ASUS MX239H vs ASUS MX279H vs ASUS PB278Q

Optimus Prime

Okay so I'm sorry about making another one of these threads but after getting the wonderful advice from the previous thread and deciding that the ASUS PB278Q was the monitor for me I noticed that my e-tailer starting stocking the MX series of monitors from ASUS. Now my interest in surround gaming has been growing and I also know that certain games don't support it at all, e.g Skyrim.

So before I ask my question here is the specs to the PC i will be building once the 900D and GTX Titan is back in stock (I'll even add the peripherals)

• Corsair 900D
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
  • I5-3570K (might go with a 3770k)
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1886C9
  • EVGA GTX Titan
  • ASUS Xonar Essence ST
  • Corsair AX1200i
  • Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
  • Seagate Barracuda 3TB
  • Pioneer BDR-208EBK
  • Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8
  • SteelSeries Sensei Raw
  • Sennheiser HD598
  • (PLEASE READ IN REGARDS TO PLANNED BUILD: The lack of aftermarket cooling and "excessive" psu is because I will be adding a 2nd titan and watercooling the system once I get the funds together)

Now i'm tempted due to possible space constraints to go with the 23inch MX version over both the 27in MX and the 27in PB278Q but will I notice that missing 4 inches in games like skyrim where I will me forced to use only one screen since it doesn't play well in surround? also added info is at most I will be 120cm (3.93feet) from the monitors.

Thanks for any help/discussion and the long winded post :)

I would just like to inform you that most (popular) games work in Surround, due to the gaming community's modding and tools.

Even Skyrim does work in Surround with some ini modifications. (see: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1318576&mpage=1 )

You will be using 1 screen at all times in Surround, the other screens always look a bit distorted and you can't move you character to that screen. Your main gameplay will always be in the center screen, but the edge screens are used for an artistic edge.

What you could do is get 1 larger center 16:9 screen, and 2 smaller 1:1 or 4:3 screens to go on its sides. That gives you the advantage of not losing any action on the center screen, and still getting the goodies of Surround.

yeah, I just found out (in the past hour) that someone has fixed the horrible menu glitch :), also my OCD like habits would crush me if I has one 16:9 and two 4:3 monitors

• 2 weeks later...

just bought an MX279H and its a beautiful monitor, the frame-less design is absolutely beautiful, everyone that sees it stops to take a look at it because of its design. i would probably recommend getting the 23" version for a better pixel density though

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

I would go with the ASUS PB278Q or the Dell U2713HM, while the MX239H is a nice monitor, you have a Titan.. with 6GB of memory... you won't take advantage of it with a 1080p display.

Also, the ASUS and the Dell (uses LG IPS panels) features an adjutsable stand, high build quality, 0 wobble, solid performer, and great colors.

Now if you REALLY want nice colors, look at the Dell U2413, U2713M (notice the lack of H in the monitor model), they are better panels, better back lights outputting true white, and not a blue-cold-white which all white LED back light does. And, also feature 2 color manufacture pre-color calibrated profiles with report: Adobe RGB and sRGB for amazing visuals out of the box (well out of the box, go on the menu of the monitor, and pick either profiles). The U2413 is a 16:10 monitor, so 1920x1200, excellent if you are doing work as well as gaming compared to 1080p, and well the U2713HM and U2713M are obviously higher resolution at 2560x1440.

I would go with the ASUS PB278Q or the Dell U2713HM, while the MX239H is a nice monitor, you have a Titan.. with 6GB of memory... you won't take advantage of it with a 1080p display.

Also, the ASUS and the Dell (uses LG IPS panels) features an adjutsable stand, high build quality, 0 wobble, solid performer, and great colors.

Now if you REALLY want nice colors, look at the Dell U2413, U2713M (notice the lack of H in the monitor model), they are better panels, better back lights outputting true white, and not a blue-cold-white which all white LED back light does. And, also feature 2 color manufacture pre-color calibrated profiles with report: Adobe RGB and sRGB for amazing visuals out of the box (well out of the box, go on the menu of the monitor, and pick either profiles). The U2413 is a 16:10 monitor, so 1920x1200, excellent if you are doing work as well as gaming compared to 1080p, and well the U2713HM and U2713M are obviously higher resolution at 2560x1440.

yeah, as much as I love the design of the mx series I'm probably just going to go with the PB278Q because of the higher resolution and larger screen size, if only they would consider making a mx 2560x1440 with vesa mounts ........

I order the MX279H in mid February from amazon but it looks like they have been out of stock this whole while. Ive seen it at Frys and it looks pretty good but 1080p 27 incher should be a 2-2.5 feet away from your face on your desk, otherwise the image on your desktop may look pixilated but games will look great at any distance. The only advantage I would say going for the MX series would be if you want to expand to surround gaming, the thin bezel will lend to a cleaner screen setup.

Another note, I'd say the price difference between the 3770k and 3570k is a drop in the bucket based on your overall spec. People are saying the 3770k isnt worth it for gaming is starting to loose ground, take crysis 3 for example. You should definitely shell out the extra $100 or so, I think you will regret not spending it later.