Just Bought The 390.

Hello,

I bought an R9 390 a couple of days ago for my new pc build and today I came across the new Nvidia GTX 1070 & 1080.

I am wondering if I have made a mistake and if so what I should do about it. My R9 390 hasn't been touched and I am in need of an upgrade.

Please help.

1 minute ago, NotOnTheGuestList said:

Hello,

I bought an R9 390 a couple of days ago for my new pc build and today I came across the new Nvidia GTX 1070 & 1080.

I am wondering if I have made a mistake and if so what I should do about it. My R9 390 hasn't been touched and I am in need of an upgrade.

Please help.

Wait a month or two (returning the 390 ofc) and pay $80-$100 more, or game now... your choice.

3 minutes ago, NotOnTheGuestList said:

Hello,

Please help.

Well if you're really concerned, return the card. Wait until Polaris and Pascal are being sold and benchmarks are out and then get a new card. Or if the retailer you bought from has a decent return policy then just use the card for now and if Pascal and Polaris have been reviewed and are being sold then return your 390 and get which ever you want. Though the 390 is still a decent card regardless.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

4 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Well if you're really concerned, return the card. Wait until Polaris and Pascal are being sold and benchmarks are out and then get a new card. Or if the retailer you bought from has a decent return policy then just use the card for now and if Pascal and Polaris have been reviewed and are being sold then return your 390 and get which ever you want. Though the 390 is still a decent card regardless.

If the R9 390 is good enough, I won't have to go through the hassle. The store I bought from I think has a damaged goods only return policy (mwave). The thing that got me was that they are almost identical in price. What do you think?

1 minute ago, NotOnTheGuestList said:

If the R9 390 is good enough, I won't have to go through the hassle. The store I bought from I think has a damaged goods only return policy (mwave). The thing that got me was that they are almost identical in price. What do you think?

That's an interesting policy. 

I like AMD, so I'd say you'll be fine with the 390 for a few years to come unless you want to use a higher resolution later on down the road but that could just be a cost of upgrading to a higher resolution.

5 minutes ago, wcreek said:

That's an interesting policy. 

I like AMD, so I'd say you'll be fine with the 390 for a few years to come unless you want to use a higher resolution later on down the road but that could just be a cost of upgrading to a higher resolution.

I'm only using 1080p, anything more exceeds my budget. I guess i'll be fine I just panicked a bit.

Thanks for the help.

2 minutes ago, NotOnTheGuestList said:

I'm only using 1080p, anything more exceeds my budget. I guess i'll be fine I just panicked a bit.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, a 390 should be plenty for 1080p for at least a few years to come. Likely, the 1070 and 1080 will be rather overkill for regular 1080p gaming.