Windows 10 is deactivated after mobo replacement.

Hello all,

After replacing a dead motherboard, and upgrading to a better PSU and GPU, i got a message from windows that they are not activated. I know that windows are activated into the motherboard. Is there any way I can do something to get them back? I will also ask microsoft. 

Project "Transcend": i7 7700k-R9 380 4GB by MSi, Z170-HD3P

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $453 ($123 with sales)
  • Games owned: 76
  • Games not played: 40 (53%)
  • Hours on record: 667.0h

if it is retail yes, with 7, 8,10 key... if it is OEM officially no, but you can, though it is against the licensing. But 7, 8, 10 retail keys, just call and say you swapped motherboards and they'll help reactivate it

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

You should just be able to right click on 'This PC' go to Properties and click Activate.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, HrutkayMods said:

if it is retail yes, with 7, 8,10 key... if it is OEM officially no, but you can, though it is against the licensing. But 7, 8, 10 retail keys, just call and say you swapped motherboards and they'll help reactivate it

I called the company that did both the original pc and the upgrade, they said that i will need to reactivate windows. Is there any way to find the product key with the account it is registered?

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You should just be able to right click on 'This PC' go to Properties and click Activate.

No shit, i dont have the product key.

If you've got a 7 or 8/.1 key then give it a try, all it can do is reject it or accept it. As long as you upgraded from an old OS your old key SHOULD be good to go.

If not then yeah, you'll have to ring MS and ask them to reactivate for you, @HrutkayMods is correct in that they should only reactivate retail keys but in my experience they usually don't argue even if its an OEM key, just tell them your old board died and you had to replace it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, HrutkayMods said:

This is an OEM.

3 minutes ago, slanensis said:

No shit, i dont have the product key.

Without a product key you're screwed because you'll need it to generate they 50 digit activation code for use over the phone. The OEM is supposed to put the product key sticker on the PC and if they didn't do that you need to call them up and tell them to send you the key.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Without a product key you're screwed because you'll need it to generate they 50 digit activation code for use over the phone. The OEM is supposed to put the product key sticker on the PC and if they didn't do that you need to call them up and tell them to send you the key.

if i press remove PC under https://account.microsoft.com/devices, what will happen. this is licenced under the broken MOBO.

just try to reactivate through activation, your old key should still be stored. If it doesn't activate, click activate by another way and activate by phone, call and read the numbers to the automated system and when asked how many PCs have been activated with this copy say "one". it should give you the activation key then, if not it'll just connect you to a real person and just tell them your situation and they should be able to give you the key

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

4 minutes ago, HrutkayMods said:

just try to reactivate through activation, your old key should still be stored. If it doesn't activate, click activate by another way and activate by phone, call and read the numbers to the automated system and when asked how many PCs have been activated with this copy say "one". it should give you the activation key then, if not it'll just connect you to a real person and just tell them your situation and they should be able to give you the key

yeah, but where could it be stored?

You don't actually need your key...

Open a command prompt as admin

Type in "SLUI 4"

Hit enter

You should now see the phone activation wizard, follow it through by ringing the number and entering your installation ID, the wizard will put you through to an agent, tell him your board died and you had to swap it out and hope he reactivates it for you.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On 5/7/2016 at 1:48 PM, slanensis said:

yeah, but where could it be stored?

like said above just do phone activation, if the install was activated once it can be reactivated

On 5/9/2016 at 3:33 AM, HrutkayMods said:

like said above just do phone activation, if the install was activated once it can be reactivated

So i should call microsoft?

On 5/10/2016 at 0:47 AM, slanensis said:

So i should call microsoft?

sorry I missed this, I've been away. This is probably too late but... Yes if it won't reactivate call the number it gives you for activation and give the automated activation system your string of activation numbers, and if it asks how many computers have been activated with this copy of windows say "one" and it should give you a string of activation numbers to activate

16 hours ago, HrutkayMods said:

sorry I missed this, I've been away. This is probably too late but... Yes if it won't reactivate call the number it gives you for activation and give the automated activation system your string of activation numbers, and if it asks how many computers have been activated with this copy of windows say "one" and it should give you a string of activation numbers to activate

I have noticed something: The issue happens randomly. So, for example, the watermark does not exist.

22 hours ago, slanensis said:

I have noticed something: The issue happens randomly. So, for example, the watermark does not exist.

it happens unactivated Windows installs a lot, it'll be there one moment and gone the next. When you activate it'll be gone for good