Haswell E and Folding

Hi Everyone,

Recently I was looking at some of the Haswell-E and DDR4 news. Will the newest Extreme Edition processors help folding with their 8 cores + 8 threads? and what about Adata's 128gb RAM dimm's? if there were 8 slots that would be 1.024 Terabytes of RAM. Surely those things would help folding?

Also I think Intel in going to be refreshing their Xeon CPU lineup with a whole smack load of new processors. I can't wait to see some insane server builds with those.\

By the way, I am not part of any folding team but would like to join the LTT one when I can actually get a decent computer up and running. I just have a couple of parts left that I need. (CPU, case,) I just have to wait for the BST then I can sell my 3970x and get a beastly folding rig built. I dont know about beastly, but functioning yes. :)

Thanks for the input.

Heres the links

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/56754-adata-showed-off-a-picture-of-its-single-module-32gb-ddr4/?hl=+adata%20+128gb

http://uk.hardware.info/news/37026/idf-ddr4-and-haswell-ep-demonstrated

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Having more cores and threads will only help if Folding@home can see that many threads. With regards to RAM, it'll only benefit if the Folding@home task actually uses all that RAM.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Eh. Just get 4 titans/290x and start folding.

I don't expect to see a huge folding difference between Ivy-E and Haswell-E. Just few thousand or so more PPD

Eh. Just get 4 titans/290x and start folding.

Hahaha yeah good idea.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

If I remember correctly RAM doesn't affect folding at all and hyper-threading helps with folding but since it's not actual cores you won't be able to do the big advance projects that gives you the most points.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

As @Kayn says - for Folling, 2GB is all you need. :) So no, I don't see 128GB sticks making much of a difference, except in the wallet. :)

As for Haswell... it is all relative. Remember, as Kayn says, 8 of those cores are "hyper-threaded" ones, which on a good give you may a 30% boost. But if you have something hammering your 8 primary cores, you won't have much left for the hyper-threaded core. Also, although you will have "16 cores" - in order to get access to bigadv projects, you need to fold in Linux on ubuntu - and I can tell you now, that 8 core chip will fail every WU.

I just recently did some testing on two Xeon 6 core units. 12 real cores, 24 HT ones - and I could just barely complete a WU in the time limit, on bigadv projects. Also, these chips are only about 1.5 years old. My second 4P system, 24 real cores, on AMD 8000 series chips, so older and cheaper, complete WU's faster and net me almost 50% more PPD...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99