - I have a GTX 980 as you can see, and yes GTX1080 is faster than 2 of those in SLI, but I have decided to let Star Citizen (when it launches next year) to dictate which GPU and monitor I will be upgrading to. That means that if an AMD Vega card wins with just 5 FPS over the Big Pascal (GTX1080Ti), I will pick it, even if 99% of the NEW games (including BF1) play better on NVidia cards.

For anybody else that has a 980 or 970 or older card, this upgrade is well worth it I think, and it will give you a good boost in performance. I do however recommend not to hurry (yet) for getting it and see what Polaris looks like and then take the shot, but I decided - my next upgrade will only be for that 1 game, I do not care if AMD bankrupts a day before I buy their Vega card, if it wins on this one single benchmark.

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Nice input all of you it's great to hear the opinion of others. Personally I do agree that they might be skewing the charts and saying that 1080 is equal to 980's in sli seems a little far fetched to me. But if they do manage to do it, well I am already sending my prayers to Amd. If your stuff is not on par to pascal we better start saying good bye. Hopefully amd can come back strong.

9 hours ago, pedro69 said:

This is definitely true for the US market, but here down south it is a bit different. High end PC parts are much more expensive to begin with (my 970 G1 costs new about $400 USD) and used GTX 760's still go for $150 USD or more. I usually buy my GPU's in the US directly and have friends bring me them the next time they come down.

Stuff's expensive here too, mainly because the dollar is weak right now but that shouldn't matter since it's all relative.  If product A sells for X and performs twice as good as B, B's going to have to sell for a lot less than X I think :)